Author Topic: I don't think others seem to understand profound fatigue  (Read 760 times)

rudytudy1

I don't think others seem to understand profound fatigue
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »
Just got home from a lunch at a neighbors house. there were three of us there and after about 90 minutes of lunch and chit chat I just hit the wall with fatigue.   ran out of spoons I guess....  anyway I told them it was time for me to head home.  When they asked why I said I was tired and was going to take a nap.    Well you would of thought I told them I was an alien!    : )   

The looked at me and said, "Nap?!"    They were both ladies in their early 60's but they started saying how they could NEVER nap during the day, blah, blah, blah.    I realized yet again that so many people have never experienced the SJS, lupus, fibro type of profound fatigue.

It's very isolating to know that when I leave the house my stamina is limited and when my energy is gone I can't even 'fake' it.  I really think that people don't understand but that they also don't want to hear about it.

Sorry to vent, but I didn't know who else to talk to about it.   My DH is wonderful listening to me but sometimes I don't want to burden him with this silliness.

thoughts??
Lupus, secondary Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia
cutaneous Lupus, Lumbar fusion surgery, osteoporosis, spinal stenosis   

Methotrexate
dx-2009

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
Re: I don't think others seem to understand profound fatigue
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:39:20 PM »
Rudy,
    So sad, but so true.  You were dxed in '09 and I was dxed in '13.  By  about 2010, I had to stop interacting with "most" of my (in some cases *lifetime*) friends.  I had a few who wanted to be with me, would go to eat at restaurants where I was able to eat, and close to my home, etc, etc.   If I ever joined an evening group for something, I would exit early most times.  I was still working part time so could usually say I had work to do.  I would hear those chides as you describe.  You probably began to experience this before your diagnoses too.  With Lupus, I mean with most people knowing Lupus, you would think........well..........that's just it: they don't.  What upset me the most is I knew they didn't care.  No one wants to "hear" about any condition, treatment, weakness, medicine---and I never talked about anything but to say I finally learned why I had suffered such strange (and consistent, and a plethora of) conditions---which as you know--stop you in your tracks. 
     I had to leave that location in late 2014---to be closer to my children.  So thankful I did.  When I go "home", I'm amazed at all the attention I get--from MOST of my friends.  Many call, and some make the trip from Houston to Dallas periodically.  One friend travels with me (by air) and will come to Dallas so we can fly together.  She's a REAL friend. 
     I guess that's what I could say:  among those people you have to have one or two who are not judgmental, etc-just stick with them.  Read more, or order books by audible.  I am a Netflix and Amazon Prime junkie.  I quit work after dx.  I was closing in on 72.  I didn't go early into that good night, but I surely did learn to go slowly into that good night.  Shoulda said afternoon to keep with the reference since I haven't died yet! 
     About 3 weeks ago I had some dental work and believe (I don't KNOW) the work caused a flare---or at least escalated it.  I hadn't taken LONG naps (four hours) since before dx and not working.  When starting the 3rd full week,  I started (on my own) a 4mg Medrol pack.  After the first , the dose, next a.m., I felt like I was coming off a bad trip.  I was relieved to know it was a flare.  You won't believe this, but this was my first WELL DEFINED and easily recognized to be "FLARE".  I let myself flare for weeks before giving in.  Because of two of my inflammatory conditions, I keep emergency prednisone/corticosteroid bursts.  The night I decided to start one, I counted back and hadn't had a pack since June of 2016.  I decided I had suffered long enough.  It WOULD have been nice to have someone to commiserate with, but we lose those people, don't we?
     Tonight is open Sjogren's World Forum night on chat.  The girls are fun...they aren't your friends...but they make you feel connected to people.  I love my local SjS group too.  My friends in that group are younger...much younger....and we go out...we talk, text and enjoy one another.  They suffer the same problem you describe.  It's harder for a 50 year old to find "older, ailing" friends with whom to visit.  Anyway...sign in..follow instructions at top of the SjS entry page.

