Author Topic: MMR vaccine - I'm terrified & desperate!! pls help!  (Read 207 times)

Livia

MMR vaccine - I'm terrified & desperate!! pls help!
« on: August 03, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
hi y'all

i got an issue w/ the mmr vaccine & i dont have a clue...i hope if any1 has any advice or info on this...i been vaccinated several times (baby, teenager, adult)...i still dont have immunity for measles & its driving me crazy cuz i cant get jobs!! its getting in the way of my life!! ...to make it worse this happened: in 2016 i had to take it again for a job. i still never got measles immunity but 6-8 months after i developed some pretty strange symptoms...neuropathy, joint pain, eye inflammation, neck & back pain, headaches....u know the routine...drs didnt do me justice....this really got me worried cuz a year b4 the vaccine i had some positives for sjogrens & lupus but i was never diagnosed...now im 28 & still not immunized...i need to take it again 4 a job im dying for!!!...but im terrified!!!....all my drs r telling me i cant go in life w/o immunity cuz its dangerous...they saying there aint no guarantee the vaccine caused the symptoms...but i dont know what to do.....!!

any1 with my or similar issues? what y'all did??!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:38:10 PM by Livia »

rnathans

Re: MMR vaccine - I'm terrified & desperate!! pls help!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »
I doubt that the vaccine caused your symptoms in 2016. More likely the result of sjogrens/lupus. The real question is why you do not have immunity after vaccinations. Seems like you need to be evaluated by an immunologist. I know very little about immunology but there are others on this board who do and I am sure they will respond. In the meantime Breathe and do not panic.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:48:56 PM »
Do not panic. I, too, think that it is premature to blame the vaccine on the symptoms as you had issues previously. I am very disappointed that your doctors haven't referred you to an immunologist in order to ascertain why you aren't becoming immunized and also ascertain if you ever will become immunized. Also, it may be that you will never get the measles when exposed.

Now, I am 75 years old and previously an registered nurse. The truth is that years ago almost everyone got measles when they were exposed....but some did not. Also, measles is not a death sentence. If you get the measles you make sure you get medical assessment and any meds needed to keep you comfortable. Actually, there is a lot of shows on TV about e coli lately. You and everyone else is more apt to get e coli then the measles to my way of thinking. We all eat out all the time and heaven knows what we eat or buy in the grocery store is going to cause us to be ill.

I advise you to get answers. This may cause a doctor to write a note stating that you don't need anymore vaccinations. Worse comes to worse you may have to have a doctor help you navigate this issue. Good luck. Irish

Livia

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
Do not panic. I, too, think that it is premature to blame the vaccine on the symptoms as you had issues previously. I am very disappointed that your doctors haven't referred you to an immunologist in order to ascertain why you aren't becoming immunized and also ascertain if you ever will become immunized. Also, it may be that you will never get the measles when exposed.

Now, I am 75 years old and previously an registered nurse. The truth is that years ago almost everyone got measles when they were exposed....but some did not. Also, measles is not a death sentence. If you get the measles you make sure you get medical assessment and any meds needed to keep you comfortable. Actually, there is a lot of shows on TV about e coli lately. You and everyone else is more apt to get e coli then the measles to my way of thinking. We all eat out all the time and heaven knows what we eat or buy in the grocery store is going to cause us to be ill.

I advise you to get answers. This may cause a doctor to write a note stating that you don't need anymore vaccinations. Worse comes to worse you may have to have a doctor help you navigate this issue. Good luck. Irish

hi thnx 4 ur reply. i appreciate it....how can i say it?...im just really scared about taking another vaccine & getting a load of symptoms...i been reading online and all about some vaccines can "trigger" autoimmune disaese to flare...it got me thinking...i also seen a immunologist too but they couldn't help me for this specific issue. they only deal with allergy stuff...u know i got dr letters & all and no hiring manager ever accepted it...

and my drs only worry about measles cuz im young & female & supposedly it can affect the reproductive system...i dont know if this correct but they telling based on patient experience

snoweye

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 10:03:44 PM »

Hi Livia,

An immunologist should be able to help find out why the vaccine is not working for you.

They can do many advanced blood tests to check on the strength and status of the immune system.

I find it very strange that the immunologist you saw said they only deal with allergies. What country are you in?

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 12:07:03 AM »
The other poster is right. Wm immunologist treats people with autoimmune, immune and allergic conditions. They are well qualified to do lots of testing regarding immunizations and all the questions one would ask. With that being said, it may be that immunologist chose to just practice with patients with allergies. There are things a person can do if exposed to measles.

Measles can affect the reproductive organs but it is not something that happens all the time. Remember that mumps can affect the testicles in men and doesn't happen all the time. I am concerned that you are suffering so emotionally from this situation and wonder if you are getting poor information about the whole situation.

I would wonder if the job you are interested in has restrictions about immunizations regarding all the other communical diseases. If you are having autoimmune symptoms already you would be wise to maybe find some other line of employment. People with autoimmune diseases often have immune system problems and are well advised to work in industries that don't subject them to lots of illness.

