Author Topic: Yeast Issues  (Read 258 times)

lizk

Yeast Issues
« on: May 15, 2018, 03:38:07 AM »
I finished up a course of Doxy for Lyme disease and since I've been struggling with external vaginal itching since. I had some extra Diflucan and took about 3, but it didn't kick the external itch. The itch doesn't bother me during the day, just at night. It's so uncomfortable.  I've lost so much sleep the past 2 weeks that I'm dragging at work and feeling super depressed that this is happening again.

I've long struggled with intense yeast infections. I had one that persisted for about a year (around 2009-2010) and it lead me to getting diagnosed with Sjogren's back in 2010. (My gyno suspected something was wrong with my immune system, ordered a CBC and my WBC was so low. A hematologist tested me for SJ on a whim and I got a Dx very quickly!) It was absolutely horrendous. My sympathetic gyno gave me topical Lidocaine to help me out while we tried to figure out my yeast issues.  But, it turns out it was a lot of dryness stuff, too.  After I was diagnosed, my rheumatologist also introduced me to Replens, which ended up helping me out a lot, too. I think being super dry from birth control pills exacerbated the issue. Now I stay away from hormonal birth control!

I moved late last year and I'm still finding new docs in my area. I'm seeing a new rheumatologist on Friday and I'm hoping he'll be sympathetic. I also made an appt with a PCP in case my new rheumy thinks a yeast infection is out of scope. Until then, does anyone have any suggestions for helping with external itch? It's more my labia than anything else. Also, if anyone else has suggestions for Rx that has helped them in the past. Has anyone else struggled with yeast? It's seriously my worst nightmare.

I'm 36, SSA +, Raynaud's. 200 mg Plaguenil/day, 30 mg Evoxac 3x day, 5mg Amlodipine.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Yeast Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:05:28 PM »
Hi  :)

In the UK there's a creme in a tube called Canesten that is pretty helpful for external itch. If it persists ask your doctor or pharmacist.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »
I have dealth with this too, and still do. It will get better, and then if I am particularly dry or have to be on an antibiotic which I am now then it's horrible. I have no secret tip for it though. I have mostly used the over the counter creams, and toughed it out.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

lizk

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:31:00 AM »
Thanks, Scottie. I'm going to track that down.  :)

Thanks, Susanep. I'm sorry to hear that you've dealt with this, too. This disease can be so awful and I feel like docs don't take us seriously.

I appreciate both of your responses.

Liz

Lotus1

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
I use organic bicarb soda for my yeast issues which works well, cheap.
I'm b.s. consuming daily now.

Bicarb Soda has many uses, google it.

Hope you find relief soon!

Lotus1

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »
Me too!!   My oral (corners of mouth only at this time) requires treatment about once every couple of months.  Depending upon how bad I let it get.  In the beginning I WOULD let it go on too long.  Anyway, I use an Rx: Nystatin Ointment (Rx written by dentist). As to external vaginal, I use a product (and Rx) called Ketoconazale.  It's wonderful.  Since we are all on THIS site, I've often wondered if that external vaginal ( I just say crotch) is caused by spending too much time with my laptop on my lap generating heat and causing it in that area from reading entries here!  Jock itch by website!!

ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:36:33 AM »
I agree with the bicarb sodium. I have had a terribly painful ulcer on my lower gums. It's deep, and I was worried that I needed it looked at. Well, I read that one could use a tsp of bicarbonate soda in a half of cup of water, and swish it in  my mouth for about a minute, but not swallow it.
I did it last night, and can tell tonight I haven't hurt as much so it must have helped, so I am getting ready to do a second treatment with it.

It said that the baking soda has anti inflammatory properties, anti fungal, and restores a p-h balance to the mouth. I am hopeful.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi