Author Topic: Celebrex anyone?  (Read 749 times)

SjoGirl

Celebrex anyone?
« on: September 03, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »
I saw my rheumy last week for what was not the best of visits. He was running really late and still had other appointments so I mostly felt talked at, not listened to, and given new advice re: drugs for reasons I'm not quite certain of.

I left not being sure what he thinks is wrong with me and a bit dismissed because I don't fit in a box. He said I have the gene for Anklosying Spondilytis, but my xrays don't show evidence of it. I have in the past had tests and symptoms which seem to suggest RA an SjS seems to fit into the picture again given symptoms and past bloodwork.

He upped my Imuran and also added Celebrex. As I understand it I think he added the Celebrex to deal with pain, which I have throughout my body a fair amount. I had not been able to take Ibuprofen due to issues in the past and he thought Celebrex would have fewer side effects.

FYI this is unusual as he's typically much better (it's why I drive two hours to see him) at listening and explaining. I have send a follow up note as I am not one who appreciates feeling dismissed or not understanding why I am on a drug that I'm to take.

Are any of you taking or have you tried Celebrex, has it been helpful? I know he's hoping it will be a game changer. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:46:12 AM by SjoGirl »
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

ohiolady

Re: Celebrex anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »
Celebrex is an anti-inflammatory medicine. I don?t think it is as hard on the stomach as ibuprofen or naproxen.

I may ask my doctor about this as Aleve is so hard on my stomach.

Anna

SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

Jenny

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 03:57:05 AM »
Yes, it is an anti inflammatory, but is much easier on your stomach. I have been on it for years. I?m still in a lot of pain so I thought it wasn?t working. Last month I forgot to refill my prescription for a couple of weeks and was having increased pain until I realized. So, I guess it does help, but it?s not a cure all miracle. Certainly worth a try.
63 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

SjoGirl

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »
Thanks. I am hopeful that it will work because the increased Imuran is helping with me joints, but other part of me now ache, like my muscles. It's always something!
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
Celebrex (for me) is a miracle "arthritis" drug.  I say it like that as arthritis is why is was originally prescribed.  I was about 55 or so.  About 10 years prior I had suffered an NSAID ulcer. It was healed via oral med ...and the gastro gave me a year before he did the next EGD.  After that I was placed on Prilosec (no Nexium or Omeprazole back then).  In addition I was told under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do I ever take an NSAID--ever again.  I had used a group of NSAIDs over a period of years but had NOT used them for at least 5 (maybe more) when the ulcer occurred.  And it hurt!!  FF to the 55 years age and the Celebrex RX, I told the dr. I couldn't take this as it was an NSAID.  He said to take as needed.  Of course, we all know it was SjS….but who knew then?  Anyway-it was a miracle.  I took it for years...at least 6 or 7.  By the time I was dxed SjS, and taken off the Celebrex, I was taking what about all of us were taking.  I do NOT have RA.  At the time, I was told it was osteoarthritis.  Currently (and for about 2 years) my rheumy insists I have psoriatic arthritis.  My internist gave me a "short term" RX for Celebrex as I was having all kinds of (diagnosable, MRIed) orthopedic conditions.  When the RX ran out...I begged for more.  Truth is, I have about 20 in my RX basket.....afraid to toss them.  The culmination of the RX coincided with a blood result which measured me virtually depleted in iron.  He messaged my gastro for an EGD ASAP.  In less than a week I was having it done---and voila, an ulcer was found.  I couldn't believe it.  It DID make a believer of me regarding NSAIDs---for ME.  I am not sorry I took the NSAIDs in my 40s, nor the Celebrex in my 50s nor early last year.  I do know I can't take it any longer tho.  I follow these discussions on NSAIDs due to my history.  I believe the benefits for MOST people using OTC NSAIDs to RX ones are fine.  You'll know in plenty of time if you they don't agree with you.  I don't know of anyone dying from NSAID overdose....or dosing period!

Proceed with caution...and don't forget to have your iron checked.  If you can't tell, I LOVE and believe Celebrex is a wonder drug.  Twenty years ago there were several released which were taken off the market.  It has stood the test of time...and there are MANY more on this forum who laud the drug than me who could not tolerate it physically!.. sad me.

Good luck,
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

SjoGirl

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 12:37:43 PM »
ccourt thanks this is VERY helpful. I am reluctant to try Celebrex because I have had and continue to have such a sensitive stomach. That said, I suffer from what my rheumy believes to be sero-negative RA and OA, double whammy which I definitely feel at times.

I increased azothiaprene this week, which has helped, but pain creeps back in so I will try Celebrex this weekend. Fingers crossed and I will keep an eye on how and I feel and symptoms which suggest iron depletion.