Author Topic: Update: More blood test reaults and referral to rheumatologist  (Read 141 times)

TMM1000

Update: More blood test reaults and referral to rheumatologist
« on: December 01, 2017, 07:59:32 AM »
Following my last post, things have felt like they are getting worse (previously my eyes were unaffected but now they are). As a consequence, I spoke to my GP again and insisted that I was referred to a rheumatologist. It was a battle to try and get this done but I persevered. My appointment is mid-January, so in the meantime I was sent for a new lot of blood test to look at rheumatoid factor and ANA etc. 

So, I've just got the results back and everything was normal apart from high calcium, albumin and protein levels. I was wondering if anyone has come across this? From, what I've read high calcium can be associated with parathyroid problems, although I don't think dry eyes/mouth/nose etc are symptoms of this. I;ve also read that high albumin can be associated with with dehydration and I wonder if this could be from sjogren's?

Anyway, my fatigue/dry mouth/ eyes continue. As I said previously, during the day the dryness isn't so bad but it becomes intolerable when I lie down. Based of what other have said, I tried xylimelts but I really can't say they have helped very much at all. I tried sesame oil for my nose too, although this actually seemed to irritate my nasal passages even more and made them bleed! A humidifier helps somewhat but only a little, really. 

Any thoughts on the blood test results and high calcium/albumin/protein levels would be welcome.

Thanks.

Pete0211

Re: Update: More blood test reaults and referral to rheumatologist
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
I definitely recommend that you get tested for parathyroid hormone levels. I unknowingly had hyperparathyroidism for almost 2 decades, and having the rogue gland removed was a significant improvement for my health/life.

I didn't have similar dryness issues until a year after my surgery - I believe both diseases to be unrelated, but who really knows. Hyperparathyroidism does have effect on the kidneys, so it could also be the reason for the elevated albumin/protein - but a conclusion like that is way over my level of knowledge.

Male 49 y/o; Undergoing Primary SJS diagnosis process; Cevimeline, Ubiquinol, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium,Vit. D3, Restasis

TMM1000

Re: Update: More blood test reaults and referral to rheumatologist
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
I definitely recommend that you get tested for parathyroid hormone levels. I unknowingly had hyperparathyroidism for almost 2 decades, and having the rogue gland removed was a significant improvement for my health/life.

I didn't have similar dryness issues until a year after my surgery - I believe both diseases to be unrelated, but who really knows. Hyperparathyroidism does have effect on the kidneys, so it could also be the reason for the elevated albumin/protein - but a conclusion like that is way over my level of knowledge.

Thanks for your thoughts, Pete. Yes, it's something to make a note of. I'll have to wait until mid- January before anything further is looked at. I'm hoping, in the meantime, that some of my symptoms improve.