Author Topic: anyone able to have a flower or vegetable garden this past summer  (Read 177 times)

irish

• Global Moderator
Now that the tomato season is over and we are into the squash and pumpkin season I got to thinking about all the gardens I had in my previous life. I got to wondering if any of you are still able to have a flower garden or a vegetable garden.

I got some seed catalogs this winter and it made me think of sitting by the wood stove in our TV room during a blizzard many years ago while reading through the seed catalogs. I loved doing that. Never ordered from them but it helped to see what things looked like and what part of the country the plants would grow well. Irish

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: anyone able to have a flower or vegetable garden this past summer
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 08:29:52 PM »
I no longer garden by my wife had a small garden this year. our sumer trips limit our gardens.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carebear

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »
Oh how I miss my yard!  Perennials galore.   Fruit trees, and loads of raspberry bushes that the granddaughters used to love to pick.  Sigh!  My yard was my pride and joy for many, many years.

But we moved to a bungalow condo a year and a half ago so we have no yard of our own.

This year I tried growing annuals in planters that attach to the railing my decks.  The north side grew beautiful coleus and vines.  I'll do this again next year for sure.

But the south side of the place was just too hot.  I couldn't get out to water the plants daily so they didn't do well baking in the sun.  I think I will try to grew succulents in these planters instead next year.  I think they will be more drought tolerant.  Perfect for a  sjoggie with no energy..or no memory!
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
I know what you mean, I had a big flower harder with perennials but I just didn't do it justice after the first 4 years or so. We ended up digging it up. I always had a big vegetable garden and liked to can tomatoes, green beans and freeze a lot of the other things like carrots, broccoli, corn. Loved making jelly and refrigerator pickles. I am the only canning woman I know who flops making dill pickles. Had to give it up. It was so much fun to fix meals and sandwiches with all the stuff from the garden.

In my co-op with a shared garage and very little flowers allowed around here, the gal in the garage next to me (and me) each put a plotted flower next to the garage door. It looked nice and we didn't get hauled before the authorities so will try again next year. Thanks for sharing.l Irish

Carebear

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »
Thank you for this post, Irish.

We were "allowed " to choose perennials that we could plant along a short strip along our sidewalk this year.   I was able to pick plants that I had always had in my yard at the house.  It really made a difference for me psychologically.   Colours I love too.

If I had the energy I would rent a plot at the community garden, but I'm afraid it would be neglected. So I will have to live vicariously through my son who grows a small vegetable garden in his yard.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:15:12 AM »
I managed to have 3 tomato plants and 2 pepper plants in a small sunny patch in my yard. One reason we
bought this bungalow was all the mature trees that give us shade b/c I can't have sun on my skin.
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »
This isn't about gardens but yesterday I drove up to my sons which is a 2 hour plus drive. The land was so beautiful with the farmers in the corn fields and even taking out some late beans. I love this season with the crisp air and smell of fall. At nights the sound of the combines and tractors echoing through the crisp air is also awesome. I guess my hubby did turn me into half a country girl cause I sure do miss the country. irish