Author Topic: Confusion and auto accidents  (Read 362 times)

vrystaat

Confusion and auto accidents
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »
Consistent with SS, I've had years of slow progression with bad memory, confusion, very forgetful and similar episodes. I've had CAT Scans and everything else by a Neurologist. It's definitely not Alzheimer's or senile memory loss. But it now influences most of my life. The worst thing is that I had a major automobile mistake, and will be heavily fined. Of course, I can't say this in court, because the judge could suspend my license. Has anyone else encountered these problems?
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog

finallyadx

Re: Confusion and auto accidents
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:33 AM »
So very sorry to hear this.  I have had days when I feel "foggy" or truly just not right.  On those days I try my best not to drive or drive very little. 

Hoping you can get to the bottom of this.  Have you had any tests like thyroid?  Also are you on any medications that could be making you confused? 
Primary ss dx 2013, plaquenil, vitamin d, iron supplements, vitamin b12, d-mannose for chronic UTI's, magnesium for heart palpatations and Zinc

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:49:20 AM »
Chronic pain can cause the symptoms that you describe. Chronic Pain can be caused by the challenges of living with Sjogren's.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

warmwaters

• Just keep swimming - Dora
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
I now rarely drive more than a half hour away, don't drive at night, and have many days when I will not drive. I have problems with focus, and "startle" easily - a loud noise or a vehicle appearing from a surprising location can make me look away. While GPS navigation has some definite upsides, I just listen to the voice part, and hide the screen of my phone so I'm not distracted.

I understand that you do not want lose your license, but please be careful for both your own sake, and the sake of others.   

I've always been a fan of public transport, and am now becoming familiar with Uber/Lyft style options. I intensely dislike the loss of  autonomy.
Primary Sjogrens, dx June 2009, Immunoglobulin deficiency, axial spondylosis arthritis, IBS, autonomic neuropathy
Omeprazone DR 40 mg, mobic 15 mg, Plaquenil, LDN, B1, B6, B12, D, fludrocortisone, gralise, various inhalers

trejonina

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »
Cytokines could be the culprit. Google : Is your mood suffering because your brain is inflamed? by William Cole. He recomends turmeric and green tea.

vrystaat

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:57:13 PM »
Thanks you guys. My Rheumatologist has asked me to try Provigil or Adderal every day. I do use Adderal from time to time, and it really is magic for about 6 hours. The problem is with the Federal Government and its new rules. Many MD's won't prescribe it. I've found a Neurologist who will help, but no more than 20 a month.
I'll report back.
Sjogrens;Polymyositis;Polyneuropathy;Gastritis;GERD, Autonomic Neuropathy, Neurological complications, gamma 3 globulin low;Multiple infections;Brain fog

Sooki

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »
I have started having cognitive challenges as well and am very careful not to do anything that might worsen them.  Recently, my doc suggested I try taking an antihistimine (xyrtec).   I took it for about a week and noticed it help quite a bit with facial swelling. But then I noticed a big jump in cognitive problems, unlike what I had previously experienced. I had a scary driving experience.  I read the potential side effects of xyrtec and drowsiness and dementia were listed.  So that's out forever - never want to be there again.  You might check any other medications you're taking and be wary of antihistamines for sure!

the cognitive decline is a hard one to take.  Be so careful driving.  Being on the road is the riskiest thing most of us will ever do in their lives.  I used to do risk assessments for hazardous waste removal.  And if we ever included driving on the road in the assessment, it greatly overshadowed any other kind of risk.  Be careful and know when to give it up to keep yourself and others safe. 

67 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, Sleep Apnea, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Levoxyl, Xiidra, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, HydroEye, Paleo AIP, fish oil

burntout77

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 03:42:07 AM »
Driving is what very much concerns me right now. I was having to drive my mother around quite frequently to all her doctor appointments and other activities, and found I was beginning to have problems with eyes and dizziness and motion really bad. I feel I have cognitive issues as well and have told family members and even a past doctor that I had, but nobody seemed to take it seriously. I began to tell them I feel very uncomfortable driving and the car doesn't seem to want to stay between the lines as the road curves. Hmmm! They still don't get it. A couple months back I finally decided it best to call on senior transportation for her, and for my appointments as well sometimes. I have to pay a little, but hers is free or a donation.

Another thing is when I went to a different doctor recently, he had it stated on the medications "No Driving for 6 Hours After Taking this Medication".  Well, since I have to take one of them 3 times a day, I guess I just can't drive at all. Or I could skip taking it in the morning and do all my running then and suffer a seizure, stroke, heart attack or serious meltdown of some kind because I didn't take it. And then while I am withdrawing for a short time I stand the chance of having an event while driving and endangering other drivers on the road and the ones in the car with me. This is all getting way too complicated for me with these medications, which quite a few make me drowsy, even the blood pressure pill which I can't take anymore due to severe abdominal cramps. Like I said earlier, I have cognitive issues as well and things are getting more and more difficult for me to try to figure out.

So, yes, the driving with cognitive issues is pretty scary alone, not to mention the medications that have to be taken at the same time. And I also have debilitating fatigue to battle with everyday to complicate things a wee bit more, MUCH more. I wish family could see the seriousness of all this. Unfortunately, they can't see the invisible diseases and they think I look okay and can function properly. I don't drive long distance anymore or at night. Just close here in town and even that may fizzle out soon.
Positive ANA 1:320  Sjogren's Syndrome, Trigeminal Neuralgia, debilitating chronic fatigue, Hydroxychloroquine, Pilocarpine, Prilosec, Tegretol, Systane Ultra eye drops, Lorazepam.

Deb 27

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »
Memory loss or cognitive issues surely cause us concern. I didn't see any of your medications listed. Check them carefully. I was prescribed klonipin .5  for sleep and after about a year, I realized it was causing my problems to be worse. I also started taking a multi vitamin and some iron b/c my ferritin was low.  So far, it is helping me.  Also, if I quit taking my antidepressant, I have some focus issues.   Don't give up, keep looking for a solution. 
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, multi vitamin.

vrystaat

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
I am very happy to report that Provigil, which I now take daily has dramatically improved my tendency to confusion.
I am now an excellent driver, better memory, better endurance (it lasts about 6-8 hours)  :D