Author Topic: Eczema on legs  (Read 342 times)

araminta

Eczema on legs
« on: February 11, 2018, 03:05:27 AM »
This has been going on for several months now.   I saw a dermatologist a couple of times, was given a steroid medication which did help, and advised to use moisurisers as my skin was very dry.   Well I couldn't use the steroid med indefinitely, and as soon as I stopped the spots started coming back, even though I use moisturiser morning and night (either Cetraben or a coconut oil one).   They're not a solid rash, just red spots, and nearly always on the lower legs.   I was told I could use the steroid stuff again if necessary, but I would prefer not to be dependent on that - does anyone have any advice?
Dry eyes (MGD),dry nose, dry mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin, mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative and no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes.

jazzlover

Re: Eczema on legs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 02:01:01 PM »
I had the same issue and found out (quite by accident) that it was due to a salicylate sensitivity. Please explore it ..

https://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/salicylates
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:03:10 PM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

araminta

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 02:52:53 AM »
Many thanks for your suggestion, Jazzlover, I will certainly explore that possibility.   At a quick first overview it doesn't quite sound like my problem, as I don't take many aspirins - maybe one or two a month.   But I will read more about this.
Dry eyes (MGD),dry nose, dry mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin, mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative and no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes.

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »
I never take aspirin .. it's in foods, shampoos, lotions, makeup, etc.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

araminta

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:42:38 AM »
Yes, I've been reading that it's in lots of things.   However did you pinpoint that this was the problem?   And how do you now manage to eliminate it?   

jazzlover

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:58:09 AM »
I broke out  with really bad itching and hives and I remembered that my friend who had sold me a salve for eczema also had a handout.. I found it and it mentioned to check into salicylates. Bingo!

Then I researched histamine intolerance from there .. found out I have both.

There's a really good FB group called Salicylate Sensitivity you might want to join. They will tell you how to eliminate and reduce your exposure to sals. The worst part is the change in skin care and cleaning products, etc.  You can also breathe in sals .. in fragrances and such.

araminta

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »
Many thanks for all the information, I will look into this.   I'm glad you sorted out your own problem!