Author Topic: Cervical Stenosis surgery  (Read 100 times)

Judie P

Cervical Stenosis surgery
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »
Hello.  I have not been on the forum for sometime.  My MRI showed multi-level arthritis in C5, C6 and C7, with Cervical Spinal Stenosis.  I am considering surgery.   If any of you have had this done, could you please give me your opinions on doing this surgery with primary Sjogren's.  I also have fibromyalgia.  Thanks. 
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Cervical Stenosis surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »
Ask for the doctors success rate before you commit to the surgery. I was told 20 years ago that the best success rate for a surgery in the neck is 15%. Surgeons consider a surgery a success if you remain the same or get better. That means that 85% of the time you get worse. That was with only one disk involvement. If you have more or it is an additional surgery the numbers drop significantly.

There was a show on the discovery channel that said the same a few years later.

Now I know that some surgery techniques have improved with the new micro surgeries. My friend John was supposed to have three to take care of his pain. After 10 he is now back to the pain levels before the first surgery which made them worse.

I was told that I had too much damage to consider surgery. I have had to learn to manage the pain. Good luck with your decision.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Judie P

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
Thank you, Joe S.  I am making this part of my list when I see my doc. 
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

rnathans

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
What are your symptoms and how bad are they. It is a major surgery and takes about 3 months to recover. In my case I was in severe pain, developed a dropped foot and could nearly walk. The surgery relieved all of that. I have bad stenosis, bulging discs and more at other levels. Eventually I may need another fusion at the next level, but only when the symptoms are bad enough to be worth going through it.

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:16:41 PM »
Not yet, but I'm having a consult with a neurosurgeon in early November to discuss. So far docs -- pain doc, nuerologist, and rhuematologist -- have said that surgery won't help.

My niece had surgery several years ago and it relieved her pain immediately. She has not had a recurrence, though has many other issues with arthritis.
Raynauds, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Reclast (once), Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Gabapentin,Valacyclovir, Evoxac, Nexium, acetaminophen, Tramadol.