Author Topic: Any advice on eye make up appreciated.  (Read 366 times)

Honeybee

Any advice on eye make up appreciated.
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
Hello
Just have arrived back from hospital for yet another bladder op for IC.
So taking advantage of the pain relief and thought I may post.
I have not used eye makeup for over 11 years as it just is no longer worth the pain, but, and I know that this is something I have to do as I have an ETSY shop where I sell my felted pixie coats and I am the model in them. I am doing good but I feel my appearance is really not quite that appealing with my ultra bags and dark circles, at 53 it really is silk purse out of sows ear.........
So I am UK based but wondered if you kind peeps could suggest a nice eyeliner that will not send me into big bad flares and a concealer would be great too. I am a fairly natural earthy looking lass and I just need to bring out what was after all my nicest feature.
Really would be very greatful.
Honeybee x

Navigator

Re: Any advice on eye make up appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:44:43 AM »
I do not use eye makeup except in a must do situation ..like my daughters getting married, mainly because I use eye drops and do not want to irritate my eyes.  I am a wash and wear kind of person and happily so.

But obviously if you feel it is necessary you can look for hypoallergenic products and give them a try or.....enlist a friend to be your ?muse?/model.  Someone might find it fun.   At least then there is no chance of your health being affected.

Good luck.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

Sharon

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »
I find Clinique products to be the most gentle as they are
supposedly hypoallergenic and fragrance-free.
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

quietdynamics

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »
Was recently in CVS and there was buy-one-get-one free sale by cosmetic MUA. I picked up the gel eyeliner and a massacre. They can more often than not cause me to tear, burn or they smudge off.  So far so good with MUA and daughter reports the same. She go the free ones.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

Deb 27

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 05:03:38 AM »
I try to use all natural make up brands that don't have a lot of chemicals or talc. Lorac is good but expensive. I have also used some mineral based make ups. Clinique is also pretty good since it's hypoallergenic. It won't cause my eyes to sting. I think Almay is a drug store brand that is hypoallergenic and that might work for you. I have used them in the past.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, multi vitamin.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 08:38:25 AM »
Hi Honeybee,
      Would LOVE to see your coats.  Sound wonderful.  As to eye make up: if you are modeling, you are still young.  At 76, I gave up eyeliner (and that was your original question) before I was dxed.  I must say I wasn't dxed until 71.  Easily by 65, 66, I gave up completely.  I had thought I had an eyelash, or grain of sand, well...some foreign object in one or more eyes for at least 20 years.  I would ask people to look in my eye and tell me where the eyelash was.  I'd been told by an eye doctor (in my 40s) my eyes were very dry.  He had advised an eye drop which came in individual vials...emphasis on no preservatives.   :)  I used them all day most days.  (for 30 years).   
      When I learned what SjS was and what was wrong with my eyes (which by that time had atrophied lacrimal glands) I was gobsmacked.  I will wear a compressed eye shadow perhaps once a month.  I can tolerate that after dusting my brush on a tissue, then applying.  But the last time I tried eyeliner, I couldn't control on the lower part of the eye.  The upper eye was a place (I learned) was basically a distributor of flecks.  No matter what the consistency of the eyeliner.  Now...this is ME...that was MY age, and that was MY skin.  I tht about having the permanent eyeliner done.  It frightened me that one speck in the wrong place would keep me from blinking till it wore off! At your age, and stage, the permanent application (which fades of course) would be my choice.  Remember, you still have eye coverings, AND tears.  I didn't have either by that time. 

The thing is:  you cannot make your eyes worse with the make up.  You can make yourself uncomfortable...but your application will not cause progression.  Irritation can make you question your decision, but not advance deterioration.  So the suggestions of those above who have found products which are "eye friendly" are great jumping off spots.  One more suggestion if you have a dermatologist is to ask him/her.  Likely the derm doesn't know anything about SjS, but can give you actual skin type answers. 

Good luck..on your profession and your modeling!  :)
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Honeybee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:41:55 PM »
Oh Thankyou Ccc for your really comprehensive answer.
To be honest I have been looking at making my own make up with organics but I too have never really been that comfy with any make up on, even 30 years ago in my 20's. That was a sign of what was to come, symptoms for so long and finally diagnoses this year at 53. In some ways my skin is good because I have never been able to wear that much stuff on my face but my almond eyes did used to look good with a little eyeliner.
I am sorry about your atrophied glands, I know that can be an eventuality and mine are certainly much worse than they were......
I brought this new photo studio to really show my product so am going to have to take quick pictures due to the bright light.
Thankyou anyway
Honeybee xx

SjoGirl

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »
I have not tried them, but Burt's Bees just came out with a line of cosmetics. You might also look  into those which say they are noncomedogenic and/or dermatologist approved.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Polly

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »
Honeybee, take a look at beautypie.com - it's a different sort of makeup/skincare line and I think it's based in the UK. I can tell you that their eyeliner is fabulous, especially if you want to tightline. I haven't tried their concealers, I have heard that the NYX brand has a really good concealer, that's a drugstore brand so you might find it in a local shop or on Amazon.

I'd love to look at your Etsy shop, what's the name? Good luck with it, I love Etsy!