Author Topic: cold and cortison  (Read 208 times)

bluegardenia

cold and cortison
« on: October 07, 2017, 02:46:39 PM »
hi everybody i have the most terrible cold. no fever but my nose is totally closed, my throat on fire , i can hardly breathe, cannot swallow etc, you know. drops in the nose do not have any effect, i washed it with saline solution that usually helps but nothing,i called a doctor, he said take cortison, anybody used cortison or other steroids for a bad cold? i have cortison with me but wheni used it it seemed to me that it could dry more my throat so im here, its midnight in italy and  ready for another night with no sleep.  amy suggestion?
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
Re: cold and cortison
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
Take it ...the cortisone.  It "decreases inflammation"...which is what you describe! It's al you have too!  :)
Good luck ..hope you feel better soon.
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

bluegardenia

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
thanks ccc, im still wondering because i really do not know what to do if this worsenes wioth cortison. vicks sinex did not have any effect in my nose.
60,primary sjs, diverticulosis,ibs,atrioventricular blocks 2 degree first type, acid reflux.
omeoprazole, vit c, flack seed, omega 3, b complex, nac,systane ultra, pineapple seeds

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »
Don't use 'vicks cause many people have allergic response to it. The odor can make a person have swelling in tissues. If I use it I get bronchial spasms and have trouble breathing. Good luck. Irish

bluegardenia

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 04:43:01 AM »
well i used vicks that did not help at all so i went back to some other drops without any effect. if i could i would have cried, a cold became a tragedy since sjogren. i felt so sick and  nobody in the house. i spent hours washing my nose and i had a little relief at list on one side and at 3 i took cortisone. it worked  so i could sleep some hours, not much but i was panicking.this morning everything is closed again. areosol with cortisone and other stuff dries.
 i think that drops are better than spray, antistaminics did not work for me and cortisone made his hard work or may be its all together. ill see today. thanks so much for your answers

Nomad

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 01:37:20 PM »
Ha! I just had a super bad cold. I broke my own personal prevention protocol and whammies, got hit hard. Iwas afraid it would turn into a sinus infection but it didn't. In fact, I never had to go on antibiotics.
I got nasal spray with cortisone in it
Bromfed (multi purpose cough medicine prescription/great)
3 Oil of Oregano a day
Extra rest and water.

Within a few days it was much better. I'm very pleased. I'm still a bit tired but feel like that was a close one. The Bromfed (RX) for me was wonderful!

I hope you feel better soon!
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

bluegardenia

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 07:17:15 AM »
my cold is still bad, may be this morning a little better  i need drops to open the nose every 4 hours and not evey hour.  i stay home because the smallest change in temperature makes me sneeze, cannot even open a window, in seconds i react. of course the ugly glue of mucous is there. if i take antistaminic it dries watery nose but it dries also mucous and if i take my usual dose of mucinex my nose becomes more watery. not much to do. i stopped cortisone because i feel dizzy. but all this disconfort just for a cold leads me to wonder to the future. everything will worsen with years passing?

bluegardenia

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »
im still home and cold is even worse,no, in fact its not the cold, the thick mucous. im home since six days,i cannot get rid of mucous, even with  extra mucinex, areosol, steam, and today my throat is burning but like when a cold starts... im used to bad colds, i dont catch them often but when it happend its bad, but this time the mucous problem has something  new. ok i know that its not something terrible, a part all the difficulties we all know but  mucous is thicker and im worried that this means that im getting worse. i do not feel changes in saliva and eyes though

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
I had forgotten all about using a facial sauna until I read this post. I have not been that plugged up to need mine.

Just buy a facial sauna and put distilled water in the little cup. When it starts to steam place your face in the proper place and inhale for several minutes and can use several time a day. I know from experience that the more you irrigate and spray and take oral meds the more congested one seems to feel, We can do overkill on some of these treatments, The mild heat and moisture of the facial sauna does seem to help. Irish

bluegardenia

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 05:22:59 PM »
thanks irish, im doing that and i hope that it will work.
as i told you my concern is that the consistence of mucous changed with time. its the first cold i have this year and mucous is much thicker than last time. i wonder if this means that things are worsening.
probably we do not die from sjogren but quality of life is bad. small problems become troubles

katie1111

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 04:39:34 AM »
Are you drinking a lot of fluids- that will help loosen the mucous.

Katie1111

bluegardenia

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 08:14:48 AM »
yes i do, thanks but i called the nose throat ears doctor and ill see him tomorrow morning; he has seen me already many times and he knows about sjogren. i must know if im doing the right things, or if i must go back to cortison which i do not like bec it makes me very nervous even at a minimal dosage

Nomad

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 10:42:44 AM »
I was fortunate that my cold did not worsen as is often the case.
But it is lingering somewhat.
I didn't realize that I wasn't drinking as much as usual and might even have been a little dehydrated. This may have caused a little regression.
I'm drinking more water again.
Hot tea, water , perhaps a little orange juice...someone else suggested liquids. I think it's a good idea.
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
The guaifesesin tablets that can usually be bought over the counter really helps thin the secretions. You can usually find this in over the counter thinners for coughs. Good luck. Irish

bluegardenia

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
 thanks irish