Author Topic: Bowen's disease  (Read 311 times)

araminta

Bowen's disease
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:39:06 AM »
Have just come back from my GP where I showed him a red scaly itchy patch on my lower left leg.   He referred me to a dermatologist and thought it might possibly be Bowen's disease (a precancerous condition).   Looking online I see this can be a problem for, among others, people with suppressed immune system, but I was wondering if autoimmunity might play any part in such skin conditions?   Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Dry eyes (MGD),dry nose, dry mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin, mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative and no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Bowen's disease
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
People with autoimmune disease are high risk for immune deficiencies and allergy issues.
all these issues are in the same family and that is what Immunologists treat.

You might end up having blood work done to check for immune issues. I ended up getting diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis, Hashimotos and severely low t-cells and IgG levels at the same time. I had no clue. I had a lot of infections(and some bad ones) but no other doctor ever checked me for immune issues.

I advocate  for autoimmune patients being tested for immune issues as it occurs more than one would realie. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Irish

araminta

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:46:39 AM »
That's interesting, Irish, thank you.

You might think having an over-keen immune system could be helpful in some way, but apparently not!
Dry eyes (MGD),dry nose, dry mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin, mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative and no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »
The autoimmune and immune are 2 different things that occur. Immune produces cells to fight off infection. The autoimmune are some of these same cells over-reacting and attacking our body, tissues, organs, etc. as though they were a bacteria or disease.

When we have immune deficiency we have certain cells that are not produced in the amount needed to fight off infection.
When we have autoimmune disease the antibodies are produced in overabundance to specific things like our kidneys, tissues, etc. Our body is trying to kill us off by mistake. I am trying to say it simply and hopefully not confuse anyone. Well, check, I am always confused. lol Good luck. Irish

araminta

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:16:41 AM »
Thank you very much for the explanation, Irish. :)   

araminta

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:58:39 AM »
Just an update- saw dermatologist today, he thought the problem was probably actinic keratosis.   He froze a couple of bits, and gave me a cream to use on the bigger patch for a few weeks.   He said my skin was extremely dry (what a surprise) and gave me some moisturising cream which contains paraffin and which has all sorts of dire warnings about not smoking, not going near anyone who smokes, washing clothes and bed sheets every day etc., as the paraffin can seep into things and is highly flammable!  Not very reassuring! :o

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:46:07 AM »
Hi araminta,

I have a serious Immune Deficiency AND my Deficient Immune system ALSO attacks my organs and systems the way autoantibodies do, but using a different mechanism (probably cytokines).

So all of my life I have had conditions develop that 'seemed liked' autoimmune conditions' except I didn't have autoantibodies.  That is because my Deficient Wayward Immune System was attacking me and causing the conditions.

Now I have IVIG every four weeks and I don't get sick because of the Deficiency any more...but I still have many unpleasant and demanding conditions caused by my Immune System.

The WORST of both worlds.  But at least by the time I was 71 I found out WHY things were so difficult for me.  And I do get treatment for part of the problem.

Regards,  Elaine
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Amitriptyline-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

araminta

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 02:14:12 AM »
Thank you for that info, Elaine.   Yes I kind of half want certainty about all this and half dread it!   I'm so glad you are getting good help now.