Author Topic: 2018 - Juggling Life Club  (Read 1330 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
2018 - Juggling Life Club
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
Happy New Year!!    ;D

Today, is January 1st, 2018 . . . .  a brand new day, a brand new year, and brand new adventures that lie ahead in this new year.

For those of you who don't know me, I am Bucky, a staff member at Sjogren's World. There have been so many new members the last few years I can't keep up with all of you.  If you have been around this forum for a while, in years past, I posted about a New Leaf Club that started in December 2009.  The premise of this "club" was a support group for our members who are looking to get their affairs in order - whether it be their house, their jobs, their families, etc.  For myself, I am more focused on my home and getting it organized so my "spoon" allotment is used wisely.  We haven't had this club since 2014, so I decided we should start the club again, and with today being a brand new year, there's no time like the present to start.

Here is a link to our club from some previous years:  http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?topic=24976.msg266528#msg266528;    http://sjogrensworld.org/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=66934de8472f8cfdbfda0742d2971e21&topic=21551.msg236498#msg236498

Life IS all about juggling so many things - our day-to-day activities, our homes, our families, our jobs, our health, our way of living.  I know for myself, that the journey is made sweeter when you have support and encouragement along the way.  That's what this "club" is all about.

I don't want this thread to focus on our health - even though that IS a big part of juggling life.  I want this to be about projects we are working on, plans for gardens, shared ideas on organizing, filing systems that work, craft projects, recycling projects, etc.  Please, no Debbie Downers - I want to keep this thread upbeat, positive and encouraging.

My first accomplishment of this 1st day of January was to have two new smoke detectors installed in the house. I hate to admit that the smoke alarms we took down were from 1991!!  Everyone should check their smoke alarms today too to make sure they are in working order.

One of the projects I want to work on this year is organizing all the boxes and boxes of photographs we have.  I'd like to get them all sorted so there is some sort of order to them.  Most of our photos have duplicate copies, and I want to pass them on to someone else who can enjoy them, rather than me keeping both sets of prints.  I'm going to need some room to spread this all out and work on it, without having to keep putting it all away again before I am finished with the project.  Our son is home for winter break from college and will be leaving later this week - so I might "take over" his bedroom as my work space while he's back at school.

Is there anybody who wants to be a part of this Juggling Life Club with me? 

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Carebear

Re: 2018 - Juggling Life Club
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:16:23 PM »
Hi Bucky!  I guess I'll give this a try again.

I "fixed" two basement windows today.  They were not closed tight enough so they were icing up a bit from the cold air sneaking in.  I will find out soon enough, if my idea worked.

A larger project that has been in limbo since early summer is my next task.  I am turning the area under the basement stairs into a cool play area for the grandchildren.  It will have cedar shake walls, making it feel like a cabin.  The flooring is vinyl planking that looks like real wood.  And I installed battery operated motion lights that light up the space when you enter.  All their games and toys will be organized on shelving.

So I need to finish installing the drywall, then apply the shakes on top of that.  It is a slow process because I'm working under stairs and all crouched down.  But the youngsters are excited about it.  So that's my motivation.

I will start on Wednesday, and work a little each day if I am able.  My goal is to have it finished before the middle of February.  I can't wait to see their little faces when it's unveiled!

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:05:51 AM »
Dearest Bucky, such a great idea!

I will tune in to see what amazing and diverse 'juggling acts' my friends are managing.

Carebear:  I am speechless over your house repairs and improvements.  My  husband does those things routinely, but I have never had any talent any that area.  Everyone's life is made better by those who 'juggle' with tools!

For myself, I am almost completely disabled now, I don't even do the cooking.  I can manage to do the laundry, however, so I don't feel completely useless.  My biggest jugging act is finding enough diversity i activities to fill up my day.  If I have one outing, that is about all I can manage (today I have my hair cut, and colored, for example).  As someone who could 'organize the world' it is frustrating to have nothing to organize.

I have been reading a book of interview highlights with performers by a writer for both The New York Times and Rolling Stone.   Since I lost 'track' of music about 30 years ago (I'm 75) I have had to go to Youtube to listen to all of the performers and it has been a revelation, and also a great way to keep my mind occupied.  For example, Cher made a big hit with Believe, and the back story is fascinating.  It took 9 years from the time the song was first written, until it was finally 'tweaked' into perfection. (if you think it is perfect?  It was number one around the world when it came out).

I play Words with Friends (a kind of Scrabble) and Bridge Baron, do the NYT Crossword puzzles, and have an assortment of on-line activities.  I do go out for one bridge group and one book group each month.  And of course family live nearby so there are activities with them, as well.

