Author Topic: New bloodwork results and questions  (Read 253 times)

lizk

New bloodwork results and questions
« on: February 07, 2018, 04:39:56 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've read these forums for over 7 years now and am so grateful for everyone here. You've all helped me tremendously with questions about Sj and all the fallout that happens along the way. I was usually able to find answers in the forums in the past, but this time i want to post specific results. I have Primary Sj (SSA > 8.0) and secondary Raynaud's. I recently had some antibodies for celiac (antiendomysial antibodies) show up and I'm getting in endoscopy in a month.

Currently I take Evoxac 3x a day 30 mg and Plaquenil 200mg 1x a day. I generally feel pretty good. I am so lucky.

I visited the labs for my new rheumy recently and saw the results online. I'll see her next week to talk about the labs, but that feels like too long. A few things popped up that I'm not familiar with and I'm hoping the gracious members of this community can help.

HLA-B27: positive. This was a new one for me. I read that it's linked to ankylosing spondylitis, but from my understanding, it's not necessarily a diagnosis. I don't have any back issues currently, so it's just something to keep an eye on?

CARDIOLIPIN AB (IGM): 13 (high) I read that this is linked to possible miscarriage. This makes me nervous because I'd like to have kids. Does anyone know more about this?

COMPLEMENT COMPONENT C3C: 81 (low) I read that this isn't necessarily linked to Sj stuff. My C4 was within range, but close to the bottom. It was 16 and the range the lab gave me was 16-47. Does anyone know anything more about this?

FERRITIN: 163 (high) How does this relate to Sj?

IMMUNOGLOBULIN M: 337 (high) I've had this show up before and I know this can happen to Sj patients. It was ruled as MGUS.

BILIRUBIN, DIRECT: 0.3 (high) I know this is linked to the liver. I think a few years ago my rheumy mentioned I had a high liver enzyme, it could have been this, but I'm not sure. I know the liver can be affected my Sj. Does anyone know more about this?

WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT: 3.0 (low) I tend to hover around this number.

Any insight into these tests would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Liz

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: New bloodwork results and questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »
Hi - sorry - I'm no good at interpreting bloodwork but hopefully someone will come along that can.

The trouble with having SjS is that it doesnt actually stop us developing other conditions as well - so I have no idea if your bloods are to do with SjS or not.

Hope you get the answers you're looking for.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

snoweye

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:46:29 AM »
Hi Liz,

My own tests show some similarities with yours: persistent low WBC, high ferritin and seronegative for autoimmune specific markers.

Some researchers believe that autoimmune disease, in general, or at least in some cases are actually hidden infections. Joe has mentioned nanobacteria.

So this could explain low WBC and high ferritin. Ferritin can be a sign of inflammation. In effect, the body is storing iron so that it is less available to the pathogen.

Of course all this is a stab in the dark. We just don't know.

I am curious, have you had any IBS or digestive upsets in the years leading up to Sjogren's? And how old are you?

All the best,

Snoweye

lizk

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:58:41 AM »
Hi Scottie--thank you for writing me back and offering support. I appreciate it. Making sense of bloodwork is indeed difficult.

Hi Snoweye--thank you as well for writing me back. I appreciate hearing your experience. I'm seeing my rheumy tomorrow so hopefully she can shed some more light on things. The nanobacteria concept is really interesting.

Yes, I've definitely had GI issues for about 10 years.  I would have horrible diarrhea when I ate wheat so I was gluten-free for about 6 years. Then I started wheat again in March 2016, and it gave me the opposite problem. Some bloodwork end of last year revealed the anti-endomysial antibody and I'm going to get an endoscopy for celiac in early March.  I also tested positive for h.pylori and did a course of antibiotics in January.

I'm currently 36, will be 37 this summer. I got diagnosed at 29.

All the best,

Liz