Have a good and rested evening.  btw:  when "we" take a 2 to 4 hour nap and then go to sleep for 7 to 8 hours...that isn't a "nap"....that is fatigue!!
Best to you,
Courtenay
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

vrystaat

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »
This is my second post on this subject, but I had some new thoughts.
I have had SS since 1992. My first symptoms were lower limb pain, and severe fatigue. The latter has caused me a lot of disability and sadness.
I still have it today. I was fired from four jobs because of my decreasing performance, and retired at 57 years. And you're dead right no-one understanding.
Initially the MD's were clueless and I went undiagnosed for over 10 years. A smart Medical student diagnosed me! After enduring all this, a kind psychiatrist prescribed me
Phentermine. This changed my life for years. But it had many side-effects. So I started Provigil in 2009, & this was a life saver. It has a few side effects e.g. feeling weird and
abdominal symptoms but it's OK. Adderall is much better, and is keeping me going. On top of this is the Sjogrens Fog, which was the real cause of me getting fired. Confusion, forgetfulness,
impaired thinking  ...... you know about this. What is very distressing about taking these drugs, are the restrictions on their use. It is an uphill struggle to get a supply (Thanks to our lovely Government).

Best of luck. I truly understand.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:51:36 AM by vrystaat »
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, Trigeminal Neuralgia,Gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog; Ocular problems - blepharitis, scleritiis, dry eye,severe eye pain. Possible Inclusion body Myositis.Currently Endstage

SjoGirl

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
Rudy so sorry you had this experience. Too few can understand and a very limited number of people have the patience to support a friend or family member whose illness will never be cured. I have fewer friends these days, but the ones that I do have are great.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 06:26:15 PM »
I started with autoimmune issues (1964 not diagnosed until 2003) and suffered from such fatigue for all those years. The good thing is the fatigue was not all the time but it was unpredictable and I learned early on that I had to take naps and plan my work. I bet all of you can relate to planning work and chores for the next day and aways knowing that most likely the plans would change due to fatigue. I have always had to adapt my work load from day to day and sometimes from hour to hour. No one will understand that except another person with autoimmune or some other chronic disease that causes this fatigue.

I have never been able to stop to shop or to eat after work due to my fatigue. By the time I made the drive home and filled gas tank and got milk I would almost fall into the house I was so done in. I always had to have food planned ahead or used my pressure cooker in order to get a meal on the table. It can be a heck of a way to live but I was always thankful for a warm home and a bed to sleep in. We can't make others understand our illness, but I can guarantee you this, most people will find themselves facing illness and heartache before their life is over.

Those of us with chronic disease learn early on that we need to adapt and keep on plugging along. I bet we are a lot more understanding of others from our experiences also. Fighting against our disease will just make us bitter but acceptance will help our lives run more smoothly. Tell people what you must and go on your way. If people make fun of you or give you a hard time they may not be as good a friend as you thought. Good luck. Irish

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 08:32:36 AM »
Oh, I do understand, and not much to add from what the others have said. Unless they have had what we do they just can't understand.

Hugs,
susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »
Hi rudy,

No 'civilian' can understand our fatigue, because our fatigue isn't the fatigue of normal tiredness.

Our fatigue is due to the attacks on our body by our Immune Disorder(s) and the inflammation that goes with it.

It is often described as 'profound fatigue', but even that doesn't really cover what it's like.

When I have the fatigue of an Immune Flare, I cannot move, I cannot sleep, I must sit in a quiet room, with my eyes half open.  I cannot read, I cannot watch television.

I also have total body pain, and because I have severe osteoarthritis every affects joint is throbbing.

Depression falls like a dark cloud, adding a sense that this is all my life will ever be: pain and profound fatigue.

And for me, I also have total body itching.

So I take:  Benadryl for the itching, prednisone (taper) to stop the flare, and I used to take antidepressants until I can no longer tolerate the side effects that developed.

NOW I don't get flare, or the fatigue, or the depression and pain, because I have a low dose of Medrol (methylprednisolone) 2mg every other day.

I take the Medrol to tolerate the reaction of my Immune System to the IVIG that keeps me infection free.

And the Medrol also does away with the flares, so I am doubly lucky.

2mg of Medrol every other day is a pretty safe level of steroid.  And at 76 I'm not so worried that I  might have long term damage from the Medrol.

Our lives are often a trade off, and we make choices every day to achieve some level of comfort.

No one will ever understand what we deal with.  People don't like chronic conditions, conditions they can't understand, people want you to get well NOW.