But the Juggling Acts of my Sjogren's Angels will be my best reading from now on.

Hugs, Elaine
Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR Bucky!    :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Carebear

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
Well...I may have been overly optimistic with the big project planned.  Perhaps I need to "recalculate".

But I did visit with old friends today to have lunch, share laughs and tears, and to love each other for who we are.  A beautiful afternoon!

So right now I am resting, reflective and feeling much gratitude.

Tomorrow is my "taking down the Christmas tree" day. 
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »
Happy Wednesday!

Carebear - your little play area for the grandchildren sounds awesome!  I want to come hang out there too!!  You'll have to show us a picture when it's all done.

I hope your little "fix" helps your windows too - it's waaaay too cold right now to let the outdoor cold inside the house.

As someone who could 'organize the world' it is frustrating to have nothing to organize.

Elaine - oh how I wish you could come to IL and organize my house!  You could just sit there and dole out your advice.   :D

Scottie - Happy New Year to you too!

Carebear - you mentioned taking your tree down today.  This year, I put up our "green" tree (versus my favorite retro silver pom-pom tree that I've put up for the last 10 years) - I'm really liking the green tree this year, and am not ready to take it down yet.  My husband said I could leave it up all year and he wouldn't care.  Since our son was home on winter break from college, I wanted to make Christmas special this year and put a lot of the ornaments on the tree he had when he was younger - including some he had made in pre-school and grade school.  I'm not so sure he was as impressed as I was . . . he's our only child, and I loved the chapter in our lives when he was younger.  So, I think I'll leave my tree up a bit longer and enjoy reminiscing of years gone by.

Here in Central IL we are having a heat wave today - a whopping 15 degrees which is so much nicer than the -10 and -15 we've been having.  The sun is shining, there's white puffy clouds in the sky . . . all is good!  Have a good day y'all and good luck on any projects you are working on.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »
Happy Friday!!   ;D

It's no wonder so many people are sick right now - yesterday, at 2 p.m. it was 61 degrees, by 3:30 p.m. it had dropped to 33 degrees and dropping rapidly.  Right now it's 24 degrees with a feel like of 3!  Brrrrrrrr

Is anybody working on any projects right now?

This past week on my days off work (I work part-time), I gathered up a bunch of older Tupperware (the vintage items from the 70's & 80's) from my cupboards and decided to sell them on a local site to where I live.  I haven't used a bunch of these items in a very long time and decided to free up some cupboard space and make a little money at the same time.  Well . . . . I do have some free space now, however, no action on the "making money" part yet.   :(  I thought for sure I would get at least one inquiry.  Nothing so far. 

My dining room table looks like a Tupperware warehouse!  Okay, maybe not quite, but close!  For those of you old enough, remember back in the 70's and 80's when the Tupperware Home Parties were the rage?  Gosh, I went to sooo many of them.  I have quite a few pieces of the "pastel" Tupperware that I do use daily (cereal bowls) and the gold 6 oz juice cups.  Those I'm keeping!  I have three of the double spoon rests too that I use all the time - those are keepers too!  :)

For the fun of it, I've gone to eBay and checked out the Vintage Tupperware and say out loud as I look at the items for sale . . . got it, got it, got it, got it!  (What can I say, I'm easily amused!!)

I'm going to try listing my items on another local web site to see if I have any luck selling them this weekend.  I'm going to box up the items I plan on selling and put them on a shelf in the basement for now if they don't sell, I don't want to donate them just yet. 

Would love to hear about any projects or plans you're working on.

Have a good weekend.

Bucky

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
The bathroom remodel has been in progress since Mid-October,
and I think I can almost see the day I can move my vanity contents off the kitchen table!   
The new vanities are ordered and 'due' on January 26.  And my husband has to prep the walls for painting.

I have ordered the new light fixtures, and identified the faucets we want from Home Depot. 
The mirrors are simple and I can't tell quality exactly on the internet. 
My husband will probably get them from Home Depot, too.

My job is to manage this sort of decision making and purchase. 
It took a crew of 3 men one and a half days to take out the vanities, 
finish taking up old tile, fix the support under the toilet, take out the mirror,
lay all the new tile.  It would have taken my husband two weeks.   
And he really can't do it because of his back, now.

He will put in the new vanities, lights and mirrors,
and build a linen closet to fit between the two vanities.

He had designed and constructed an accessible shower. 
The shower glass people have to put in one long wall.   
I'm not holding my breath on that.   But it will happen.

