Author Topic: Common causes  (Read 287 times)

Nomad

Common causes
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:14:29 PM »
Two questions:
Generally speaking, what are considered the top causes or the mostly likely causes of Sjogrens Syndrome? For example, Epstein Barr Virus? CMV? Something else? Other things?

2. If EBV is one likely cause, can you get the virus as a young person but not get SJ Syndrome until you are 55 (for example)?
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Common causes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:26:12 AM »
From the Mayo Clinic web site:

Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder. Your immune system mistakenly attacks your body's own cells and tissues.

Scientists aren't certain why some people develop Sjogren's syndrome. Certain genes put people at higher risk of the disorder, but it appears that a triggering mechanism — such as infection with a particular virus or strain of bacteria — is also necessary.

In Sjogren's syndrome, your immune system first targets the glands that make tears and saliva. But it can also damage other parts of your body, such as:

Joints
Thyroid
Kidneys
Liver
Lungs
Skin
Nerves

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sjogrens-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20353216

So far I haven't had Kidney, Liver or Thyroid Damage.

I have had Immune Dysregulation all of my life, Nomad.  So I probably have a genetic predisposition.

I had measles, and chicken pox, many viral colds and bronchitis, and mononucleosis.  Mono is almost always caused by EBV.

Approximately 90% of the US population is infected with Epstein-Barr virus by age 25 years. Epstein-Barr virus infection does not occur in epidemics and has relatively low transmissibility.

Because almost everyone is infected with EPV, it would be difficult to truly tie it to Sjogren's, I think.

I had severe eczema from birth, as well as other signs of Immune Dysregulation before falling ill with Mono at age 18.

Over half of adults by age 40 have been infected with CMV.  So it would be difficult to truly tie CMV to Sjogren's.

Sjogren's syndrome is a rare chronic recurrent disease which etiopathogenesis is still unknown. Salivary glands involvement in Sjogren's syndrome is often associated with viral infection. In order to prove this hypothesis we have conducted virological studies in four patients with Sjogren's syndrome. The studies showed no correlation of Epstein-Barr virus or CMV and Sjogren's syndrome development. Patients with Sjogren's syndrome may be Epstein-Barr virus carriers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22332375

Enter your question with the term pubmed following the question.  Then you will get all of the NIH medical research listed.

Regards,  Elaine

Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Amitriptyline-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:45:34 AM »
That is a very interesting question  and unfortunately one that doesn't have a straight forward answer.

Many researchers avoid the word "cause" when discussing Autoimmune Disease (AI) preferring to say "commonalities", as in "common or frequently repeated  medical occurrences in the histories of documented patients". In addition to the two you mentioned, other commonalities that come up frequently in AI are genetics; pre-existing additional AI; environmental exposure to some chemicals; heredity (slightly different from genetics in that it "runs in the family" but doesn't have the positive HLA genes); stress, either physical or emotional; and bacterial, fungal or other viral infections. This is not a complete list, but you get the idea, and many people demonstrate one or more of these commonalities.

Many people here have noted that they had EBV, either just prior to developing Sjogren's symptoms or sometime in their history; others note a bacterial infection like strept throat. This could be accounted for under the headings of either physical stress or infection, so it's kind of vague.

I'd love to see some responses to which factors people here have, to see if we can come up with an informal rating.

I personally have had EBV, 5 years before my first AI diagnosis and a full 35 years before the Sjogren's diagnosis. I also have had strept throat, a family history, environmental exposure to contaminants like Agent Orange, what some consider a stressful lifestyle, and viral meningitis.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Liz D.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:57:31 AM »
I have had EBV when I was 20 years old.  Then when I was 36, my father died and I went through a very hard time.  I believe the stress from his death with the EBV in my system triggered my Sjogrens.  That’s just my opinion.

Liz D.
54 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Vitamins, calcium, flaxseed oil

Nomad

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 03:13:56 AM »
Thank you.
I had what in retrospect was likely mono as a young person.
Wasn't tested for EBV until later in life after my SJS dx.
I was under stress when Lupus showed up at age 26.
Was under mega stress again when SJs showed up in my fifties.
Additionally, I had several colds/sinus infections in a row
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

bluegardenia

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
i never had EBV. i had lots of throat diseases when child and i had tonsillectomy at ten. lots of penicillin that was the only antibiotic at the time. i became allergic to it. my mother and my uncle had hashimoto. nothing from my father's side. i started developping sjogren slowly slowly when i lost my son. first signs were dry eyes, and then mouth. stress, grief were the cause imo.
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

SabbraCadabra

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 06:35:44 AM »
I think I was 17 when I contracted mono, but SJS symptoms had begun popping up about 12 years before then. Symptoms didn't change at all after mono.

My case of mono was pretty severe; I could barely last 30 minutes outside of my bed, could barely eat, and I could still feel bits of it lingering on for at least half of the school year (luckily the worst of it was during Summer vacation).

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall having a lot of muscle pain issues in my left shoulder that took forever to go away...I can't remember the details, though...but if I'm remembering the correct shoulder (sometimes my memories become mirror images), that's the area of my body that, these days, most of my pain is centered around.

I may have had chicken pox before SJS symptoms appeared, but it's hard to say.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »
I had a bad case of the Hong Kong flu when I was about 15 years old.  I was on a trial program of oil emulsion allergy shots when a student nurse and had a severe reaction----no anaphylactic reaction but needed benedryl. From then on my allergies were entirely different. I said that I felt the allergies affected my insides but no visible reactions anymore. I had fatigue, etc.

When I was a senior in training I fell backwards rollarskating and had a severe skull fracture and concussion that took me several years to recover from. After that it seemed like every so often I had spells of fatigue and other strange things. I always told my hubby that I felt like my body was turning on me. Darned if it wasn't.
This is when the symptoms of myasthenia gravis showed up that took me 42 years to get diagnosed.In my gut I suspected this but was poohed by docs as a hypochondriac nurse. Irish

Liz D.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:39:54 AM »
To add to my earlier post and in response to Saddacadabra’s last comment, I had a severe case of chicken pox at age 30.  My mother always suspected that that was the catalyst to getting SJS.

Liz D.
54 year old female
Sjogrens Syndrome (diagnosed 2004, but problems started in 2000), Hypothryoidism, Asthma, Osteoporosis
Meds:  Plaquenil 400 mg; Synthroid 100mcg; Evoxac, Flovent, Flonase, Protonix 40 mg.,  Prozac 40 mg. Naproxen 500 mg., Vitamins, calcium, flaxseed oil