Author Topic: Pancreatitis anyone?  (Read 212 times)

gurs

Pancreatitis anyone?
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:54:40 AM »
Was wondering for those of you who ever had pancreatits, can I ask what labs and other testing they did to diagnose this?

A few months ago, I began a horrible SS/Lupus flare that Im still in. My stomach changed a bit and was having alot of pain more on my left side and center, and more diarreah I started losing weight very easily and just felt horrible. Chalked it up to flare and my gastroparesis. I finally saw my GI docs PA, who said its my gastroparesis causing all this. I just had a CT scan done of my abdomen and pelvis it showed nothing? I was only able to have the oral Barium contrast. Yesterday I ended up in the ER because my head was hurting and I just felt super sick. I still have my same stomach issues, which I didnt even mention to him. Anyways, he ran some labs and my Lipase was elevated? got me thinking about the pancreas thing. I havent had my Amylase tested and wondering if this might help. My WBC was higher for me than norm at 8..usually its at 5. Ive been having chills as well.

Im going to contact my Rheumy and GI doc again. Makes sense. Flare might be causing the pancreas to be inflammed or something?

thanks

thanks
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

MAT51

• Hashimoto's, SN RA, Primary Sjogren's, SFN
Re: Pancreatitis anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
Hi Gurs, I was going to ask something similar when I spotted your post. My Amylase was normal about 10 days ago so my pain was chalked up to a probable UTI and I was given antibiotics. This is very familiar to me though and I think it could be autoimmune pancreatitis perhaps - as a rare complication of Sjögren's? I don't know if this milder type of pancreatitis would show up in an Amylase test necessarily though?

My pain is mostly on my left side in my back and left flank right the way down my side into my thigh. It's a dull ache rather than excruciating - and I do have chronic bowel dysmotility too so it could be that Cellcept is exacerbating this at the higher dose. In my case I think it is drug induced because I had same thing more extremely with Imuran. Now I'm recently raised to the highest dose Cellcept and having similar symptoms as I had with Imuran, including total wipe out fatigue and chills with weightloss and loss of appetite. The pain seems to to radiate into the area below my left rib and under my shoulder blade and is pretty consistent. But it  worsens if I eat anything. It stopped when I stopped taking Cellcept for a week but now I'm back on it and same pain has returned after a few days. I see my rheum in 2 weeks so will report this if I can wait that long!

Does this sound at all similar to yours or am I describing something different?
Hashimoto's, seronegative RA, Primary Sjogren's, small fibre nld polyneuropathy, hypertension, IBS-C, GORD, BMS, highly allergic disposition!

Fortitude

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 06:59:49 AM »
Gurs, I was having very similar issues with pain, elevated white blood cells, vomiting, loss of appetite and weight loss.  I had an endoscopy and the results showed I had a large peptic ulcer.  I wonder if that could be what is happening to you? 

quietdynamics

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »

gurs.. forum member Cassi307 had a very long and hard time with pancreatitis, with ER, etc. Perhaps you can reach out to her.
I hope find some relief and answers.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

gurs

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »
I know I have a hiatial hernia, so that could be part of the problem too?. I actually think it may be a pancreatic duct issue. It feels like something is blocked in there? I left message for my rheumy, will see what she says then follow up with my GI doc and insist on more, or different testing just to make sure. Could also be just flaring up a storm. Wish we all didnt have stomachs and our food/waste would just magically disappear!!!

thanks for all the responses.
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »
Could also be a gallbladder issue. Irish

vrystaat

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 06:10:05 PM »
I was diagnosed with this about 10 years ago. Unfortunately I was mis-diagnosed (because it's so rare). Pancreatitis usually has severe pain, as I did. If the pain radiates to your back, diagnosis is more likely. Later it was called Autoimmune pancreatitis.  It was diagnosed by biopsies at an academic center. Another quirk was that I later also had gallstones. I now have chronic pancreatis, with some pain. It resulted in malabsorbtion and I need to take enzymes with every meal. But one should not get into the habit of feeling sorry for yourself.

anita

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 07:27:07 PM »
I have had pancreatitis four times over the years.  It was always diagnosed with BOTH lipase and amylase elevation.  I don't know if one is Dx with just one being elevated.  My pain was always textbook...center of stomach radiating directly to the back.

Treatment is typically inpatient admission and NPO for at least 3-5 days.  This is with full blown pancreatitis.  Mild cases might be treated differently, like with clear liquids for a few days.  But pancreatitis is very serious and any sign of full blown condition is usually treated inpatient.

I would suggest you get both enzymes tested if you still have symptoms.

52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

gurs

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 04:20:31 AM »
Had my gallbladder removed 25 years ago....waiting to have both enzymes checked again. Might just be from flaring. I have some back pain, but I have pain all over all the time so Its hard to tell the difference between the two. It could be so many things. Will have to get more GI testing etc (ughhhh) Ive been taking enzymes for years and they help digest my food for sure.