So that is what is happening at our house, for projects. 

I started physical therapy, which will be Tuesday and Thursday for 5 weeks.
Two of the sessions will be water therapy.   That will be my new hobby for the month.
I can spend a great deal of time procrastinating doing the PT each day, and then some time doing it.
So a full time hobby.

That's about it.  Bathroom remodel and PT.

Elaine

Female-76-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO, Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

Carebear

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:36:54 PM »
Elaine, that bathroom remodel sounds so exciting.  Especially because you can make out the finished product now.  It is in sight!

And getting your physiotherapy planned out too, Elaine.  I so admire your tenacity.

The windows I had repaired, well one was frost free when the temperature dropped back down to -40.  The other one remains a work in process, once it warms up again, that is.

I have been ordering some badly needed home decor items to finish the "dressing up" of the new bungalow condo we had moved into back in March.  It just needs some fine tuning to make things more personal around here.

Bucky, I hadn't considered leaving the Christmas tree up year round.  Until now!  But my tree is rather spindly so maybe I need a new one.  Perhaps next year.

My next project is to self publish a book for each of my children.  I have their old and not so old photos ready to scan.  And I have letters and cards and artwork they made for me ready to be duplicated.   These will crack everyone up!  My goal is to have the books designed by April, and ready to give them for Mother's Day.  A kind of "This Is Your Life" for each child (for those old enough to remember the tv show). 

This is something I can work on in short bursts, and will enable me to use the creative part of my brain.  Exercise for my "heart" as it were.

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:38:46 AM »
I just read this, so I am late. It is a wonderful new year for all of us.

I am working on a queen size patch work quilt for me and hubby. I am sewing the blocks together on my machine, but sitting to cut out the blocks at the table is hard on my back so I have been tracing around the template I made that is 8 inches, and then use my scissors which is working great for me. I can do that part while watching tv. I am using up fabric that is really pretty prints of various kinds. I want to have this quilt for me and hubby, but especially him that I made.

I had planned a year ago to make one for my son and daughter in law, but didn't finish that one due to my son changing his mind on colors, etc. So, I will be working on one for them too this year. It will be simple, and a queen size for a camper he is making. They have a big one bought, but he is very crafty and is making one of those new small ones.

I started the year writing in a journal. My son got it for me as a gift at Christmas. I write about what I did that day, then find a scripture I especially like, and end it with something I am thankful for.

Me and hubby are both planning to get rid of more things we don't need in the house.

All of you have very interesting things going on, etc.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »
Wow, you ladies have a bunch of projects in the works.

Elaine - the bathroom remodel sounds great.  It's a good thing you hubby is so handy around the house to be able to tackle projects like that (along with some outside help too).  The vanities come in a few days!  Yay!

Carebear - it's always fun to change the home d?cor.  I need to get some new pictures or something for the walls - the same things have been hanging there for 15 some years! 

I love the book idea!  I'm sure your children will love looking through them and treasure the book you made for them.  Our sons kindergarten teacher made a bound book of artwork our son made in class, and sent it home with him at the end of the school year.  I love it!  (this was 17 yrs. ago, and I still treasure it)

Susanep - quilt making is a labor of love.  I'm sure your family will enjoy them.  To me, it's the handmade gifts that mean the most.  A neighbor lady made me a afghan when I graduated from high school as a gift.  Forty three years later, I'm still using that same afghan.

Journals are a great gift.  It's good to look back and read what was going on at a particular time in your life. 

OK - what do you all do with shoes at your house?  Do you take them off and leave them by the door when you come in the house?  Do you have a shoe storage unit you put them in?  Do you hide them under the bed?  Do you leave them "wherever" and come looking for them when you need them?  Leave them in a heap on the bedroom floor?  Stack them on shelves in your clothes closet?  All of the above?

Here's my dilemma - I have a hanging shoes organizer in my bedroom closet - it holds 10 prs. of shoes (with some slots holding 2 prs. of sandals each)  - it's FULL.  I have an under-the-bed shoe organizer that holds 12 prs. of shoes - it's FULL.  I have seven pairs of shoes laying on the bedroom floor.  I have six pairs of shoes I am waiting to donate once spring gets here.  I know 30 pairs of shoes sounds like a lot and I should downsize more . . but . . you know how it is, you have to have different shoes for different occasions, different colors, dressy shoes, everyday shoes, tennis shoes, sandals, etc., etc.  I don't have any more room under my bed for any more storage containers.  I don't have any more room in the closet for another shoe organizer.   What to do with the shoes on the floor?? 

