Author Topic: % of people filing for disability who are rejected  (Read 937 times)

SjoGirl

% of people filing for disability who are rejected
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »
FYI to anyone interested in knowing what happens % wise with disability applications:

DISABILITY BENEFITS - Social Security initially approves just 36% of disability applications, i.e., they reject 64% of disability applications at first.  Once rejected, a disability applicant can appeal to 4 additional levels: a reconciliation appeal sent to the same state agency that made the original decision; to the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review; to the Appeals Council; to Federal Court (source: SS Disability SSI Resource Center).         

This is from a financial planner I know who posts a By the Numbers email every Monday morning.
Raynauds, sero-negative RA, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Evoxac, Lanzoprezole, calcium acetaminophen.

Nomad

Re: % of people filing for disability who are rejected
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »
I actually thought the percentage that get approved right away was very low.
I heard that a high percentage need to reapply with an attorney.
I wonder if some states are harder than others?
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
Re: % of people filing for disability who are rejected
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »
There are a lot of factors that play into the rate of refusal. State, nature of medical problem, and applicant's age are some of the key ones. 
Each state manages the applications, so vary in what they want to see, and the speed at which they get things done.

Nature of the problem: SS Disability has standards for proof for various disabling conditions. Overview here
https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/AdultListings.htm. Here's the one for Sjogren's https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/14.00-Immune-Adult.htm#14_10
So if your illness doesn't fit neatly into a predefined category, or you don't have things in your medical record that demonstrate the requirements, you're likely to get rejected.

Age - there's a bias against approving younger people.  If you are 50 with a certain set of symptoms, and have worked all your life, you probably better chance of being approved than if you are 25 with the same symptoms.  I think this a "hidden" bias, rather than a policy. A concern that a 25, maybe you are malingering, especially if your disability is in autoimmune, mental health, or back related.   This one's just my opinion, but anecdotally, that's how it seems.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers