Author Topic: Let's talk about the weather .....  (Read 2272 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Let's talk about the weather .....
« on: March 24, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
Hi - since this is a worldwide forum and we come from many different climates I thought it would be interesting to learn about the weather where our members live.  Here in the U.S.A, we can have a wide range of different weather within 100 miles of where we live - than alone from coast to coast.

In 2017 there were so many weather related emergencies here in the U.S. and around the world.  Fires, floods, mud slides, tornadoes, drought, torrential rain, hurricanes, earthquakes, record breaking temperatures both hot and cold, etc.  Throw in some puffy cloud days with sunshine and it's a wide variety of weather.

Since this is our third month of 2018, we've had quite an array of weather already.  Here in the U.S., the folks living on the East coast have been hammered with four severe storms back-to-back in a short amount of time. (even our friends in Canada got in on the action too)

Today, March 24th here in Central IL it is snowing.  We've had the sleet, ice, heavy snow today . . . ugh.  Hello, it's suppose to be Spring here, and snow is not part of Spring!!  Thankfully, when it comes this late in the winter season it won't hang around long as our temperatures will be in the 50's this coming week. 

So, what's the weather like where you live?  This will be a long-term thread so feel free to jump in at any point and talk about the weather.   8)

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Carebear

Re: Let's talk about the weather .....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »
Oh boy.  Talking about weather is such a Canadian thing to do! 

Yesterday the wind kicked up and we were expecting a full blown snowstorm.  Holding our collective breath we on the Canadian prairies watched and waited.  And waited.  And then one mere inch fell.  Phew.  And that melted before lunch time.

We have a lot of snow hanging around though, and it's hard to know when or if we should bother to wash our vehicles.  My new favourite thing to do is to deliberately drive my filthy car through the biggest piles of water.  What fun!  Nothing like spraying mucky water everywhere!

It's been a long winter here.  Snow, freezing rain, snow, sleet, snow.  And very cold and windy without a break since Halloween.  We are all so tired of the W word here.  We did see three geese flying overhead today however.  A very good sign that spring may be here very soon.
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
Hi  :)

Here is the UK it's been a long winter. My plants are confused. Nearly April and I still have snowdrops flowering. Mini daffodils looking good - no sign of the tall ones that should be around (well not in my yard) Aubretia, which should be flowering with the daffodils - isn't.

:)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Kristian

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:46:01 AM »
I am in Florida, so pretty heavenly on the weather front right ow with about 60 for a low at night and highs around 80-82.  We had a really weird spring with February setting record highs up in the 90's and then March getting actual freeze warnings at night up until about a week ago...
definitely ruined some spring break vacations with the cold.

Pretty sure it has been weird Spring weather everywhere this year.
Sjogren's, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Low Vitamin D, Sciatica down both legs permananently.
Take Enbrel, Synthroid, Oxycodone, Oxymorphone ER, Gabapentin, Raios (long acting prednisone), Vivlodex, Aquaoral, Exovac,  and endless eye drops :-)
Tumeric, Sea Buckthorn Oil and Vit D

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 04:04:40 PM »
As my 'name' suggests, I live in one of the Carolinas, North Carolina.

Usually by now we are in full fledged Spring.  And actually we are, BUT up until today it has been colder and damper and grayer than usual.

Natives and long time residents complain bitterly about this cold/damp/gray weather.  I am, however, a refugee from north of the snow line.  So for me, the fact that it didn't rise to 75, until TODAY, hasn't left me complaining.  We don't have 20 inches of snow!  And we almost never will.

We left the 'north' in 1994 (12 years in Georgia, 4 years in the high desert area of Texas, and now 8 years in NC), and I've never missed the north one bit.

I haven't worn a heavy coat ONCE this year, nor gloves, nor a scarf, boots or a hat.

Regards,  Elaine

Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

Carebear

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 10:19:54 PM »
I am beginning to thing that winter will never end here in Western Canada.  It's been snowing AGAIN and the temperature is plummeting to -20 Celsius this week, with "highs" around -9.  And even more snow.

Poor Easter bunny!  He's going to have a miserable time hoppy through the snow in that cold on Sunday.

I'd like to move to a warmer climate but the family lives here, and I'm rather have frozen cheeks than a broken heart.

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:48:50 AM »
Oh, Carebear!  I have photos of kids in heavy coats and boots, looking for Easter Eggs in the snow!

We come from families who 'moved away', routinely.  So our years in New England were actually far from extended family, who were in Iowa and Kansas, both above the snow line.  When we moved below the 'snow line' in 1994 we had one son entering Medical School, and the other already 8 years living in Paris.  So we didn't leave family, just long time friends who themselves were relocating for various reasons.

And our move to Texas, was to be near our younger son, to help with family while he was serving in the military and had to do a medical tour in Iraq.  So we know the importance of family, for sure.