I do have an old bookcase in the "mud room" that has boots, and misc. outdoor shoes in it - no room there either.

Any suggestions?

Bucky

P.S.  If you are just now reading this thread - feel free to jump and join anywhere along the way - the more the merrier!   :)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
Hi everyone - wow, the months are just flying by - only one more week of March left! 

Well, I finally took my Christmas tree down in early March!!  We figured it was time for it to come down, although hubby said I could leave it up all year if I wanted to.

As far as other projects, I'm no farther along than I was months ago.   :(  I did list the vintage Tupperware and some of my hubby's new-with tags shirts that are too small for him (it's been too long to return them to store - they were gifts) - and didn't get one inquiry on any of it!   :(  We were hoping to make some extra $$$ on the items.  I "might" have a garage sale this summer just to generate some extra money - I'll have to think on that.  Me, the garage sale queen of yesteryear, who used to have two sales a year and found some great bargains through the years hitting the garage sale trail.  All that changed in late 2013 after my dad died unexpectedly and we had to sell the house.  Cleaning out the home my parents shared for 60+ years in a matter of weeks was overwhelming and exhausting.  I haven't had a sale since then.

I've also been holding on to some household items waiting to see if our son wants them for his apartment he'll be moving into soon.  Once he makes up his mind, then I can get rid of them and free up some space at our house.

Since our son will not be coming back "home" after he graduates from college I don't have to move all the things I've stored in his bedroom since he's been gone to school!   ;D  Yay, his closet is now MINE!!!  A girl can never have too much closet space!

Does anybody have any updates to projects they are working on or plans for any upcoming projects - home improvements, garden, flower beds, vacations, etc.?

Bucky

Carebear

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 05:57:08 PM »
Hi Bucky,

I did have a set back this winter, or rather the whole family did.  So I am just getting back into project mode.  My granddaughter had spinal fusion surgery in January and my spouse sustained a concussion right after Christmas.  Both are on the mend, thankfully.  Brain injuries for someone in their late 50s can take a very long time to heal though.

Anyway, I can see the medical rated stresses in the rear view mirror now, and started back at the extra chores this week.  I am getting the play/toy storage area under the stairs done and the plan is to have it completed by Easter.  The walls will be covered in cedar shakes then finished to appear "weathered".  I've never done anything like this before.  I hope it turns out nicely for the grandkids.  I plan to have a mini version of those home renovation shows with the big "reveal" on Easter Sunday.

I also organized all the little things like screws, bolts, and nails.  The storage room is 50 percent done now.  It will be finished before the end of April for sure...provided the family stays healthy that is!

I moved into a bungalow condominium a year ago.  This is the first real summer I'll be here because last year  was more about recovering from the move.  So I will be doing container gardening this year because I desperately need to get my hands dirty!  Gardening is a soulful experience for me.  Now I've never done container vegetable gardening before so we will see what we can learn this year.  I have my favourite chair and an umbrella on the deck,  which means I will be comfortable and able to enjoy my handiwork whenever the sun is up.

Big plans, for sure.  But I'm up for it.  Wait.  I'm going to have a nap now!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »
Carebear - sorry to hear about the medical issues with family - hopefully your granddaughter and husband have a smooth recovery.

That's the thing with "life" . . . just when you think you have things all figured out, something comes along and causes a bend in the road.  We have to deal with the issues at hand and continue the journey even if it takes longer than we planned.

I've seen some container gardens and they look like they are more manageable than a larger garden.  Being able to sit on the deck and admire your handiwork is icing on the cake!   ;)

I've started spring cleaning around the house here this week on my days off work.  I washed the curtains in the living room and washed all the windows too - inside and out.  Whew, that was a job!  I'm glad that's done.  I also did the curtains and windows in the laundry room.  Slowly but surely I will get the rest of the house done too.

I went through the hall coat closet and pulled out five jackets that aren't being worn, washed them up and have them ready to take to the thrift store for someone else to enjoy.  I've got shoes (some new, never worn) to take to the thrift store too.

Does "thinking" about the projects I want to work on count as actually doing them??  I wish!!

Have a good weekend . . . I'm heading off to do some more shuffling of papers and cleaning up.

Carebear

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
As usual I overestimated my energy level, and "forgot" how life and Sjogren's can get in the way of our best intentions.  The storage/play area continues to evolve though.  The grandkids were impressed with how much I had done since their last visit, so that's a bonus.  On my way downstairs soon, to work a little more on one wall.  This one is tough because I have to work under the stairs, all scrunched up.  Ouch!  Can't stop now!