Author Topic: tinnitus  (Read 585 times)

Gorn

• Also known as Kevin
tinnitus
« on: February 09, 2018, 02:23:52 PM »
Can this be a Sjogren's thing?  Or is it just some special thing all on its own I am experiencing now?

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »
Both! Sjogren's dryness can cause the ringing. Lack of nerve stimulation can also cause the ringing. When I got my hearing aids the ringing did disappear.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
Do some searching on histamine intolerance and salicylate sensitivity .. either one can cause tinnitus.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
I developed Meniere's after Sjogren's.   With Meniere's I have only tinnitus, fullness/pressure, and moderate hearing loss.  I don't have the the vertigo, however, for which I am grateful.

I have a 'white noise' machine (think tiny, white box) next to my bed to make a noise that somewhat masks the tinnitus at night.  I can't have it as loud as I'd like since it bothers my husband.  The white noise is at a more pleasant tone than my tinnitus, and of course, comes from outside my head, which helps.

I developed the tinnitus about 2-3 years before Sjogren's actually, but it got a great deal worse after about 5 years, and then the pressure and hearing loss followed directly.

I know for some people, tinnitus is unbearable.  For me, I am able to ignore it, except at night (hence the 'white noise machine'). 

On a scale of the conditions that are part of my Immune Disorder, tinnitus is far down the list of seriousness for me.  One ENT recommended N-acetyl cysteine

Regards,  Elaine
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
Hi  :)

I developed tinnitus as a result of taking Plaquenil. I was on it for 6 years. It took me awhile to connect the tinnitus with the Plaquenil. I eventually came off it because the tinnitus was driving me mad. Once off the Plaquenil I hurt a bit more but the tinnitus cleared up.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 10:54:17 PM »
I have had tinnitus since 1996 and lost all the hearing in right ear in 97 and 98. Have the doctor check the antibodies for autoimmune ear disease. I had 2 tests done recently and they were both positive. My other ear is now losing hearing. Hearing and tinnitus can be hard to pinpoint. We can have neuropathy inout otic nerve also and that can cause issues. Irish

Deb 27

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 05:52:37 AM »
I also developed tinnitus.      I was on 400 mg of plaquenil and they backed me off to 300 mg.  I was also having some dizziness at the time. This all seemed to go away when I started taking some supplements and vitamins.  Quercetin & L Glutathione. I think it was possibly the Quercetin. I also take CoQ10.

I hope this helps some and that you can get the tinnitus to go away. Stay away from loud noises and wear earplugs if you are exposed to loud noises.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, multi vitamin.