Author Topic: High risk OBGYN  (Read 345 times)

lizk

High risk OBGYN
« on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:44 AM »
Hello everyone,

When I saw my rheumy, she asked if I was thinking about having children. I told her my husband and I were thinking about trying for kids later this year. She wanted me to see a high-risk OBGYN preemptively to set a baseline. Has anyone else done this? Is this really necessary? I know my SS-A levels are always off the charts and that antibody is linked to congenital heart block. If anyone has any stories about their pregnancies and/or being monitored, I'd really appreciate hearing more.

Liz

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: High risk OBGYN
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 05:56:14 AM »
Hi  :)

I remember reading in the past here that some people saw a high risk OBGYN . if you've been told there's a risk of heart block - that would seem to make sense.

I also know that over the years several people have had successful pregnancies with healthy babies at the end of them.

I had three kids who were teens before I got a diagnoses - but the symptoms had started.

Hope somebody more knowledgeable comes with some better advice.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Cmeeker

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 06:08:49 AM »
I have. I knew I had the antibodies when I was pregnant but at that time had no symptoms. I had to see a high risk OB doctor, and then between weeks 12-26 of pregnancy had to go to the hospital for an extra scan to check on the babies heart. They found no issues. I also had to go for weekly non-stress tests in the third trimester because that was the protocol for autoimmune patients. It was a LOT of doctor visits but everything turned out great and my son was perfectly healthy. I think the risk of heart block is somewhere around 2%. I did, however, have a terrible flare a while after he was born that led to my diagnosis.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:49:12 PM »
This is one of those things that may seem insignificant and unnecessary and costly. The heart issues are not common, however, if you skipped the high risk OGYN and had problems with your baby you would never forgive yourself. That is about all I can say on the subject. I am 75 and hd 3 babies before they knew much about the Sjogrens affecting the baby. I was quite ill with
Sjogrens most of my last pregnancy and my baby was ok. Hard to outguess this stuff. Good luck Irish

aussie mum

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 01:29:14 AM »
My daughter has had 2 beautiful babies in the past few years.  Both pregnancies were monitored by a OBGYN in Australia's public health system, rather than a midwife due to being high risk.

Towards the end of her first pregnancy she had to go to the hospital weekly so they could monitor bubs heart. Luckily there were no problems.

The same hospital didn't follow the heart check protocol with her 2nd pregnancy. Not sure why..

I can't say it's all been easy for my daughter. While she was relatively well during the pregnancies, she did struggle a lot when her babies were young. She also had difficulties  breast feeding, which didn't surprise me as that is the ultimate moisture producing function for a female

A couple of years down the track,  both bubs and mum are going great. ;D
Daughter - SJS, Lupus, Underactive Thyroid, Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome & Insulin Resistance.

Me - Ankylosing Spondylitis, Total Thyroidectomy, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, High Blood Pressure, Hiatus Hernia, Dry Eyes & Mouth, Stomach Issues, Enbrel, Thyroxine, Atacand, Pariet, Krill Oil, Vit D

lizk

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 04:15:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate your insights! Did anyone go to the high risk OBGYN before they were pregnant?

Thanks,

Liz