Author Topic: Acute Sinusitis  (Read 98 times)

vrystaat

Acute Sinusitis
« on: August 12, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
I have Sjögrens syndrome, and my current problem is acute sinusitis. It recurs every month and sometimes every 2 weeks. Typical symptoms with sinus pain, headaches, and generally feeling ill.
For all of these I try a Mupirocin inhaler or nasal flushing. This cures it often. I have also been treated in the past with Tobramycin flushing. Despite this I still get intermittent sinusitis. I think it has to do with the dry nasal cavity of a poor immune repose. I have a proven Gamma 3 deficiency. Has anyone experienced this? It really alters my overall health.

SunshineDaydream

Re: Acute Sinusitis
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
Sinusitis is awful. Sorry to hear you have been experiencing it.  me feel like the elephant man when I've had bad sinus problems. My head just feels so big and my face is in pain.

I have been able to avoid sinus problems by keeping moist with xlear nasal spray when I feel pain coming on, and using Vicks personal steam inhaler before bedtime and as otherwise needed, a vaporizer while sleeping, and Arm & Hammer saline spray upon waking throughout the night and morning. I've also stopped using antihistamines for allergies as well as any other medication with drying side effect.

I hope you find some preventive treatment and remedies that work for you.
Sjogren's, lupus and osteopenia
Rx: Evoxac and Restasis 
Vitamins and Supplements: A, B complex, C, D3, E, calcium orotate, magnesium glycinate, D-Mannose, curcumin, fish oil, probiotic

Nomad

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »
I'm so sorry. They are AWFUL!  Are you in the states?
One year I got like seven sinus infections.
I changed my routine (s) and knock on wood, was able to stop them.
Now, I get perhaps one a year at MOST!

Everyone is different and what works for one person, might not work for another. But, honestly, it has made a HUGE difference for me and several people I know.
1. I wash my hands very often throughout the day.
2. I wash my hands prior to eating always.
3. I wash my hands after being in a public place/using something public like a shopping cart.
4. I wash my hands after being near a sick person.
5. I take oil of oregano capsules often. Let me explain.  If any of the following things occur, I take an Oil of Oregano Capsule:
 a.  I wake up with any type of cold symptom...even if it is subtle.
 b. I'm going to be around children.
 c. I'm going to fly in an airplane.
 d. I'm around a sick person.
6. I started taking several vitamins daily, including extra vitamin C daily. I think the extra vitamin C daily might help prevent colds/sinus/upper respitory issues.
This one I'm not sure if it helps, but I think it might >7. If I have a stuffy nose, I use a nasal spray called "Zicam."

I am absolutely positive that for me, washing my hands very often and using Oil of Oregano capsules GREATLY reduced how often I get sinus infections. For me, it is a wonderful preventative.
I think extra vitamin C and the Zicam nasal spray helps a little too.

Google "sinus infections and oil of oregano"  Some people even use it to treat minor infections. I just use it as a preventative. If I do get sick, I use an antibiotic and hot compresses.

HOpe you feel better soon!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:08:33 PM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »
Hello,

I seem to have chronic sinusitis and it has been made so much worse with Sjogrens!  Also, I had a horrible sinus surgery which was an absolute disaster!  I'll never be right again.😡

I am helped by doing saline nasal rinses twice per day and if really dry - I will sometimes do it a third time.  I take NAC twice per day and use a vaporizer wherever I can.  I take Evoxac three times daily.  I also use oil of oregano drops if I feel something coming on.

I have a really great ENT at the U of Iowa but I wish I had gone to him to begin with!  He would have never ruined my sinuses!  Unfortunately, what was done to me cannot be undone.

I have sinus pressure and headaches daily.  I feel for you, but there are things you can do to improve the situation.  Ibuprophen is my go to drug for inflammation and sinus headaches.

I also take a 12 hour mucous thinner - guaffenisin.  Might have the spelling wrong.  Also I will sometimes coat the inside of my nose using a clean Q-tip and Aquaphor ointment.  I swear my sinuses get so dry that they feel like cardboard!

Hang in there.

Kathy

Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer