Author Topic: Xiidra vs Restasis  (Read 460 times)

Judes

Xiidra vs Restasis
« on: September 14, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
Hi everyone. Well I saw the eye dr today and I got my punctual plugs. It's only been a couple hours so I still can't tell if they help yet, other than they do make the otc eye drops stay in your eyes longer. It wasn't too bad having them inserted, so far so good.

I also asked them to do the Schirmers test before I got the plugs in. I had a 0 in my left eye and a 2 in my right eye. I guess that's pretty dry :(

He prescribed me Xiidra. I was hoping for Restasis just from reading here, but he said this drop is really good for Sjogrens and there's a better chance that my insurance won't fight him on it. I haven't started it yet. I think I'm gonna wait a couple weeks just so I can see if the plugs alone make any difference.

My question to people who've tried these Xiidra drops, how did they work for you? Anyone have an opinion on how they compare to Restasis? Just curious as to others experience with it. I'm still getting over a bad allergic reaction and doc told me to stop all meds. That's another reason I kind of want to wait a bit before starting them . Thanks again.

Judes

Re: Xiidra vs Restasis
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »
I'm also wondering if you have 0 on Schirmers test is there still a chance that plugs or prescription drops can still even help you?

rnathans

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:47:47 PM »
According to my eye doctor xidra works more quickly than restasis. Xidra has worked wonders for me. In 6 months on it my eyes went from having 100's of dry patches and scratches to being almost normal. Even my doctor was amazed at the degree of improvement.

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »
I tried Restasis for 4 months with no help at all from it. Had temporary plugs that really helped me out, so I
went and had my lower tear ducts cauterized closed for good.

When Xiidra came out I tried it....about 2 years ago....works very well for me.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Judes

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 04:53:11 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me! You guys have given me some hope with this. I just hope I don't have to fight with my insurance company it is so expensive. I get first month free with a card from my doctor.

Sooki

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:56:58 AM »
I've had better experience with Xiidra than with Restasis.  They were both annoying in the stinging and blurriness after application.  I found that a brief cold pack helped with that. Even a warm compress helped! 

The copays for the two may be very different - check with your pharmacist or insurance company on that.  If you're low income and your insurance copay is astronomical (like my Medicare Part D plan), Xiidra (ShireCares) has a very generous program.
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

lorigacc

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 05:31:35 AM »
Xiidra has been a miracle eye drop for me...my eyes felt better the first 24 hours I started the drops. I have tried Restasis many times, had constant burning...just felt they never helped at all.
Secondary Sjogrens, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Vertebral Compression Fractures, Kyphosis, Hiatal hernia
   Plaquenil, Forteo injections, Restasis, Prinivil, Ecotrin, Calcium, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish Oil

Pete0211

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »
I've experienced significant improvement from a Shirmer's score of zero  in one eye (5 in the other) using Restasis.
Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

Judes

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 07:11:44 AM »
Thanks again for the feedback. It's been a week with the punctual plugs, and unfortunately I can't say they've been a huge help. They do help a tiny bit though and I will definitely take that. More so in my "Schirmers 2" eye and less so in my "Schirmers 0" eye. They do help the OTC drops stay in a bit longer so that is a plus.

I haven't started the Xiidra yet, though I have a box. My doc said to wait until I see the allergist again on Oct 15th, since my severe allergic reaction a couple weeks ago he wanted me off everything. So I hope to start the Xiidra soon after that. I really can not wait and your responses give me some hope with them :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:17:34 AM by Judes »

SjoGirl

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
Just me. I have been on Restasis for years and it has been helpful. My dryness was worsening earlier this year so my eye doc added Xidra, which made my eye burn horribly. I tried it off and on several times a could not tolerate it. I have not tried only Xidra.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

vrystaat

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
Restasis is becoming very expensive.
Anyone know of a less expensive pharmacy (including Canada & India)?
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

katie1111

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
I have been using Universal Drugs in Canada for Restasis and other medications.  The Restasis ships from India and I have had no problems with the drops and when I first ordered could not tell the difference from the ones in the States.

Katie1111

Judes

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 06:31:44 AM »
Well I put my first drop of Xiidra in my eyes this morning! I've been waiting to get through my allergist appointments and my lip biopsy to start. I am so hoping it helps my eyes. I'm curious if anyone thinks having punctual plugs might prevent the drops from penetrating into the eyes enough. I put the drops in and it seems lik shortly after they collect and run out the inner corners of my eyes. Also curious if using the same vial for evening drops might have an adverse effect. There is enough left in the vial after morning drops I just can't see throwing it out it's so expensive. I put the leftover in a baggy in the fridge.