You would do well to find a new immunologist and have this whole situation reassessed. Good luck to you. Irish

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 02:14:38 PM »
How do you know if an immunization worked or not?  Did you have the MMR series and then have measles, mumps , and rubella?  I don't understand.

I can tell you a million years ago I had mumps as a toddler.  And then...at 23, while pregnant, I had mumps ---again.  I was told what you mentioned:  mumps going "down" but....I was not a male...yet I was pregnant--first trimester.  My doctor advised I terminate the pregnancy.  The truth is, I don't remember the word he used.  It was LONG before R v. Wade, and words like abortion, etc. were not used nor discussed.  Anyway, I told him I wanted the baby.   My second.  He put me to bed...flat on my back until I reached month 4.  She just turned 53. 

What Irish said about "treating people w' autoimmune, etc, allergic..." makes the most sense of this thread.  The MMR wasn't even around when my children were little.  My point is, at the age these immunizations are given, NO ONE KNOWS what or if these babies have then or in their futures.  If you are new to this forum, you may not realize many members bellieve they were born or have had the problems associated with the various autoimmunde diseases discussed here:  SjS, Lupus, etc.  I can't imagine each and every parent of an infant consulting with an immunologist prior to a vaccine.  It's complicated. 
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 10:42:27 PM »
There is blood work that can be done to test if we have responded to our vaccinations. When I first saw my immunologist he did this blood work to see if I was protected against DPT and pneumonia and I was. When we get vaccinations we get a small amount and our body reacts by producing antibodies. These antibodies then work to protect us when we are exposed to the actual virus, etc.

As for getting the mumps 2xs.....it happens. My middle son had the mumps virus which should have protected him much like a case of mumps would. He got the mumps when he was 8 years old and he had them just terrible. Then some months later he complained about s "rash" on his stomach. I didn't see it for a day or two and finally looked at it and he had shingles at 8 years old. Off to the doctor. This was in the mid 70's ns the doc had blood work done to see if he was immune suppressed and he wasn't.

He is checked occasionally by his internist for autoimmune and so far all negative. He does tell me that he feels he has Sjogrens just by symptoms. He probably does the other two boys are both autoimmune people.One of the bad things we pass on to our kids.

Also, my sister had the mumps and strept throat long ago. She was so sick and had severe stomach pains. The doctor, who made house calls that is how far back this goes, said that she was having ovaries affected by the mumps. She went on to have children Just some info. Irish
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:51:43 PM by irish »

Deborah

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
Interesting Post, I too had no response to a vaccine, in my case it was the Polio vaccine given in the late 1950's or early 1960's. If you remember, this vaccine caused a scab to appear and when it healed and fell off it left a scar on your upper arm. I had the vaccine and experienced no reaction, the school system would not allow me to attend school since I had no scar. I was given the vaccine a second time and a very small scab (about the size of the head of a straight pin) developed. The school confirmed that the small scab did appear and I was allowed to return but I never developed a scar. I developed severe dryness of the mouth, eyes and skin 30 years later. Was eventually diagnosed with SICCA a few years ago.
Female 65, Diagnosed Sicca Syndrome 2011

Restasis, Celexa, Flaxseed, D3, Calcium

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
I remember thee polio vaccine being given by mouth. The small pox vaccine was given with a metal device that pricked the skin in many places and formed a bad scab. When it fell of there was a scar.

Does anyone remember the polio vaccine. I remember getting it but no scar. My kids got it and they for sure got oral vaccine. Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »
Dr. Salk's original polio vaccine was an injection in the deltoid muscle, like a flu shot, and became available in 1955, when many of those my age still had friends who contracted polio. The weakened virus oral vaccine developed by Dr. Sabin became available in 1961. Both provide equal conversion and coverage. (Conversion is the term used to measure antibody production following vaccination which is measured by a titer level)

As Irish mentioned, it was the smallpox vaccine that was a circle of multiple injections, just under the skin, which caused a blister, then scabbed and scarred. Anyone else remembers the clear plastic shield we had to have taped over the active lesion until it scabbed to prevent contact and spreading?

The usual cause of failure to convert is immune deficiency, and a hematologist, rheumatologist or immunologist can do the appropriate blood test to diagnose that and advise you about further vaccination attempts.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

jazzlover

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
Interesting Post, I too had no response to a vaccine, in my case it was the Polio vaccine given in the late 1950's or early 1960's. If you remember, this vaccine caused a scab to appear and when it healed and fell off it left a scar on your upper arm. I had the vaccine and experienced no reaction, the school system would not allow me to attend school since I had no scar. I was given the vaccine a second time and a very small scab (about the size of the head of a straight pin) developed. The school confirmed that the small scab did appear and I was allowed to return but I never developed a scar. I developed severe dryness of the mouth, eyes and skin 30 years later. Was eventually diagnosed with SICCA a few years ago.

The small pox vaccine caused the scab and scar, not polio.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Deborah

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 06:56:32 AM »
Yikes I'm losing it   :), everyone but me is correct, the Smallpox vaccine was on the arm and left a scar, the Polio was taken by mouth. I did have to take the Smallpox twice and still ended up with no scar. Sorry for the mistake.
Female 65, Diagnosed Sicca Syndrome 2011

Restasis, Celexa, Flaxseed, D3, Calcium