Author Topic: Numbness in hands and legs  (Read 113 times)

happylife

Numbness in hands and legs
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:51:29 AM »
In the last two months i have had numb hands during sleep and waking up.

Since last 1 month, i get numb hands even during day time when i hold mobile phone for 5 minutes.

Is this peripheral neuropathy or something else?

Also does this sound related to sjogren?

Thanks

Navigator

Re: Numbness in hands and legs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »
Hi

Sounds like peripheral neuropathy BUT since this started recently you should tell you doctor and have a neurologist work you up.   It can be caused by other things as well.

Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

Livingwithsjs

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 02:22:02 PM »
I remember when I had my first few fits of numbness , It scared me really bad, but at that time I didn’t know I had sjogrens as I wasn’t diagnosed yet. Several diff doctor visits later lab test months months, and wham . Diagnosed! Was a sad disheartening day, but at least I had a cause. Now I’m used to the periodic numbness. It’s just weird at first cuz it’s unfamiliar to you. Hang in there ,not that it gets better but it becomes more normal. ????

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »
It is so easy to blame everything on neuropathy. Believe me, I know cause I have had the carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve compression and had my 3rd surgery in April and have one surgery to go. Not much fix anymore, but prevent from getting worse. says doc......from Sjogrens doc says.

So, I had all kinds of weird nerve like issues for a couple of years but not specific by any means. Finally was in neurologists office and mentioned that my fingers were burning and she ordered MRIs of cervical and lumber spine both with and without dye. Lo and behold I had a bad pinched disc with a lot of fancy names in C4C5. Doc and I are flabbergasted. She says surgery or I will becomes paralyzed or die. Shockeroo. My MRIs told the story. In the 3 weeks waiting for neurosurgeon referral and surgery I developed some of the weird nerve issues. However, I never had a headache or neck pain. Probably had this for about 3 years and I think it sort of slid around some.

So, be aware that when we have weird back, hand, leg nerve type pains we need to be assessed. The nerves in my spine were also affecting my car pal tunnel and medial nerve. I can track nerve pain in my arms now and know that some of it is from my spinal nerve compression that may never heal. Do not assume neuropathy cause that is what I did and I was so wrong. Good luck. Irish

PS I had a spinal fusion in my neck C4C5 last November and have cadaver disc and titanium plate with screws in my neck. It was not a bad surgery. Research any neurosurgeon referrals...my neurosurgeon had done 900 fusions.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:47:32 AM by irish »