Author Topic: ear issues and facial nerves?  (Read 312 times)

trc1962

ear issues and facial nerves?
« on: November 04, 2017, 08:13:13 PM »
I posted a few days ago about the ear issues, ringing, fullness, etc. I have been dealing with. I saw an ent and he said I didn't have menieres (sp) period. He did notice the twitch I get around my left eye and asked a lot about that. I had a hearing test and my left ear has definitely lost hearing since whatever this is started. He scheduled me for a ct scan and said what he thinks I have is treatable and left it at that (I could only guess). My ears have been crazy this afternoon and evening and noise is painful. Now my tongue feels a bit slow and my face on the effected ear side feels weird. I have neuropathy - never been proven by a test though, but my rheumy treats me because he knows it is real. Does the ear, facial thing sound like trigeminal neuralgia? This isn't terrible pain and I thought that was how facial nerve pain was? Thanks for your input and hoping for answers soon.

MAT51

• Hashimoto's, SN RA, Primary Sjogren's, SFN
Re: ear issues and facial nerves?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 01:19:51 AM »
Yes I have exactly this! I don’t have hearing loss as such but I do have constant tinnitus and multiple twitching around my eyes and ears plus some numbness, pressure and tingling all over my face. I had a CT recently but ENT discharged me as nothing showed. I saw a Sjögren’s expert recently who said Trigeminal Neuralgia as this is common for those who have small fibre neuropathy as major Sjögren’s symptom as I do. I also have an unexplained bad taste and swallowing issues. The ENT assumed it’s all down to Sjögren’s dryness but my oral consultant can find little sign of this so called Myofascial Pain. This doesn’t fit to me.

Interestingly (to me so perhaps to you with similar symptoms) my dentist has just found a whole mess caused by long ago abscess under two lots of root canal in two molars sitting right on the trigeminal nerve area. He has referred me back to the oral consultant to decide what to do as there’s a high chance another abscess will suddenly occur. He thinks that this could well have triggered al the Trigeminal issues I suffer from now. I think it might be worsening everything but as I have longstanding SFN in both arms and legs I don’t think it’s the only cause of my facial problems.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:22:20 AM by MAT51 »
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

eina

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:40:10 AM »
This might be off the mark, but I have extremely similar symptoms (ringing / tinnitus, muffled hearing, hyperacusis, pressure / pain / fullness in the ears, vertigo, facial pain) and was just diagnosed with TMJ. I had no jaw locking or trouble chewing and my pain was initially mild and felt really vague, I couldn't pin down where exactly in my face it was coming from- I just had a host of odd, disruptive symptoms with no clear cause.

It wasn't until the pain got much worse and started radiating obviously from my jaw that I got sent in for an assessment.
seronegative "sicca syndrome with keratoconjunctavitis" - non-AI hypothyroid - Raynaud's - erythromelalgia - neurogenic rosacea - TMJ - fibromyalgia - IBS & LPR

trc1962

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »
Thanks for your answers. The dr. did say my jaws grind a bit and he kept feeling this spot below my ear on my neck that is sore. We will see I guess. I am having some neuropathic issues in my left hand as my index finger twitches as does the inside edge of that hand. Did the treatment for tmj help your hearing?  I am concerned but trying to be hopeful.

eina

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
I was actually just diagnosed this past week so time will tell! Feeling pretty optimistic about it though. If it helps my doctor was very certain that treating the TMJ would alleviate my ear symptoms, I guess it's pretty common.
seronegative "sicca syndrome with keratoconjunctavitis" - non-AI hypothyroid - Raynaud's - erythromelalgia - neurogenic rosacea - TMJ - fibromyalgia - IBS & LPR

Fanciefrancie

• Do more of what makes you happy
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »
I am dealing with this exact same issue.  I finally went to ENT because I thought I had eustacian tube dysfunction and he insisted it?s TMJ.  I am getting an MRI for that and ear area next week.  I have lost some hearing in that ear, I have eye twitching and a hard swollen gland under my jaw, close to my ear.  It is all so frustrating and painful at times.  I also agree, loud noises and sounds really irritate me; I?m always on edge. 

Xoxo

Mother of 3, Primary Sjogren's, dx 2015, Plaquenil, Lexapro, Vyvanse, Vit D, Wine

Positive SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »
Francie:  It is impossible for TMJ to serve up the symptoms to which you are replying as described by trc1962.  I may be more leery of ENTs' obvious misdiagnoses as my history with some bad ones.  Wike or google TMJ.  You will read for yourself. 

I don't know what is causing your problem---perhaps AI hearing issues, perhaps parotid swelling (sialadenitis maybe--and what I would think), but eye twitching will not occur due to TMJ. 

I was misdiagnosed as TMJ by an endodontist, a dentist, and an ENT.  After 5 miserable months, one night my painful jaw "popped" after a large yawn--and my jaw fell back into its socket.  I had somehow (perhaps with a large yawn) popped it out of socket.  I am old...I was told it happens in various joints as one gets older.  I am not saying this is your prob...and one reason is you aren't old!!  Also you are describing sialadenitis---which is treated by ENTs. 

Good luck to all of you.  Nothing is more bothersome than ear, head, parotid aggravations.   

ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Fanciefrancie

• Do more of what makes you happy
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »
ccc: I was so infuriated with my ENT when I left.  I am just going nutso crazy with all types of symptoms and doctors.  Sometimes I think I?m going to lose my mind! 
Mother of 3, Primary Sjogren's, dx 2015, Plaquenil, Lexapro, Vyvanse, Vit D, Wine

Positive SS-A ( > 8 ) and ANA (>1:640)

trc1962

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »
I was dizzier than ever today and while teaching a class my left hand began to tingle and the palm felt "asleep" a very weird thing. While this was happening my face on the same side felt strange as well. I may have TMJ but I doubt it would cause the hand/face thing. When I have neuropathic issues it always affects my left side a lot more. I sent my rheumy and email (he likes to communicate this way) just so he knew about the hand issue. Hoping everyone gets answers to the stuff going on.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 05:00:13 AM »
I began with tinnitus years ago, progressing to a sense of pressure in my ears and hearing loss.  I was diagnosed with Meniere's (but without the vertigo, thank god).

After all of this developed, I began to have tingling and burning of my eyelids, lips, and tongue, and then my entire face.  In addition my arms, hands and fingers were involved.

Small Fiber Neuropathy was diagnosed (but without skin biopsy) and now I take 3600 mg Gabapentin and have almost complete relief.  I can still feel the area around my mouth, and my lips burning if I 'pay attention'.

I learned long ago to 'suppress' awareness of my tinnitus and facial pain most of the time.  (and my neck pain and, and, and)  I have a white noise machine next to the bed to drown out my tinnitus, or at least take the edge off.

Trigeminal neuralgia is one of the worst pains in the world, and you would know if you had it.  Fortunately I don't, tho' it is in the 'family' of conditions shared by those of us with Immune Disorders.

Regards, Elaine

Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Amitriptyline-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

trc1962

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
So I don't have an acoustic neuroma and I did have some TMJ issues and some narrowing in the semi circular canals. TMJ wouldn't cause dizziness and wouldn't come on sudden said my rheumy. The ear canal thing could cause dizziness but have probably been narrowed my entire life so who knows. I do know that there is discomfort on the left side of my face, in my jaws and teeth but also under my tongue and on the inside of my cheek. I also have irriation at the back of my throat where the eustation tubes connect and what that is from I don't know. I hope to hear from the ent myself soon and maybe get answers.