Author Topic: Cauterization and METHOTREXATE  (Read 109 times)

karenC

Cauterization and METHOTREXATE
« on: October 07, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »
Good morning, need opinions.  Was diagnosed with Sjogrens over seven years.  Was started on restatsis and pilocarpine.  Along the way tried Evoxac.  Had temp. tear duct plugs and permanent plugs.  Both have fallen out.  Restatsis is no longer working and I find it irritating.  Xiidra and Restatsis are both not within budget even with the pharmacy programs, insurance copays are well over $100.00 per month.  Same with the Evoxac even with the generic. And I work for the insurance company.  Now my eye doctor wants to cauterize my tear ducts.  My rheumatologist understand I am very hesitant to let them cauterize the tear ducts, she started me on methotrexate.  Only been on two months have not notice much of a difference.   Also saw my eye doctor this week and agreed to try temp plugs again.  Pretty sure the left one it out. Researched cauterization on the web, the statistics are not convincing me I should have it done. I am not looking forward to winter again.  Has anyone tried either the cautherization and methotrexate and found relief.  Except for chronic dry eyes and mouth, positive blood work, schimmer's test, swollowing study, that is it.  When it see posts about flares, I have not idea what a flare is. No joint pain.  I feel blessed and lucky.  I would appreciate any imput.  Thanks

happylife

Re: Cauterization and METHOTREXATE
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 07:42:13 AM »
Hi Karen

Have you considered moisture goggles?

Eye gel instead of eye drops.

I used to use eye drops 15 times a day. Now instead i use eye gel 3 times a day.

Liz D.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »
Karen,

I hear ya! After trying plugs several times and they kept falling out, I finally opted to have cauterization.  It was the best decision I’ve ever made for my eyes!  If you do get relief with plugs, then definitely do the cauterization.  You’ll end up saving money as well because you won’t be buying as many eye drops.  Sometimes I get an over abundance of tears in one eye that rolls down my face but very rarely.  And I’d still rather have that than dry eyes and abrasions.

As far as methotrexate, I’m not on that medicine.  I’m still on plaquenil, which has continued to help me now for several years.

Liz D.
54 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Vitamins, calcium, flaxseed oil

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 08:11:30 PM »
I have never had to do anything except the restasis but many people have done the cauterization and as far as I can tell it is not 100%. Because it is such a permanent solution I would advise you to stick with the methotrexate. I was on that med at one time and it takes a while to kick in. Everyone is different. With a couple of months under your belt with the drug you could be close to getting some relief. Sorry I can't be of more help. irish