Author Topic: Fingernails coming off?  (Read 1020 times)

Yelssin

Fingernails coming off?
« on: October 22, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »
I was diagnosed with Sjogren's over 30 years ago. Have been treating symptoms as they arise over the years. 10 dental implants are probably the most annoying. Lately, my nails have really fallen apart. Three have lifted from the nail beds. All are cut short and two appears to have fungus at this time. They are really hideous. Currently using fungicide. Any suggestion for getting them to a reasonable shape would be greatly appreciated. Dermatologist no help at all. Thanks

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: Fingernails coming off?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:59:39 AM »
Like you, I've been dealing with the various symptoms of Sjogren's for some time, and the overall effects of other AIs for much longer, nearly 50 years.

I have one nail that is lifting, and very slightly yellowed at times, which at first led me to suspect a fungus, but testing showed it wasn't. Interestingly enough, I had this happen once before, one nail (not the same one as now) lifting almost completely but still attached enough that it didn't come off completely, that I had to keep cut short (read stubby) and the remaining nail was ripply and dry to the point of flaking. I treated it with tea tree oil, for want of any valid suggestions from either my doctor or manicurist, and it lasted just over two years, then spontaneously reconnected and has been fine ever since. The current one is entering it's second year, so I'm still in hopes of a spontaneous recovery again.

My rheumy and dermatologist think it's some manifestation of Autoimmune Disease, but can't be more specific (I know, not helpful). My manicurist thought some injury to the matrix or nail bed, but that would probably have been permanent. Without knowing what it was, I sort of treated it non-specifically with the tea tree oil, no polish (really annoying since, after 30 years as a nurse with bare short nails I took delight in pretty nails!) and regular buffing to minimise the flaking and ridges and hoping to improve circulation , I guess.

I've found that, for short periods needed for dressy occasions, fake nails work, and if I can leave some length at all to the affected nail, I will sometimes shape it as best I can, use ridge filler to even out the surface, and apply polish (the new gel polishes that don't require LED setting work well), but only for an occasion and removed very quickly thereafter.

I"m sorry you, too, are stuck with this most annoying symptom and I hope you can get a resolution. Meanwhile, as my very wise grandmother once told me , "I guess what your hands do is a lot more important that how they look!" She had just turned 80 and was annoyed that her hands had the boney wrinkled look of old age, but she kept busy knitting and crocheting for her grandkids and charities.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

angeldancer

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »
My nails have been horrific for the past 20 years.  My dermatologist and rheumy said it was a fungus and treated it as such but I knew that it couldn't have been.  I had done every protocol possible and then one day one nail absolutely cleared up.  I told my primary doctor and she said it was the manifestation of AI conditions.  I must admit I was totally excited for this nail to clear up.  I still have one nail I want desperately to clear and maybe it will or maybe it will not.  I have learned that to just stay on top of pain.  By the way, I would have tried some other meds but the side effects are just not worth taking the chance especially since I do not want to battle cancer ever again.

Good luck
Peace and Blessings
Angel dancer
eagles flight//

Sjogrens, Arthritis, colonrectal cancer survivor, Diverticulosis, fibromyalgia, chronic sinus, chronic pain, kidney stones,  chronic allergies, digestive tract issues, norco, plaquenil, ativan, ambien, lyrica, claritan, neuron tin, celexa,predinisome,

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 04:46:29 PM »
Hi  :)

Get your thyroid levels checked. If my thyroid swings low - my nails start flaking horribly and I need more thyroxine. One of the major symptoms as well as increased brain fog and depression.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

snoweye

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »
Hi everyone,
I started having problems with my nails almost immediately when SS started.

On one of my big toes I developed a fungus and the nail starting falling off on the corner which has the fungal infection. On top of everything else, at the time I really felt so down and defeated. I mean, I couldn't even defeat a single celled organism that had decided to colonize my toenail!

Now there is only a very small trace left of the fungus and my nail has grown back normally. My strategy has been to soak my foot in a bowl with 50% water and 50% white vinegar. I also add a few drops of tea tree oil, however not sure if the tea tree oil does much because it mainly floats on top. I have been doing this at least once a day for the last year, sometimes up-to three times per day. Vinegar costs a fortune in the supermarkets, but at the end of this post I will explain how I buy vinegar cheaply in the UK.

Aside from actually killing the fungus on the nail, we have to ask ourselves, why is the fungus growing on the nail in the first place? Some of us may have weakened immune systems. Also I already read several years ago that nail fungal infections are often a symptom of a yeast infection in the digestive system. I am expecting a test result from an advanced stool test any day now, and will post the result here if there is any pathogenic yeast detected. I know that there was none before my SS symptoms and before any nail fungus appeared...

Vinegar is quite expensive in the supermarkets so I advise buying on Amazon in bulk.
This is the one I buy on Amazon UK amzn.to/2xxNa1D
If you live in London, or drive there now and then, another good place to buy is a Chinese supermarket called Wing Yip. They have one in North London near Brent Cross and one in South London in Croydon. You can always call up and check if they have any in stock. It is even cheaper than Amazon.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:29:38 AM by Linda196 »

snoweye

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
Further to my last post in this thread, my stool test has gone back negative for any kind of fungus.

However there were high levels of a bacteria called Citrobacter Freundii Complex which can be a potential autoimmune trigger. I will post about this in a separate thread soon with links to research.