Author Topic: Excruciating Shoulder Pain  (Read 416 times)

SjoGirl

Excruciating Shoulder Pain
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
After cleaning and doing other chores over the weekend I experienced excruciating pain in the backs of my shoulders. Both whole shoulders ache, but the pain is severe and is in back between my arm and trunk of my body. The pain is typically not just muscular, but nerve pain as well and tends to come on after cleaning or lifting and carrying items.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you know what it's from? I've had this problem before and it typically resolves within a few days after taking some Tyelnol or using Voltaren gel (or Ben Gay, though this time Ben Gay did nothing to help).

Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
Re: Excruciating Shoulder Pain
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
Sjogirl: (HNY)....the description of your activity and using the adjective "excruciating" takes me straight to costochondritis.  The location you  state is NOT where my costo hits...so I may be off the charts with this suggestion.  When you said "between arm and trunk" ==once again...screams costo.  I'm not going to go into it, I am going to refer you to Wikipedia.  It will tell you more than I can type!!  And it's a thorough description. 

Once I learned the name of the pain for me, it took me a few more attacks to look back to trace my activities to determine what exacerbates it FOR ME.  Once again, your saying "after cleaning"....well..any repetitive movements FOR ME with my hands over my head for an extended time can bring it on.

If i'm off track here, all I can say is THANK GOODNESS you aren't having costo.  So with that, good luck with someone knowing what's happening to you.
c3
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

SjoGirl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
Thanks ccourt. The most severe pain is in the back of my shoulders and it's on both sides, so I suspect it's not costochondritis (which I read to be similar to growing pains in children).

What occurred to me is that it may be polymyalgia rheumatica, the description of which more aptly describes the symptoms I am experiencing. I have a message into my rheumatologist and hope to hear back. The pain is now less concentrated and more widespread, I also can't sleep beyond 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. (not necessarily due to pain, I'm just awake).

So glad this list is here for when the flares come and grateful for your response.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

felpeyu2

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 03:53:45 AM »
I have been suffering shoulder pain since several months. I was on metotrexate and hidrocloroquine and my doctor said that I should quit metotrexate. This was more than half year ago and several months later my shoulder pain (and other pains like the balls of my feet) started.

Perhaps it is not the same kind of pain. Mine is (for the moment) on only the left shoulder. Since then, I can?t sleep over this shoulder and some days I wake up because of the pain.

This week I started to take prednisone (very low dose) and I had a tiny improvement.

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
Thanks felpeyu2. My pain is of two types - muscle and nerve. The muscle pain is around the shoulder joint so I think it's from OA combined with muscle strain. I've found that Voltaren Gel helps with the muscle pain, not much helps with the nerve pain other than staying off the shoulder (as you said, not sleeping on it). I had been on Gabapentin for the nerve pain, but had to stop taking it due to side effects.

Thanks for sharing. Best to you.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
I am wondering if you have seen a doctor. This sounds like it might be nerve pressure in the cervical area. I just had a cervical spinal fusion and have been researching cervical disc info. I just happened to read tonight about shoulder pain, arm pain, back pain in pinched nerve from slipped disc.

I had a disc pinching my spinal cord and I never had neck pain or headaches. I had back pain in many places, especially lower back...strangely. Also, incontinence of urine, severe arm pain in deltoid and biceps area plus nerve pain down arm and into my hands. Other pains also that would come and go. I had C4-C5 fusion with titanium plate on from of spinal cord and a new cadaver disc.

Hope that you can figure this out. Irish

SjoGirl

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:31:11 PM »
Hello Irish, yep seen a number of docs including a neurosurgeon a few months ago. I'm having carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow because he told me to have it before having neck surgery. I have neuropathy and I think he wants to see if the surgery will really help with the nerve issues and to see how I react in general to the surgery.

I think this could be from my neck, though some is clearly muscle pain because things like Voltaran gel help in some circumstances (not with the worst pain). The best treatment I ever had was having a shot in my shoulder years ago after they figured out that I had tears in my labial muscles in the front and back of my arm. I am inclined to ask them to check for that condition again, but want to get this surgery out of the way.

I am not that old but some days feel like I'm hot mess, falling apart. Thanks for your note and support, you're one of the best.