Author Topic: MMP-9 protein accurate indicator of sjogren ?  (Read 368 times)

happylife

MMP-9 protein accurate indicator of sjogren ?
« on: April 12, 2018, 06:25:17 AM »
Hi

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rpsdetectors.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Kaufman-2013-The-Practical-Detection-of-MMP-9-Diagnoses-OSD-.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiGqcec6bTaAhUHSY8KHXzrCEoQFjAEegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1jWueh32gvALJ0-5el1opq

As per this article, mmp-9 protein is accurate sign of sjogren when find in eyes. This was apparently discovered in 1998. Any idea why this is not used as diagnosis test for sjogren.

Infact my eye doctor user the rps test kit (which looks for mmp-9 to confirm inflammation) to put me on restasis.

Per this article infact this test in itself an accurate test to comment sjogren......but rheumatologists do not seem to have agreed to this...... This beats me. Am i missing something here.

Thanks

markt

Re: MMP-9 protein accurate indicator of sjogren ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
Here in the States, my Ophthalmologist uses the Inflamma-Dry test to test for MMP-9 as you alluded to.  I think this is becoming a more and more accepted diagnostic tool as of late.  It's partly what cued them to request a Sjogrens Diagnostic test panel (blood work) when I first started to have a wayward immune response. 

My tests come back negative for the inflammatory protein as of late (maybe due to Rituximab or Restasis, or both)... a lot of folks like to wait for that to happen before trying to use tear duct plugs, which would otherwise trap the inflammation in whatever tear film there may be on the ocular surface causing more problems.

Sharon

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:16:41 PM »
Nobody has ever suggested this test to me. Very interesting.

I agree on the plugs markt and really don't understand why all eye doctors insist I try them with all my inflammation.
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »
It probably would be a good thing to help determine what is going on. The one issue is that so many people have dry eyes and many doctors don't quite pay attention to other symptoms in the body that could even suggest Sjogrens or autoimmune disease. Just working on computers all day can lead to lots of dry eyes.

I have to add that I was having all kinds of symptoms for 39 years before I was diagnosed by lip biopsy. Not one doctor considered autoimmune all that time in spite of me asking about it. They did blood work over the years and it was negative so it would get put on the back burner again. Finally in 2003 a new immunologist asked me (over the phone)n if I ever had swollen glands. I told her no but at the same time felt my glands and they were sore. This doc ordered antibiotics and lip biopsy. The positive results knocked several of my doctors for a loop. They were floored===but it explained a lot of my issues.

I had never had dry eyes until 3 months after the lip biopsy. They were not bad buy my daughter in law who is an optometrist put me on Restasis and it really worked to catch it early for me. My daughter in law has been a Sjogrens advocate ever since which I sure appreciate. Good luck to you. Irish

happylife

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »
Hi Irish

I agree many people have dry eyes. But the inflammadry kit which tests for mmp-9 protein, confirms if the patient has inflammatory dry eye..... Which is caused mostly in autoimmune conditions like sjogren, ra, lupus etc. So this test alone should raise the probability of sjogren.

Im actually wondering if anyone knows if 100 patients have inflammatory dry eye per this test, how many of these actually are sjogren patients....