Author Topic: corneal abrasions and erosion  (Read 482 times)

wendyoh

corneal abrasions and erosion
« on: July 03, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
Hi--I have recurrent corneal erosion ---and sometimes I get acute abrasions as a result. The last 5-6 years I started using eyedrops and eye gel at night and the last few years I think haven't had much problem with acute abrasion. My left eye has had chronic mild abrasions if I am not careful and my vision is blurrier in that one usually. I once had a really bad acute abrasion in right eye like 14 years ago and it was treated agressively with a patch and home rest in dark with special drops and it healed up much better and never tore compared to left eye they didnt treat as comprehensively because the abrasions were never so dramatic---but it is interesting I had a better outcome on eye with worst abrasion. But that is just an aside----

here is my question for you--my left eye started giving signs of being on verge of an abrasion this weekend---it may have slightly tore and maybe I caught it in time with bunch of gel and rested it more etc but it started hurting bad like it was torn two different times within a few days so I have stepped up the self care game. But what I am wondering is why---? I am wondering if my photophobia which has been worse lately since I had another concussion a month ago is tied into getting abrasions possibly---could the sun hurt my eyes literally--like when I am driving the car? (I avoid sun and heat like some lupus folks do--have to--but driving is tricky). or could the concussion and the pain flares up in my head and neck as a result have caused auto-immune stress and trigger eye to be more vulnerable to an abrasion?

any thoughts or experiences to share?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:01:39 PM by wendyoh »
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

Polly

Re: corneal abrasion and erosions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
Hi wendyoh,

You have my sympathy, I've had eye problems and I know how much it hurts! I don't know what's going on with your eye but I know that sometimes we touch/rub our eyes without being aware of it. And sometimes we get little dried stuff on the eyelids that gets into the eye and then a blink can cause a scratch. Sometime ago I woke up in the morning with a terrible scratch (I literally woke up screaming!). Since then I sleep with a sleep mask. One night I forgot it and the next morning I had another scratch. So now I use my sleep mask every night and even if I'm going to take a nap. I like the Slip brand silk masks. The only downside is that after a year, I had straight eyelashes!

Good luck!

wendyoh

Re: corneal abrasion and erosions
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:01:16 PM »
thanks Polly! someone else suggested a mask as well....will look into that.....think i can deal with smashed lashes ;)
sjogrens, cervical stenosis, bulging cervical discs 4 level, DDS, DJD, emerging vertigo, cfs, fms, gerd, plantar fascitis, corneal erosion, some other stuff :)
not trained in medical field so just share my experience and opinions as a consumer and lay researcher trying to get more well-ness

araminta

Re: corneal abrasions and erosion
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 05:38:27 AM »
I have also had a corneal abrasion - don't know if it's still there, but one eye is always slightly more sore than the other.

One little tip I read somewhere is that when you wake up in the morning, try not to just open your eyes in the usual way, but open them very gently with your fingers, sliding the eyelids up over the eyeballs, if that makes sense.   I think that way you are less likely to cause a damaging tug at the surface of the eyeballs.
Dry eyes (MGD), nose, mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin (occasional eczeme), mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative,no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes, moisturisers.

Polly

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
araminta, that probably keeps you from getting that dried stuff into your eyes. That's what scratched mine, I'm sure of it.

Don't forget, put your eyedrops in the fridge. They'll feel so good when you put them in your hot, sore eyes.

Liz D.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »
Have you ever considered punctal plugs or cauterization?  That helped me tremendously!

