Author Topic: A silly fear.  (Read 158 times)

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
A silly fear.
« on: October 31, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »
So, I've been losing a lot of hair. I'm sure some of it is age, some of it is medicine and stress. My hair is to my waist and I've been contemplating getting it cut to just below my shoulders. I was so excited about it, but now I'm hesitating. What if it won't grow back? I'm losing so much and my hair is thin anyway. So, I kinda look scraggly. Yet, I'm worried it won't come back. Silly fear, but it's there, nagging at me. I was going to do it tomorrow (well, today now) but I don't know. I feel like I need a change, but..
~Shelly

Don't look to the past, there's nothing new there for you.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: A silly fear.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
Go some where that will take donations for cancer patients. My wife prefers that her hair is short. She has a thin spot that was getting to her. It took a couple of years for her to reach some degree comfort with it. She now has a style (not a comb over) that helps it not to be so noticeable. Once she reached acceptance some came back. Stress plays a big part.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:58:56 PM »
Thanks. I ended up cutting it. They took over a half a foot off! Sadly, it was too damaged to donate. I've noticed that since I have less hair in length, it "appears" to be fuller. It's not, but it looks that way and I'm ok with that for now.
~Shelly

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:13:46 AM »
I am sorry to hear that it was damaged. My wife (Jan) cut her hair short for softball several decades ago. She has kept it short since. Her Twin has long hair. Jan likes the ease of care. She can get in and out of the shower quickly. Her hair has become thin on the top of her head (I think it is from stress). When her stress is lower it seems to come back. So I try not to stress her out and recommend options to help reduce her stress.

You may look for treatments for hair loss.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 05:11:30 AM »
As we age our hair thins.

Those of us with Immune Disorders may have hair loss as well.

In addition, some of our medications may cause hair loss.

The shorter you wear your hair, the fuller it will seem.   The weight of longer hair pulls on the hair mass, making it flatter.

I have my hair cut every 5 weeks (and colored, as well, which adds body).  I wear a stylish (to me) hair style longer in the front and very short in the back.   

You will see very elderly ladies with short grey hair, a strong permanent (also adds body) and curls (to fluff up the appearance).   To me this is 'the kiss of death' of looking 'old'.

Of course we should not care about looking old...but, alas, I do despite my understanding of how foolish this fear is.

When we travel to my husband's class reunions in Iowa, I am the only platinum blonde in a sea of grey curls.  Because my hair has (normally) white areas, I can have my hair colored and achieve a 'look' that is like 'highlighting' since the color 'takes' in different areas in different degrees.

I had read that 'a women's hair is her cross to bear' in life.   My hair has always been silky fine, but thick (many hairs per square inch).  Our hair grows thinner (fewer hairs per square inch) as we age.

I wish you well in your journey.  I do know that long hair 'pulls down' an aging face, and cutting your hair shorter will also be less 'aging'.  If you care about this.

Regards,  Elaine
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Amitriptyline-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

DeadGirl75

• Dark Moon Series
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
Thank you, all. I was prepared to go gray and actually love seeing the streaks of glitter in my hair. What I was not prepared for was losing it. I've looked back through pictures as far back as ten years ago and see that it has been thinning. It could be Sjogren's as I have had these symptoms for as long as I can remember.

I've also started using a powder boost that adds texter and it helps A LOT!
~Shelly