Now, here in NC our younger son lives about 10 miles away, with his wife and four children.  So we have family near by, and no frozen cheeks.  We are so very lucky, in this case.

But I truly understand that frozen cheeks are far preferable to broken hearts.

As I write it is already above 60 degrees (15 Celsius) at 9 am!   And sunny.  No Easter Eggs in the snow, but now our grandchildren are too old for the Easter Bunny.

Regards,  Elaine   
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

Carebear

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »
Elaine, you are really fortunate to have lived in all sorts of climates.  I envy your warm winter and Spring.

It's cold but very bright and sunny outside right now.  So we have that going for us.  One thing about having such a short summer is that we truly appreciate it and make the best of it while it's here.  Or at least we try.

The egg hunt will be filled with lots of giggles and smiles.  That will warm my heart even if it won't warm the great outdoors!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 09:51:57 AM »
The snow storm we had on Saturday dumped 8-9" of snow on us.   :(  However, the good news is that it's all gone now!   ;D  That's the good thing about it snowing this late in winter (which is really spring, but somehow, Mother Nature wasn't informed!). 

My daylilies are pushing up through the ground, the birds are happily chirping, the trees have buds on them, the squirrels are trying to find their nuts they hid in the fall, the grass has greened up . . . spring is definitely in the air here in IL.

We're suppose to be in the 50's today and tomorrow, and then back into the 30's on Sunday.  Ugh!  Maybe that will be the last of the 30's for a while . . . I hope!
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Carebear

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 08:41:40 AM »
April 9th, and we are expecting a high temperature of 5 degrees Celsius.  This will be the first time we've been above freezing here in Alberta for well over a month.  Some snow is expected tomorrow.

Can someone please let Mother Nature know that we are soooo tired of winter up here?

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 08:23:10 AM »
Ah, the uncertainty of early spring weather!  Sunday night into Monday morning it snowed 2", by noon on Monday it was all gone!!   :D  THAT'S more like it - snow for a couple hours and then gone!

This past weekend we traveled out-of-state for my nieces wedding.  We drove through snow showers on and off both coming and going but thankfully, there was nothing on the roads.

Right now, the temperature is 37 degrees climbing to 47 degrees today - and Mr. Sunshine is out for the moment.   8)  By Thursday, the temperature is "suppose" to be around 70!!  We'll see if that actually happens.

Enjoy your day - whatever the weather is where you live.

Bucky

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »
I could really do with some sunshine. The snow has gone but it's rained and rained and if it's not raining it's grey and heavy.
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Madison

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
 :( I need to live in the moon? I also have systemic lupus autonomic neuropathy ( CAN NOT SWEAT) AND well good ole sjogrens. The cold bothers my skin for many reasons BUT the  dryness!! yi yi yikes!!!!. I get constant instant sinus infections and next week consult with an oral surgeon. I am losing three front bottom teeth. Although by the grace of God, I received a grant, I still have to use food money for my portion of payment. . I am NOT whining. I am grate for the smallest of things, but I am sad! I have spent a FORTUNE ON eye lubricant, nasal gel, mouth treatment, biotene gel, and as soon as I fill one cavity? Here is another. So where to live? Well! I have great doctors here, and wonderful friends. I love in the Northeast. N.H. I hope to add something to this website. So happy to be here!!!!!!

Kristina09

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 06:10:32 AM »
Good morning all.  It?s 9am here in south east Florida.  It?s 78 degrees and sunny. Here the weather is pretty much the same all year round. We had some very small tornadoes this week in my area, destroyed the canopy on my gazebo but no other damage. I would love to experience different seasons and weather. I have actually NEVER seen snow in my life. I would love to see a snowy winter holiday or leaves changing colors. But I can go to the beach all year and it?s about 0.2 miles from my house. I love hearing all your weather stories. I hope everyone has a great day!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »
I would love to experience different seasons and weather. I have actually NEVER seen snow in my life. I would love to see a snowy winter holiday or leaves changing colors

I've experienced snow all my life!  Where I live in IL, it doesn't snow as much as it did when I lived in the snow belt of N.E. Ohio, but I would be happy with no snow (I think).  ;)  I love the fall colors and wish it would last longer than it does.

I'm sorry to hear your canopy on your gazebo was destroyed in the weather, but thankful you had no other damage.  Tornadoes come through IL quite frequently - we've had two come through in recent years within 6 miles of my home!  Too close!  It's devastating to see the amount of damage that can occur from a tornado that totally destroys property in a matter of minutes. 

Today has been a chilly, wet, sleepy kind of day here.  We're expecting more rain overnight into Sunday with some snow added in for good measure!   ???  Enough of the snow already!!  Several states are getting dumped on again with snow this weekend - we're talking over a foot of snow! 

Those in snow country - I hope this latest wave of snow is short lived for you all.  Spring IS here . . . keep waiting for it, it will get here eventually . . . I think!

Bucky