Author Topic: Steroid induced diabetes?  (Read 116 times)

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
Steroid induced diabetes?
« on: November 23, 2017, 10:30:04 PM »
I have been on steroids for over a year because when I attempt to go off of it, my neck still continues to swell. The doctors do not have any ideas what's causing this, but steroids keep in from choking me.

After my mom passed, i was messing around with her glucose meter. Which is odd, she wasn't diabetic. I'm not sure why she even had it. Anyway, I'm not diabetic (up until a year ago, at least) So, when I take my blood sugar, it's over 300! I freak out! I brought it up to my Rheumatologist because I saw her on Wednesday and she said that steroids can induce diabetes. Yes, I am overweight by a lot, but up until recently, my blood sugars have been great. Can this come on this fast? I know medications can increase my blood sugar and the doctor is running tests. She asked me about increased thirst, urination and I have none of those symptoms. My last blood tests were mostly ok, there was inflammation, but that's about it. She also did urine tests prior and there weren't any red flags. What the heck is going on? I'm worried. When she took blood this time, I had not eaten since the night before.

I guess I just didn't think diabetes could come on that fast. Plus I've lost 40 lbs since my last visit with her. She believes that is stress from my mom's passing. I told her I'm just not hungry. I don't eat but once a day.

Any thoughts?
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Steroid induced diabetes?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
Diabetes is an interesting illness. Mine came from an overdose of Tylenol that damaged my liver over 30 years ago. I am on long acting insulin, water pills, metformin, and Glipizide. I take a high dose of Omega-3 to lower my cholesterol.

A few years ago I was in a nursing home and lost 100 lbs., it had no impact on my diabetes. My triglyceride was still and issue so the weight loss had no effect. I think the liver damage was the true issue since that was the trigger for my diabetes. The not wanting food is part of the challenges with diabetes.

I have an allergic reaction to fast acting insulin. So it does not work how it is supposed to work in me. The panaceas is a gland that produces fluid, and Sjogren's does attack your glands.     
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

kjk

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:26:01 AM »
Steroids can do a lot of harm to the body and yes, diabetes is one of them. I had surgery and was put on Prednisone and it caused my glucose to spike to over 300 as well. Prior to that, the levels were under control with Metformin.

Deb 27

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:28:19 PM »
Yes, prednisone and steroids can definitely cause you to have diabetes. It might go away when you get off the steroids but it's best to keep in touch with your doctor and take some meds. Don't take diabetes lightly or ignore it.  Blood sugars over 200 are definitely in the diabetes range.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, multi vitamin.