Author Topic: Do you work full time or part time or unemployed?  (Read 636 times)

bmonahan

Re: Do you work full time or part time or unemployed?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »
I was diagnosed with Sjogren's in 2012, I am sure I had it a few years before my diagnosis.  I worked 35 hours a week as a Registered Nurse. The last two years have been tough for me with joint pain all over, brain fog, peripheral neuropathy, profound fatigue, abdominal pain, muscle pain, insomnia.  I finally "pulled the plug" March of this year. I went out on FMLA for three months and was not able to return as I still couldn't stop flaring. I filed for disability.  I am 49, so it's a very emotional thing for me, not to mention the financial changes for my husband and I. I have been dealing with depression and anxiety with this disease as well.  Three months ago my Rheumatologist diagnosed with me with Fibromyalgia too.  Hopefully many of you will be able to continue working for a long time.  I keep my chin up despite the changes in my life. Things have slowed down for me, I am learning to rest often and not fret too much over little stuff.
Barbara
Sjogren's, Sicca, mixed connective tissue disease, fibromyalgia
symptoms- dry eyes, mouth, nose, fatigue, Joint pain,  peripheral neuropathy

Kararific

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »
I?ve had PSS for 6~ years and it didn?t affect me much until the last year or so. Well, to the point I couldn?t work. I?ve had a myriad of symptoms that may or may not be side effects of SS. I?ve worked 40+ hours since 18y, and rarely went unpaid (due to taking more vacation/sick). Sine the middle of August I?ve worked 5-15 hrs/wk. Debilitating pain, muscle spasms, nausea, headaches, weakness, fatigue, palpitations, dizziness and fatigue.  I?m 42 and considering disability if I don?t start feeling better soon. I?m quite anxious watching my savings dwindle.

I actually don?t know one person in real life (that I am aware of) on disability in my state. I?m naive on the process/what to expect. I?ve read some Sjogrenss stories and that?s all the knowledge I have.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:58:22 PM by Kararific »

vrystaat

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »
I went through heck trying to get Disability Insurance.
Most attorneys were crooked and didn't help me. (This is California).
Finally, I took the insurance company to Court and this resolved the issue after 3 years.
I stated with Sjogren's Syndrome in1982, with the initial problem of Polyneuropathy, with a lot of pain. What I encountered was
frank hostility when I asked for a change in my job duties. Initially I was told to resign by two employers. I took these
former "friends" to Court and won two cases of disability and discrimination against me. After 10 years, I could no
longer work, and had to retire. One problem I encountered was poor job performance when I began to get Sjogrens Fog. Unknown to me,
I was making mistakes (after 10 years). Sjögren’s Syndrome gives many serious problems with your work, and I would recommend going on disability as soon as possible.
The reaction of colleagues and so-called friends is very depressing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:47:23 PM by vrystaat »
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

Judie P

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »
My husband and I own our own business.  I am 67 years old.  We currently put in six days a week and take work home.  My hours are long.  I am surprised that I can get up in the morning, but it is my work that keeps me going.  I recently was sent to a physical therapy center that has a pool with warm water and a underwater treadmill.  For the first time I can walk 30 minutes without any pain.  I feel great afterwards.  Yesterday I went to physical therapy and was forced to see a new therapist.  She talked to me about my age, how crooked I was, etc.  It was very depressing.  Went home and cried.  Never got my pool in.  Because I am now depressed, I feel like I can't move or do anything.  I feel hopeless and old.  The moral of the story is that a healthy state of mind can keep you going just a little bit longer.  Now if I could just lose some weight.  LOL
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

araminta

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 02:48:09 AM »
Judie - if you were doing well after the underwater therapy, please do not give up after a few stupid remarks.   A therapist should be encouraging you, not bringing you down.   Unfortunately not all health professionals are very competent or even very pleasant, as I have discovered in my own dealings with them.

I am the same age as you, and in spite of the Sjogrens problems I don't feel I am ancient and beyond all hope!

I hope to see you posting that you have got yourself back into that darned pool ...
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Judie P

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
Araminta, I called the owner of the place and told her what happened.  She will make sure that every Monday I am in the pool.  Gosh do I hurt this week!
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

araminta

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 03:21:56 AM »
Very glad to hear this, Judie - I mean about the pool, not the pain. :)

I hope you get some real benefits from the hydrotherapy.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 04:37:16 AM »
No longer work. Went on disability Sept. 2015 d/t sjogrens and RA.
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

happylife

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 08:24:56 AM »
Friends

Just 18 votes, we can do better. Request more people to vote on this important topic.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 04:03:27 AM »
Not all of us fit snuggly into a category. For example, I was taken out of work in 2004 on disability, that progressed to full retirement in 2011. Since the initial really bad 4 years, I've been volunteering for various agencies and non-profits (including Sjogren's World), plus providing non-formal care for a few elderly acquaintances (shopping, providing transportation, sorting and regulating medications, etc) and two of these local volunteer positions have recently started providing a monthly "stipend", so I am, in effect, employed again.

The biggest difference is, I'm not confined to a schedule, for the most part (other than one hour a week when I teach a class, occasional meetings, and other peoples doctor's appointment over which I have no control. I am able to stop or change what I'm doing when I need to, rest or divert myself, and (probably most important) procrastinate when I want to LOL

I"m not sure where i'd fit in your poll.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

TrumanB

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 06:23:40 AM »
Still working full time and I hope it'll remain that way for as long as possible.

happylife

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 07:03:04 AM »
Not all of us fit snuggly into a category. For example, I was taken out of work in 2004 on disability, that progressed to full retirement in 2011. Since the initial really bad 4 years, I've been volunteering for various agencies and non-profits (including Sjogren's World), plus providing non-formal care for a few elderly acquaintances (shopping, providing transportation, sorting and regulating medications, etc) and two of these local volunteer positions have recently started providing a monthly "stipend", so I am, in effect, employed again.

The biggest difference is, I'm not confined to a schedule, for the most part (other than one hour a week when I teach a class, occasional meetings, and other peoples doctor's appointment over which I have no control. I am able to stop or change what I'm doing when I need to, rest or divert myself, and (probably most important) procrastinate when I want to LOL

I"m not sure where i'd fit in your poll.

Hi Linda

Thanks for your response. I request to mark this "Part time working due to partial disability" as i think this would be pretty close.

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 07:26:50 AM »
OK, that's what I checked, bearing in mind that I'm 67 and officially  retired.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld