Author Topic: going blind  (Read 363 times)

Kadiddle

going blind
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:38:24 PM »
My daughter asked me the other day "Mom, can you go blind with Sjogren's?" I didn't have an answer for her. I can't find any information on it, but I'm curious now too. My vision keeps changing and I feel it's pointless to change my prescription lenses because it changes all the time. Anyone know if it is possible to go blind with this?
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: going blind
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:08:36 AM »
I do not have a great answer for you. I do not believe that you can go blind from Sjogrens, BUT you can from plaquinel. On my first dose I went blind for about 6 hours. When it cleared my system I was able to see again.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:32:58 AM »
Sjogren's per se does not cause blindness, but complications from Sjogren's can affect vision.

Dry eyes can cause corneal abrasions if we do not take appropriate action to remedy the dry eyes. Corneal abrasions can affect vision.

Some people with Sjogren's get corneal melt (peripheral ulcerative keratitis) which actually can cause blindness if not treated immediately and appropriately.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

Kadiddle

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »
Joe and Jasper, thanks for the replies. Joe, so sorry you experienced that with the Plaquenil. It has done wonders for me with regards to the fatigue, and skin issues. And I get my eyes checked frequently. I am hoping it won't affect my eyes Jasper, good to know. I had never heard of the peripheral keratitis. A little scary, but I see the eye doctor frequently, thank goodness.
Good things to know. Thanks.
Primary Sjogren's, Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy dxed 1994, Dry eyes with corneal erosions and ulcers, dry mouth, chronic constipation,
Meds/Supps: Meloxicam, Restasis, Evoxac, Omega 3 with Flaxseed Oil,  Multi-vitamins, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Probiotics

LucyD

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:37:59 PM »
I don't think Sjogren's can cause us to go blind, but I think the dry eyes can cause some bad problems with our corneas. I have to get my retinas checked every six months because I am on Plaquenil. I know it can damage retinas and in that way harm vision, but I think that is rare on the standard dose.
Please forgive me for changing the subject somewhat, but I seem to have lost the ability to start a new topic/post. Related to the eyes and worrying about vision: does anyone notice their eyes twitching non-stop for weeks when their eyes are more dry? My right eye has been twitching almost non-stop for three weeks now, and I do not know what is causing it. Sometimes it feels like there is a hair or something in my eye and other times it just twitches a lot. Thank you.
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

Fortitude

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:33:21 AM »
Hi Lucy:  I too have twitchy eyes but not as long as three weeks (sorry that is happening to you) and always after I sneeze.  I think and my neurologist agrees that it is a neuropathy problem.  I also see bright fluttery sparkles (I don't know how else to put it) in bright light, but only from time to time, not constantly.  A lot of us Sjogies have damaged nerves from Sjogren's.  I hope your twitching goes away soon.