Author Topic: Sicca and your cycle  (Read 254 times)

Sharon

Sicca and your cycle
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »
Have any other women here noticed their sicca symptoms improve
at certain times during their monthly cycle?  :o

I have consistently noticed that I actually have tears in the days preceding menstruation
which is when I understand there is a hormonal peak.
(I usually have none)

I have tried recreating this moisture increase throughout the entire month
by trying testosterone and progesterone creams, but to no avail.  :-\

Has anybody else experinced this?
Anybody have any ideas on the topic?
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

Sharon

Re: Sicca and your cycle
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
Addition:
Shirmer is ZERO at any other time of the month.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:37:22 PM by Sharon »
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 

veleha

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
I have noticed just recently that sicca symptoms are worse at the end and beginning of the cycle. For me, the improvement in the mouth is in the middle cycle, when estrogen is high. One theory about female reproductive hormones and Sjs is that estrogen has function in pathogenesis, because many get the disease during menopause or right after that. Some people have experienced improvement with HR therapy, some others worsening of the symptoms. Also DHEA has been successful decreasing the symptoms in some cases.

I encountered to one study where estrogen was said to improve the mouth - if I remember correctly -  and progestrone or testosterone the eyes - that could explain that your eyes are better when estrogen is at it's lowest (just before the period starts). It can also be that the balance between the different hormones does the effect. There are some studies about the subject, but my experience is that my cycle has started to have effect just recently. I didn't notice it until this spring when I turned 40 so it may have something to do with lower estrogen levels in general. If the overall levels are high, the possible change is not so noticeable.

Sharon

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »
It's very confusing veleha. I too have read studies that lead me to believe there is a very delicate balancing act making the difference.
Unfortunately, hormonal manipulation didn't work for me in the area of dryness
and no endocrinologist is interested in helping me explore any possible options.
My estrogen has always been on the high end.
Additionally, I've had allergic reactions to all DHEA supplements I've tried.
If you find something that works for you, let me know!