Author Topic: Pneumonia & shingles immunizations  (Read 458 times)

Way2dry

Pneumonia & shingles immunizations
« on: August 04, 2017, 06:03:43 AM »
Has anyone had the pneumonia or shingles vaccinations? Did you have any bad reactions?

I'm reluctant to have either because of my Sjogren's.  I was told the pneumonia shot was ok because they use a dead virus.  Since the shingles one uses a live virus, it could cause problems.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:28:10 AM by Way2dry »
Primary Sjogren's dx'd 2013 on symptoms. Blood tests neg. Breast cancer 2013. Dry everything. Tinnitus, GERD,Tamoxifen, vit d, Restasis & Evoxac stopped working, COQ10, fish oil

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Pneumonia & shingles immunizations
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 07:31:50 AM »
I have had both with no bad side effects.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »

Hi.

I have had the shingles vaccine 5 years ago with no trouble. My ophthalmologist
and family dr. wanted me to have it. I had chicken pox as a child.

I have not had the pneumonia vac. yet and I do not get the flu vac.
either......my immune system is just fine, I have no lungs issues,
so by my own choice I have declined them. Probably by age 65 I may
start those.

shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Navigator

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
I have had neither. I do get the flu vaccine.  My doctor doesn?t want me getting the shingles virus as it uses a live virus.  I am 64 and perhaps in the future the risk/reward ratio will be different but for now it is just the flu shot.
Hashimotos thyroiditis, Primary SJS, IBS, autoimmune hearing loss, leucopenia, arthritis,asthma.
Synthroid, Plaquenil, Crestor, Evoxac,Vit D , Fish Oil, Restasis, Daily Walking, Sleep, Baby aspirin, Probiotic, avoid gluten,dairy and sugar, hearing aide, gratitude, big dog

Kathy57

• Primum non nocere - "First do no Harm"
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »
Hi,

I take a flu shot every year, and I did get the Pneumonia vaccine without any problems, whatsoever.

I have not received the Shingles vaccine, but I have had the Chicken Pox as a child.

Kathy
Diagnosed Sjogrens Aug. 1st 2014.  Plaqinil, Evoxac, Prevacid, Lexapro, Hypothyroid, Esophagel Reflux, Gastritis, Barretts Esophagus, failed sinus surgery with 3 nasal septal perforations.  (Can't see it from the outside)  Asthma, albuterol, Dulera, Nebulizer

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »
I had the Shingles vaccine and had zero problems with it.

I had BOTH Pneumonia vaccines. There are two of them (PCV13 and PPSV23) and you should have both of them. However, you need to space them by a few months. Your PCP should know about the spacing. I had zero problems with both vaccines.

"According to the ACIP recommendations published in September 2014, both pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13, Prevnar 13, Pfizer) and pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23, Pneumovax, Merck) should be administered routinely in a series to all adults age 65 years and older. The two vaccines should not be given at the same visit."

http://www.immunize.org/askexperts/experts_pneumococcal_vaccines.asp
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »
I get the pneumonia vaccines per immunologist permission. He does not like his autoimmune patients to get the shingles vaccine because it is live. Also, the prevention rate of the shingles vaccine is not as high as I thought it was so I would not consider getting it anyway. There are quite a few people who get the shingles in spite of the vaccine. Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 03:55:02 AM »
@ Irish, that's something no one mentions when they are trying to push the vaccine, it really doesn't have a very good track record, according to a study at an independent facility in Halifax, Canada. Even according to the manufacturer itself
The vaccine cuts the risk of illness by half for those in their 60s. Between the ages of 70 to 79, the effectiveness falls to 41 per cent. For those 80 years and older, the effectiveness is less than 20 per cent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/shingles-vaccine-effectiveness-varies-with-age-1.1393815

Personally, I have the pneumonia vaccine every 5 years, alternating versions, the flu vaccine yearly, and no Shingles vaccine, all suggested by all of my doctors, and backed by my own research.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

katie1111

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 04:28:21 AM »
I have had both the pneumonia vaccine and the shingles vaccine with no side effects.  I did get shingles, but it was a very mild case - no severe pain and lasted only about a week.

Katie1111

Way2dry

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.  Since I turned 65, it seems like they keep pushing me to get these immunizations.  With other issues popping up & decisions to make, it all gets a little overwhelming.

Linda196 & Irish - I agree with you about the shingles vaccine. I have read too that it is not as effective as I had thought.  I've already had shingles once, when I was healthy, and I don't want to risk a live virus with a crazy immune system when the benefit is not that great.
Primary Sjogren's dx'd 2013 on symptoms. Blood tests neg. Breast cancer 2013. Dry everything. Tinnitus, GERD,Tamoxifen, vit d, Restasis & Evoxac stopped working, COQ10, fish oil

Jasper

• P SJS; SFN; Sensory Polyneuropathy/Ganglionopathy
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »
The current Shingles vaccine does cut the risk about in half for those in their 60s. It also lessens the severity of the outbreak if a person does get Shingles.

