Author Topic: Mouth ulcers treatment  (Read 284 times)

happylife

Mouth ulcers treatment
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:12:54 AM »
Hi

I had one mouth ulcer in the throat one month back. Now i had another ulcer in my left inner cheek.

My mouth is ok during the day but dry at night.

I use alcohol free mouth wash only at night.

Please suggest what medicines to take to prevent further mouth ulcers.

Thanks

Skylar

Re: Mouth ulcers treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 10:02:52 AM »
I'm sorry you are suffering from ulcers in your mouth - ouch. (((HUGS)))

Have you tried the Magic Mouthwash? I used to have it compounded by the pharmacist. Here's some info about it.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chemotherapy/expert-answers/magic-mouthwash/faq-20058071

araminta

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »
I think these can be linked to the Sjogrens, as when my symptoms started I had continual ulcers for months and months.

Bonjela is quite good for numbing the pain.   I'm not sure there's any way of preventing them, apart from avoiding stress.
Dry eyes (MGD),dry nose, dry mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin, mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative and no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes.

Navigator

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
I do not know of anything to stop mouth ulcers from happening.  You should ask your Rheumatologist .  There is a preparation of a steroid and dental paste that can shorten the duration of the ulcer.  I do not have the drug with me so I am reluctant to guess its name but it does exist.

Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

snoweye

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 08:29:55 PM »
as when my symptoms started I had continual ulcers

Same here, and again during the first flare although not as bad.

Are you free from ulcers most of the time now?

snoweye

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 08:34:01 PM »
Happylife, you could try:

• rinsing with salt water (very salty, should sting a little)
  • oil pulling with coconut oil
  • chewing mastic gum

Doing this on a regular basis will improve oral hygiene and might help to prevent ulcers.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 02:06:59 AM »
I always thought the miracle mouth wash was great. I use to use it all the time, but I can't get it now due to my insurance not covering it.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Skylar

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 06:27:54 AM »
I always thought the miracle mouth wash was great. I use to use it all the time, but I can't get it now due to my insurance not covering it.

susanep
That's terrible -and sad that they won't cover it.

I know that where I had mine compounded, they used bismuth subsalicylate (Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol) as the base and added medication into that. The base is soothing and coats the mouth temporarily. If my insurance refused to cover it I would see if I could get the liquid medication in the right amount that I could add to a bottle of bismuth subsalicylate to make it myself as a work around the insurance rules. I presume you would need your Dr. and pharmacist to help assure you did it correctly.

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 05:02:54 AM »
My rheumatologist has me taking 800 mg folic acid daily to prevent mouth ulcers. It does help keeping them at bay.
MCTD, sjogren's,sero negative ra,achalasia,Issac's syndrome,MCI, nystagmus, acephalgic migraines,raynauds, plaquenil, requip, B2, spiriva, albuterol, topiramate,synthroid,dilantin cevimeline,orencia,arava,prednisone,folic acid

ohiolady

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 06:37:53 AM »
Rinsing with salt water 5 times a day helps a lot.  The thing that helped me the most was beginning Evoxac three times a day and getting my own saliva in my mouth. One of the mouth ulcers that I had in the beginning was so large that my dentist put me on antibiotics  for two weeks. When he referred me to the oral surgeon he said that he would?ve put me on steroids.

Hope you feel better soon.
SJS  Hashimoto's   Mild Raynauds  GERD  Gastroparesis
Restasis, Evoxac, Dexilant,  Domperidone, Zofran and Synthroid. Fish Oil, Vit D and B12  R lipoic acid,  Acetyl L Cartnine, Vitamin B1, and The Perfect Food Green and Fruit supplement

Kidney Cancer Survivor   
Female   Age: 62

markt

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 05:28:17 AM »
No one suggested it yet, but I'll put this out there... 1/3 diluted Hydrogen Peroxide.

It breaks up thrush and treats oral infection/sores.  Apple Cider Vinegar in solution has the same effect.

It was recommended to me by a Hematologist who had these problems while being treated himself with Rituximab for Lymphoma.

- Mark