Author Topic: LDN Low Dose Naltrexone  (Read 309 times)

SjoDry

• "When you are battling with a gorilla, you don't g
    • Sjodry and Parched
LDN Low Dose Naltrexone
« on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »
Hi Sjoggie-Mates,

I can't remember who asked about Naltrexone, but I know some of you may be taking it or interested in taking it.
I found a great site which gives both a patient's perspective and physician's interviews treating patients with LDN.

The site, if interested is: www.LDNscience.org

The interviews are under the resources tab.

Have a great weekend.
SjoDry
Sjodry
http://sjodry.wordpress.com/

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;

LucyD

Re: LDN Low Dose Naltrexone
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »
Hi SjoDry,

I just finished reading "The LDN Book." (Bought on Amazon) It goes into the clinical studies and science of how the brief blocking (only about 4 hours) of opiate receptors in our body caused by the LDN causes our bodies to produce more natural endogenous (produced in our bodies) endorphins/opiates and how those additional endorphins seem to be low in those of us with autoimmune disease and how those endorphins have multiple positive effects, boosting the parts of our immune system that need to be boosted, and turning down the inflammatory parts of our immune system. It also discusses the theory that those of us with autoimmune disease actually have deficient immune systems and that we therefore over-produce the inflammatory cytokines. Interesting concept but not sure what to think at this point.

I just got a prescription from my doctor for 1.5 mg of LDN. I hope it helps. Will keep you posted.

LucyD
Dxs: Sjogren's - seronegative, UCTD, soft tissue joint pain, Hypothyroidism
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

SjoDry

• Sjodry and Parched
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »
LucyD,

I get my Rx on Monday. I have high hopes.
I too, will keep you posted.

Take care.
SjoDry
Sjodry

Female 55 y/o; SJS Primary; CVID; Autonomic Neuropathy: Chronic Digestive/G.I. issues; Leukopenia;Tachycardia; Bronchiectasis; High Blood Pres; R.A.;Chronic Pain; Sub~Q IVIG infusions~Hizentra; Plaquenil; Restasis; Gapapentin; Breathing/nebulizer meds; Pain meds;

LucyD

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:35:53 PM »
SjoDry,
Postive thoughts and prayers for both of us - well actually for ALL of us here.
BTW, what dose are you starting on?
Take care.
LucyD
Medications: Plaquenil 400 mg/day, Restasis, Synthroid, Cytomel, Celexa, Deplin (L-methylfolate) (for MTHFR genetic defect)

LucyD

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »
SjoDry, I just checked out the link you put in your original post. Excellent information. Thanks much!!
Here is another good one:  .ldnresearchtrust.org/

Also forgot to mention -- I am waiting until sometime next week to start the LDN. I am starting at 1.5 mg. Am waiting because my stomach is still recovering from being on an antiviral (Famvir) for a week. I could not tolerate it. My integrative medicine doctor put me on it because my antibody tests for Epstein Barr Virus (the one that causes mononucleosis) were about 8 times higher than the high normal cut off and the combination of antibodies indicated the virus was reactivating. He thinks that could be the cause of a lot of my autoimmune issues. I think that is interesting because maybe the LDN will help my immune system put the EBV into remission. But I can't take the antivirals - they have all messed up my stomach badly. Also, am going to the beach with my daughter this weekend, and I know it will be hard to eat correctly all the time.

Thanks again - and good luck. I hope others look into this and that is helps many of us. The good thing is that it has few, if any, side effects.

LucyD
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:39:15 AM by Linda196 »

SjoDry

• Sjodry and Parched
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 04:08:20 AM »
Lucy,

Unsure of dosage..I have told my doc 1.5 Rx would be good so I can titrate up or down as needed.

Yes, I had already found the LDNresearchtrust and some others. I also read a good book by Dr. Berk  Berkson on Alpha Lipoic Acid (something he always pairs with the Rx of LDN). He does say that B complex should always be given when taking the Alpha Lipoic Acid because it can deplete the B complex.

I have been withdrawing from opiates after years of use so that I can start the LDN. No fun for sure.

Have a great day!
SjoDry
Sjodry

LucyD

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 05:11:43 AM »
SjoDry,
Thanks for the information about alpha lipoic acid. I take that and a methylated form of multi-B vitamins called B-Right (by Jarrow).
Oh you poor baby, I understand withdrawing from opiates is not fun. Kudos to you for doing that in order to take the LDN. I am on a low dose of Klonopin to sleep and help with bad anxiety, and although it is not an opiate I want to get off of it.
Good luck!
Lucy