Author Topic: high resolution manometry  (Read 741 times)

bluegardenia

high resolution manometry
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »
hi everybody, anybody had  this exam? i have it tomorrow morning and im quite worried, thanks
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: high resolution manometry
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:47:59 AM »
Hi  :)

I've had a manometry exam (don't know about high resolution). It was a tad uncomfortable but nothing I couldn't cope with.
It showed that my esophagus is not working optimally so they did a different operation on a hiatal hernia than they would normally have done. A 'Toupet' rather than a 'Nissen'. (looser wrap.)

The worst bit of the manometry exam was being asked to eat a cookie. I said without water - I couldn't as I dont have enough saliva.

Good luck with yours.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:13:38 PM »
Dear gardenia,

I had a manometry (swallowing with an instrument in my esophagus).

It showed that I had two problems.  1) my esophagus didn't 'move' water down properly, and 2) the valve at the bottom of my esophagus was constricted, so that water didn't leave my esophagus and go into my stomach properly,

I had a procedure to dilate the valve and some botox was injected into the muscles around the valve to relax them, allowing water/food to move out of my esophagus.

The manometry was easy.  But I'm good at taking tests and don't mind a little discomfort.

The person administering the manometry was very kind and thoughtful.

The entire process took about two hours, and I didn't even have to get undressed!

Keep us posted on how your procedure goes.

Regards,  Elaine
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

bluegardenia

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:28:18 AM »
manometry was quite annoying but not as terrible as i feared. but seems that i have achalasia and that would lead to an operation. i will know the 28 of march if its really that. im tyerrified and depressed. but this seems not related to sjogren.
 anybody the same?
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

Tharrell

• There has to be humor in this somewhere!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:13:55 AM »
I was recently diagnosed with achalasia after manometry and 24 hour ph test. A year before that the test showed jackhammer esophagus. I’m having a difficult time getting it treated. I get severe cramps in my esophagus, I flood if I drink to fast, pills don’t go down, food sits in the esophagus too long. Right bow I am taking bentyl. It is prescribed for four times a day for pain in the esophagus. I did notice that if I do take it 4 times the cramping is worse, but at three times it is barely enough. Literature says bentyl is contraindicated for achalasia, yet when I dig deeper I find that it is used. Thankfully I have a gastro appointment next week and I will tell him he needs to come up with something better!
MCTD, sjogren's,sero negative ra,achalasia,Issac's syndrome,MCI, nystagmus, acephalgic migraines,raynauds, plaquenil, requip, B2, spiriva, albuterol, topiramate,synthroid,baclofen,trulance, cevimeline,orencia,arava,prednisone,folic acid

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »
The diagnosis of achalasia comes when the valve or sphincter at the bottom of the esophagus is constricted, so that food/water can't release into the stomach properly.  Eventually the food/water do release slowly, of course.

I had that diagnosis and so I had the 'surgery', which is similar to an gastro-endoscopy.  A  small balloon is inserted into the esophagus, dilated to enlarge the valve, and then botox is injected into the muscles around the valve, to relax them, further allowing food/water to pass into the stomach.

It was an easy procedure, outpatient, with no recovery needed.

It worked fine, and now I don't have the blockage resulting in food/water backing up in my esophagus. I was so surprised when I drank cold water after the surgery and could feel it enter my stomach!  I had forgotten how that feels and didn't know I was 'missing it'.

In my opinion achalasia is related to Sjogren's because both are the result of neuropathic changes in the body.  Achalasia is caused by a degeneration of the nerves. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/achalasia

The same Immune Disorder that causes my body to attack my moisture system (Sjogren's) also attacks and damages other organs/systems in my body.  I have many organ/systems with nerve damage.  Meniere's, Sjogren's, Interstitial Cystitis, Peripheral Neuropathy, Small Fiber Neuropathy, IBS-D, are the primary ones.   

I'm sorry you are finding this depressing, Blue.  I find these procedures exciting.  I have hope that I can find some improvement in my daily life.  I have accepted (most of the time) that I have a major Immune Disorder that causes neurological damage.  I walk with difficult, having both braces on my legs, and walking with a walker.  It is what it is.

By the way, the procedure (balloon angioplasty and botox injections) is not a permanent solution in all cases, and may have to be done again later.  That's fine, since I'm happy to have an improvement now.  I have lived with severe episodes of my food/water backing up in my esophagus for several years, and any improvement, however temporary makes me happy.

Regards, Elaine

Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

bluegardenia

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 03:53:36 PM »
ciao carolina and thanks for your answer. this morning when i asked how the exam had gone, the doctor said that he has to  study it but the exam was not "right".shE will say something on the 28. i insisted to know what could happen if it is achalasia and she spoke about surgery not about botox. anyway i will have to do a  barium rx. three years ago i had gastroscopy and i was awakened by the gastro who said my friend you do not have achalasia. i told this to the doctor this morning and she said  it was three years ago... then i said i made also a barium rx two years ago and she answered it was  two years ago...
many things can change  with time passing...

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
Blue:  Happy, happy, happy for you. 
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

bluegardenia

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 04:06:51 PM »
ciao ccc, may be i did not explain well... from what the doctor told me after the exam,i have a diagnosis of achalasia . the official diagnosis on paper will be the 28 of march

cccourt1942

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
I meant you made it thru the test.   You were dreading it!   With SjS it’s always gonna be something.  At least you know. Next they will treat you to make you more comfortable. ????????????????????ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

bluegardenia

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
still hope not to have it....

bluegardenia

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »
seems its not achalasia... :D

cccourt1942

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
 ;)indeed!!  Now start all over in discovering what "it" is.  Do a little happy dance blue!!  ;D
ccc

bluegardenia

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
thanks ccc! when i made the manometry the doctor said that the result was not normal but that she wanted to examin it better. she left me like that for 15 days because she had  gone to a congress. but in the meanwhile i spoke with two  stomach surgeons who watched my old scans and rx and said that on their opinion there was not achalasia because when there is achalasia the esophagus changes shape and so the stomach that appears with a typical mouse tail(i translated from italian). they told me to make another rx study of swallowing and i did it yesterday. they told me that i had no spasms and no changed shape of esophagus. just nerves and gastritis