So we come here for what we need, and we get it.  We get so much stronger and we are not alone.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

Deb 27

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 05:37:02 AM »
Yep, others do not understand and it makes us feel isolated.  I just don't talk about it with others anymore. I am retiring a little early and everybody keeps saying you are too young to retire ( I am 63) and I am sick of it. I don't really care. When I want to talk bout my disease, I come here.  People should try to be more understanding and not say things like " I can't nap during the day". It's insensitive. But, it's OK to nap. It's what our body needs. I just don't think life is how much you can jam into an hour or a day. I think it is what  we enjoy as individuals. If it feels good to us, we should do it and not feel guilty. It's just the way it is.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, multi vitamin.

trejonina

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
I agree, nobody but us understands our fatigue, brain fog. You know what , I just don't care anymore.I retire early, don't socialice much. I've learned a little meditation, and it helps whem I lie down to take a nap. Don't explain anything.... I'ts a waste of energy.Discover your affinity for your spirituality, it helps not to feel alone, or isolated in our condition.

rudytudy1

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:57:10 PM »
such wise words from you all....thank you so much for the comments.
Lupus, secondary Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia
cutaneous Lupus, Lumbar fusion surgery, osteoporosis, spinal stenosis   

Methotrexate
dx-2009

lorigacc

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
We so understand. I agree with trejonina.  I'm done explaining, and work on finding peace in my life, for me it is thru feeling a part of nature and having faith.
Secondary Sjogrens, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Vertebral Compression Fractures, Kyphosis, Hiatal hernia
   Plaquenil, Forteo injections, Restasis, Prinivil, Ecotrin, Calcium, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish Oil

Nomad

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »
I was going to post a similar item.

These websites are helpful as others don't usually understand.

Some of my friends don't understand why I don't work. Why, if I'm so sick, Ican  look fine...even good  (I have a great hair stylist and enjoy make up). It's as if I can't fix myself up if I have health problems. I do not advertise when I feel like crud.  I stay inside, in bed and to myself. I'm sick and tired of cynnical, mean spirited, jealous people who don't have an ounce of empathy in their bodies.  I'm really feeling upset about this at this moment.  UGH!  >:(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:55:21 PM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

swf994

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »
Nope, no one gets it.

It's all too easy for them to think we're not motivated enough to do a little hard work (it does the trick for everyone else, don't you know) and then even expect sympathy for our laziness-induced fatigue.

We don't have anything that a little "push, push, push..." won't cure, do we.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY6ZCHw3oA8

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:06:46 AM by swf994 »

Bigleyj

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 08:45:15 AM »
I had a laugh reading this thread, I thought hold on did I write this? ☺ agree, agree, agree.

Yes the looks you get if you tell someone you had a nap of 2 to 4 hours!!

When I get home from work most days I NAP for about 2 hours, have dinner etc then back to bed by 9 pm and sleep for up to 10 hours..... thats if I manage to get ro sleep at night with aching body, itchiness, tingling etc etc... we all know the drill. Nearly 2 am and I haven't slept tonight yet, start work at 8 am.

Keep smiling,
Jo  ☺💤
Female, 44 Yrs, Victoria, Australia. 
Diagnosed SJS Nov 2014, diagnosed skin-only Lupus Dec 2014, overactive thyroid medicated since 2011.
 plaquenil, carbimazole, escitalopram (esipram), second generation oral saliwell stent, vitamin D.
Came off low dose Valium mid-2015 😀

Deb 27

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »
Do you take B vitamins? I found out my body doesn't properly process B vitamins and need to take the active form of folate and B 12. I've started taking a vitamin with the active forms and it is helping me a lot. It has also improved my depression/anxiety and insomnia!!! Also, I have to take nexium and can't absorb B 12 that well and that has caused a low b 12 level. Not too many docs will check for vitamin levels when patients complain of fatigue. It could be something completely different for you and your fatigue.
I 've said this before but I highly recommend Functional Medicine docs.  Don't mean to sound like a broken record but it's an area of medicine that has helped a lot of people with AI disease. I am seronegative.

It is hard though. I still don't always have the energy of friends who are older than me. It makes me feel so bad but it is what it is. It's a journey!!
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, multi vitamin.