There is a new Shingles vaccine which should be on the market soon. It is effective about 95% of the time, so it is a much better vaccine in terms of effectiveness. I hope to get the new vaccine when it comes on the market but I would have to go off Rituximab in order to receive it so I don't know if I will end up getting the new vaccine or not. I don't want to go off Rituximab.

I have had Shingles 4 times, always when I have been on immune suppressants. (Prrednisone, Cellcept, Rituximab)

The first time I had Shingles was the worst. This was before I had the vaccine. The next three times were very mild, after I had had the vaccine.

My fear is post herpetic neuralgia and that is why I got the Shingles vaccine. I wanted to cut the risk for post herpetic neuralgia as low as I could cut it.

My Rheumatologist wanted to be sure I had the vaccine before I went on any immune suppressants, but I had already had the vaccine by then.

Anyone who has Primary Immune Deficiency or Common Variable Immune Deficiency or any of the immune deficiencies should not receive the vaccine because their immune systems are depressed.

Those of us who do not have immune deficiencies are okay to receive the vaccine.

Those of us on immune suppressants cannot get the vaccine while on immune suppressants. We would have to go off the immune suppressants for a while in order to get the vaccine.

Of course, it's still an individual decision depending on which risks we feel are the most important to each of us. For me, the risk of post herpetic neuralgia loomed large. I have known a few people who had it/have it and I surely never, ever want to get it. It is extremely painful.
ANA 1:160; SS-A+; MSG +; Plaquenil, Rituxan infusions, Restasis, HRT, Curcumin, Calcium, CoQ10, NAC, Resveratrol, Whole Omega, Omega 3, R Lipoic Acid, Acetyl L Carnitine, Krill Oil, Mag. Threonate, Bio-Collagen UC II, NAD+, & Vit A, B, C, D, E, K 1 & 2.

Nomad

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
Can be a very controversial topic.
I think many doctors would agree that a live vaccine is likely not a good idea for people with an established autoimmune illness.
 I think the shingles vaccine might be a live vaccine.

Right now, I'm not taking the flu shot or the pneumonia shot. I might change my mind down the road.
If I worked in a hospital or around children daily, I might be slightly more inclined to take them.

Of note, most of my docs say it is ok to take the flu and/or pneumonia shots.

One doctor thinks it would NOT be.

It might not be ideal, but as best as I can, I practice use preventative therapy...avoid sick people, take lots of vitamin C, take Oregano Oil often, wash my hands a LOT, even wash my clothes , take a shower and take oregano oil if I accidentally get exposed to a sick person.

OF NOTE: I can also tell you that at an ITP convention last summer (auto immune low platelets) there were several people there who very much seem to get ITP (low platelets) after the flu shot.
AND the pharmaceutical company paid out almost immediately. It was NOT a huge law suit type of situation at all. They were fine, got the shot, their platelets dropped drastically, they've had great trouble getting  their platelets back up, they got a dx of ITP (or immune thrombocytopenia) and approached the pharmceutical company that made the shot and with minimum fanfare got a payout.  Most, if not all of these people, seem to be stuck wit ITP (low platelets) for life.  It is food for thought.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:41:12 PM by Nomad »
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 08:10:59 PM »
If a person has had shingles I would think it would be the same as having a shingles vaccine as it is a load of live virus in the system. Many people do get shingles again more than once and it does make sense that each time the outbreak could be less.

Of interest is my son who got inoculated with shingles by my father in law when he thought he just had a rash. My son was about 2 years old and was feverish and not feeling well then for about a month and then broke out in the worst case of chicken pox. We were lucky he didn't die. Chicken pox is caused by the same bug as the shingles.

Then when my son was about 8 years old he developed this rash which I didn't see for a day or two and it was shingles with the typical around the chest blistering rash. Taken to the doc and a cream given to apply. Thankfully he didn't have much pain.

This is the same son who had the mumps vaccine and got a horrendous case of the mumps and could only drink for about 5 days. He is being watched for autoimmune diseases now in his 40's due to the family history that affects all my kids. Irish

gurs

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 04:30:38 AM »
Personally, I would never take the risk on any vaccine, no matter what the doc's tell me. I know how my body reacts to most things, so a big not willing to risk it. I had shingles in my 20's, and then again a bad case two years ago. I make sure to take lysine everyday and try to keep my immune system up if I can.

52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements