Author Topic: What Soaps and Lotions do you use?  (Read 594 times)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
What Soaps and Lotions do you use?
« on: February 02, 2018, 05:47:39 AM »
I have dry skin. I am not a fan of lotions but during the winter I look for something for my dry skin. My new doctor gave me three big tubes of Triamcinolone. (It feels greasy).

I had to switch soaps recently. In the past I have used Ivory, Dial, Irish Spring, Castile, Tone, and now Dove. The soaps that we use for clothing can also cause problems.

What soaps and lotions do you use?

I have added a water bottle ultrasonic humidifier near my chair for sleep and have household humidity set to 45%.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: What Soaps and Lotions do you use?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 07:03:30 AM »
Hi  :)

I use a handwash and a shower gel from a local supermarket. They have no perfume. I can't tolerate perfumes any more. I also occasionally use Hydromol which I get on prescription. I use Simle shampoo - which also has no perfume.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Pete0211

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 07:45:10 AM »
When it's really dry (usually in the winter), I use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream for my hands and feet.

For soap, I use Nivea Men's Sensitive body wash in the shower, and use Dr. Bronner's soaps for hand washing through the day. Eucerin Skin Calming Dry Skin Body Wash Oil is good, too.

Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Restasis

jazzlover

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 08:00:19 AM »
I use Dove unscented soap and Vanicream Light for a lotion.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »
I use Dial white soap. In winter I use Aquafor on my feet with socks, Amlactin on my arms and legs. My
Face use oil of Olay with sunscreen.

In summer I use Vaseline intensive care body lotion, lanolin on my feet or Cerave cream

I always try to get fragrance free...sensitive skin type.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:45:52 PM »
My hubby had problems with clothes detergents for years....dry and itchy skin. His dermatologist told me to wash his clothes in Lux liquid. Tell your wife, she will know what it is. It is harder to find these days but some stores do carry it. Sometimes these older brands of products that are hard to find will show up in the dollar stores. I washed his good shirts, underwear, socks and good polyester work pants in it and he was more comfortable.

His dirty jeans I washed in a detergent that wasn't so harsh like Arm and Hammer unscented, etc. Good luck. Irish

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
I use:

NIVEA Essentially Enriched Body Lotion 16.9 Fluid Ounce

It is best used after showering/bathing on wet skin.

I also put it on my feet (very dry due to neuropathy) and then put on socks, to hold the moisture next to my skin.

I am 'fortunate' that at age 27 my skin suddenly went from horribly dry with severe eczema, to moist/oily.

Of course I thought I would go to my grave with pimples!  But I was so delighted to lose the eczema, and my moister skin is probably one reason I have few wrinkles.  When I had eczema I could never use any soap on my body, ever.  I seldom use soap now, but soap no longer bothers my skin.

I have my humidifier running night and day now, with our cold snap which seems to be more of a very long cold spell. 

Our skin is our largest organ, and often has major problems, not to be taken lightly.

Best wishes,  Elaine

Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

jazzlover

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:07:22 AM »
Soap nuts are great for laundry. No chemicals at all.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

SjoGirl

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »
I use creamy body washes in the winter. I even put some in my hand soap pump, kept my hands much softer than regular Softsoap.

I have been using a Curel lotion made for putting on when your skin is still wet (blue pump). I am rarely wet when I put it on, but apply it as soon as possible after getting out of the shower, it has helped tremendously.

My dermatologist recommended Amlactin products which I also use on my forearms, the skin of which are damaged from taking steroids in the past. I also use Amlactin after working in the kitchen.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
It's always something!
    Skin was my first "something".  Fair, growing up in Gulf Coast --sun, freckles.  Swimming.  When children were young (too young) we built a pool.  What you do in that area.  So more sun, more water, more skin stuff.  AND...had two red headed children.  I know we used suntan cremes (not oil..messes up the pool)..and it was before we had the noz kot stuff...lotions always on my to buy list.

By the time they were grown, I was having strange breakouts.  Drs wouldn't say I had psoriasis as where I lived, only plaque psoriasis was a "thing."  By about 50 I was given a product for face AND told to use Cetaphil.  Back then there was lotion only.  Now you can get lotion and cream.  I use cream (and along the line finally got my diagnosis for Guttate Psoriasis).  So I use an Rx too.  But then Cetaphil developed a body wash.  I used it but didn't like it. Then they developed a "gentle cleansing bar".  It isn't soap. They also have an antibacterial cleansing bar and have been told not to use that one.  I've used this for well over a decade.  (Plus the cetaphil cream)  Since I stopped working, my breakouts are minimal.  The rheumy says goes to show you how stress can create havoc when you have auto immune diseases!!

Loved the product SjoGirl mentioned.  Will ask my derma when I see her this month.  the Amlactin.  Just sounds good. 

The other thing Joe, men don't always use facial products.  I know you live somewhere cold (and not as sunny as where I am) ...and at "our" ages, you need to use some product on your face and neck.  I bet you always use an SPF product when you are outside.  Won't hurt to use even if you aren't.  You'll be surprised how nice it will feel to your upper body!  Seriously. 

This was a great thread.
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
RE:  12 % ammonium lactate is a generic of  OTC Amlactin.....I believe less expensive.
The dermatologist. I worked for rx this frequently. I love it.

Shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Nomad

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
We like CeraVe for very general stuff...it's all around excellent.

I like Origins foot cream for my feet. But, it isn't always easy to get.
I wish to find a foot cream with urea in it. I think that's what it's called.   I had one, but forgot what it was. So, if anyone knows of one, please let me know.
There is a product line, I think that is called Foot Logic that is very good.

I use a Retin A cream at night and a vitamin C serum in the morning....for my face. I've had good luck with these.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:49:31 AM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

bdnews2

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 06:07:25 AM »
Hello everyone.   I use alot of the aveeno products, the body wash,  stress relief moisturizing lotion and cream.  Dawn dish detergent and All Free for laundry.  I still get my days when itch prevails.  I  also use the Eucering calming lotion.  I find that once i use the Eucerin and keep busy that the itch subsides then I can get dressed.  I dont even try dressing until the itch goes away.  I use Pantene products for my hair.   I love the bath & body lotions, they work really well on the dry skin but alot of time cant use them because of the itch.
Marie

williak

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 06:54:50 AM »
I use Dove soap.  I take a bar with me when I travel.

I use Aveeno Skin Relief Moisture repair cream.  I used it for 25 years! It's awesome!
Sjogrens, RA, Chronic Kidney Disease, several types of dermatitis, Granuloma annulare, plaquenil, pilocarpine, restatis, clonezapam, cymbalta, methotrexate, humira, dexilant lutein, flax seed oil

dry2010

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
I buy goats milk bar soap and use Cerave lotion on my damp skin.

Dry2010
Diagnosed SJS March 2010, Gerd, Plaquenil & Generic Evoxac,suspected Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome,Wellbutrin, Hypothyroid and menopause.