Liz D.
54 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Vitamins, calcium, flaxseed oil

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 12:46:23 AM »
Just a little aside. I will have more dryness and soreness in my left eye at times. It is not terrible, but makes me keep at the drops. My DIL(optometrist) and I discussed this issue years ago and it occurred to us that it was probably caused by my myasthenia gravis. I will get droopiness in my eyelids and also just general weakness at time in my facial muscles from the gravis. This probably causes me to sleep with my left eye just slightly open. Just enough to let the air dry my eye in that area. Maybe a full time night patch would help. Good luck. Irish

wendyoh

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 03:58:35 AM »
thanks everyone for sharing and suggestions. Irish I am curious about the myathenia gravis. sometimes I wonder if I have a siight case or something similar but i don't think I showed antibodies for it when tested a few years ago. but an ENT eval I had 10 years or so ago said I had dysphagia maybe from some motor deficit. I also have developed droopy eyelids more so on left side where I have the low level more chronic recurrent mild abrasions. But some have also thought I might have a form of ehlers danlos, some sort of hypermobility that makes me prone to sprain and pain with extremities neck etc
At any rate, my question for you is---with your myasthenia gravis---how would you handle it if you got a muscle spasm?  I have noticed that things that relax my muscles can also put me at risk for further over relaxation of muscles even in small doses or even with a microcurrent ( a fancy form of tens) machine. its  a dilemma because with neck issues can get spasms I would like to relax.

markt

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 04:15:01 AM »
Try sleeping with soft contacts or bandage lenses... these provide a moisture barrier for your eye and protect them from the mechanical motion of blinking...  sometimes that motion is all it takes to literally "wipe" away new growth epithelial tissue on your eye from where it is trying to heal.

I say this, because it have used them myself as needed and it helps.  I just take them out for days at a time and use ointment as well to allow fresh oxygen to reach the tissue (also important). 

As a warning... not keeping them properly moisturized can allow them to actually take moisture away from your corneal tissue and exacerbate your problem.  But trust me, your eyes will "tell" you when you need more moisture in the form of drops.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:44:14 AM by markt »

Skylar

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 07:08:10 PM »
wendyoh, I feel so bad for you. I'm in fear of developing corneal abrasions and erosions. I use lubricating drops multiple times through the day and at least three times during the night to keep my eyes lubricated. This is in addition to Restasis. I keep stashes of vials in my purse, my car, suitcase, the kitchen, family room - all over the place so I'm never without drops.

If I feel the air is particularly dry, I sleep with a damp washcloth over my eyes. I have figured out how to sleep and turn from side to side while keeping the wash cloth on my face and not on my pillow. Washcloths sold for babies are the best - they are smaller and softer.

Drempeltje

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 10:56:40 AM »
I hear you! I am having same problem in early morning when waking up every morning. It hurts terrible and takes days to heal while every morning being torn again.

I make sudden movements with my eyes when waking up. It happens by itself when I am waking up. I can not controle it.

I put something in the eyes whenever I wake up during the night, tried all kinds of gels, drops, coconut oil, castor oil, ghee mixed in, collagen water, aloe vera, I have tried cucumber slices on the eyes, nothing really helps. Anyone has anything that really helps the scratching in the eyes? If it would be natural I am even happier. I am in Europe so American brands is not any option....

Polly

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:10 AM »
Drempeltje, try a sleep mask - get a flat one made of silk, not the new contoured ones for eyelash extensions. The flat silk mask will be slightly padded and tight enough to keep your eyes closed (and flatten your eyelashes). I woke with terrible pain from scratches until I started wearing a mask. I started with the cotton ones that Victoria's Secret included with pajamas and soon graduated to the silk ones because they're so much more comfortable. I'm sure you can find one in Europe, it's considered a luxury beauty item and they're usually ahead of us (the US) in that area.
Good luck!

Drempeltje

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 01:15:51 PM »
Thank you Polly for you response. I actually have a pure natural satin silk sleeping mask. Problem is that I can not have anything on my eyes as the eye bolls are so dry that any even small weight or pressure on the eye lids really hurts on the eye bolls. I am quite desperate!

Polly

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 10:03:37 AM »
Drempeltje, I feel so much sympathy for you! Eye pain is absolutely the worst, I've lost an eye and the process (4y) was incredibly painful.

One more suggestion - a very cold compress on your eyes, gently. And ice, ice cream, or popsicle in your mouth, hold it on the roof of your mouth so the cold reaches your eyes. Popsicles got me through a number of eye surgeries!

If you do find some lubricating eye drops, get preservative free and keep them in the fridge.

wendyoh

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »
thanks again everyone for the heartfelt sharing......this forum is such a great resource xo