Author Topic: C6 root damage or small fibre neuropathy?  (Read 326 times)

MAT51

• Hashimoto's, SN RA, Primary Sjogren's, SFN
C6 root damage or small fibre neuropathy?
« on: September 27, 2017, 01:08:01 AM »
Hi Sjögren's friends. I now have a new-old symptom come blasting in from nowhere in the form of pins and needles and a single point in the outer side cevtre of my wrist which gets a strange stabbing pain. I also have an escalation of volume of tinnitus and numb tingle around my face. The rest of me has longstanding SFN with icy legs and feet and an a pain in my distal nail beds with splinter haemorrhages - so I'm used to sensory and autonomic issues but the pronounced numbish prickling in my arms and hands down to finger tips is new.

What I'm wondering is whether this is an SFN flare or whether the C6 root involvement observed by my previous neurologist 3 years ago from MRI of my neck might be responsible for this and the tinnitis perhaps? Ulnar nerve entrapment in both arms. Should I try and see my scary neurologist about this (next apt in April) or would this be a waste of time with bilateral pins and needles in my case? 
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: C6 root damage or small fibre neuropathy?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
See the neurologist, is my suggestion.

I have SFN, but I also had carpal tunnel in both wrists/hands.  The left hand was treated with simple surgery when I was having a 'trigger finger' released in that hand.

The tinnitus may be from nerve damage due to your Sjogren's, and the tingling around your face could be C6 OR SFN.  Mine is all SFN for which I take 3600 mg of Gabapentin daily.

I have total degeneration of C6-C7.  Constant pain, of which I automatically suppress awareness until I'm asked about my pain level (every time I see a doctor).  I've had the Nerve Conduction Study on my arms, and the C6-7 problem isn't causing nerve damage in my arms, interestingly enough since it is so severe.

We have to have tests and studies done, some times more than once, to determine the source our pain and suffering.

It is important to know if nerve compression is causing your problems, since the nerves can be permanently damaged.

Regards,  Elaine

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:05:55 AM by Carolina »
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Amitriptyline-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

MAT51

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
Thanks Elaine. I'm aware of your story and the medications you take - which I'm unable to tolerate. The trouble is that it's hard to differentiate between the various sensory symptoms as they are all equally debilitating. But as it's both arms and my nerve conduction studies have been fine so far (last one a year ago) - my main concern is that they don't just presume it's SFN progressing - although I'm guessing that it is. I don't have Carpal Tunnel but the area affected on each arm runs down from shoulders/ neck through my elbows into my pinky fingers. It's across the entire arms and hands but outer ulnar side much more.
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

MAT51

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 12:16:59 AM »
Ps I forgot to say that I've managed to expedite my annual April neurology appointment to November and will have a phone consult with my GP on Tuesday to ask her if it seems urgent enough to expedite it again or refer me for an urgent MRI of my neck to follow up on the one three years ago. It doesn't feel burning or cold in the same way as the SFN usually does - it really is pins and needles but right down from neck to fingertips of both hands with increase in facial numbness and eye dryness. Could be a flare triggered by the central heating and fires at night perhaps as autumn weather prevails here in Scotland now.

See the neurologist, is my suggestion.

I have SFN, but I also had carpal tunnel in both wrists/hands.  The left hand was treated with simple surgery when I was having a 'trigger finger' released in that hand.

The tinnitus may be from nerve damage due to your Sjogren's, and the tingling around your face could be C6 OR SFN.  Mine is all SFN for which I take 3600 mg of Gabapentin daily.

I have total degeneration of C6-C7.  Constant pain, of which I automatically suppress awareness of until I'm asked about my pain level (every time I see a doctor).  I've had the Nerve Conduction Study on my arms, and the C6-7 problem isn't causing nerve damage in my arms, interestingly enough since it is so severe.

We have to have tests and studies done, some times more than once, to determine the source our pain and suffering.

It is important to know if nerve compression is causing your problems, since the nerves can be permanently damaged.

Regards,  Elaine

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 06:07:50 AM »
You're right, MAT, almost anything can happen with a FLARE.

Regards, Elaine
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Amitriptyline-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

Judie P

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
Hi.  I just had an MRI to discover that I have multi level arthritis with cervical stenosis in C5, C6 and C7.  Lot of degeneration.  I have had painful muscles in my shoulders, etc., for years now, but nothing like what happened two weeks ago.  I went to ER.  Needless to say, as soon as I started calming down from stressful situations in my life, the pain was much eleviated.  Back at work and stressing, it all comes back.  I do think that Sjogren's has an affect and makes things worse.  I am sure I was in a flare two weeks ago.

Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

MAT51

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
I know what you mean about stress and flare ups and vicious circles we find ourselves on. Hope your flare has eased and inflammation settles down.