Author Topic: Intertrigo anyone?  (Read 427 times)

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Intertrigo anyone?
« on: July 19, 2017, 07:57:35 AM »
Dear Sjogren's Angels,

Ok, here's an icky topic, to say the least.

I found I have Intertrigo again, after the first 'experience' about 4 years.

From WebMD:

Intertrigo is a fancy name for a rash that shows up between the folds of skin. It is a very common skin rash that can crop up throughout life.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/intertrigo-symptoms-causes-treatment-risk_factors_#1

I have it again because I have gained 30 pounds over the past two years, and have 'folds in my skin' in the abdominal area.

I am treating it (again) with an anti-fungal cream (RX) prescribed for a fungus on my big toes which I had 6 years ago.

I also have Thrush on my tongue.  It got better when I used a Thrush medication, but returned soon after the RX was gone.  Thrush is also a fungus.  I think I get it because my mouth is even drier these days.

Intertrigo is:

1.  Icky
2.  Scary but not dangerous.
3.  Embarrassing, even humiliating.

At least this time I thought to check for it before it had gotten as 'bad' as it was the first time.

This surely falls under the category of 'it's always something'.

If you have suffered Intertrigo your comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Achalasia-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Fis

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Intertrigo anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »
I see right now it is pouring for you. I am sorry to hear that. I never new what it was called I just treated it with anti-fungal. My learning point for today. If I can remember it. I hope it clears up soon for you.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
Carolyn, I tried to answer you twice on my laptop and lost the info both times. That laptop will be the death of me.

Anyway, The best thing in the world to use with fungus on the skin is mens shaving cream as in the Colgate or Barbasol in the spray cans. It is also very cheap fix.

Just wash the areas with this shaving cream and rinse. If you have really bad areas in a skin fold just place folded mens hankies in the folds or else washed flannel pieces work very well also. We used this at one of the facilities I nursed at and it is absolutely good. Under the breasts with the shaving cream wash, anti fungal cream and and cloths and in a couple of days things are so much better.

One thing that it really works well for is the palm of a persons hand when it gets yeast from constantly clenching the fist as stroke patients are known to do. My director of nursing found this idea way back in the pages of a nursing journal and it never was used much, I think. I have told so many nurses and doctors about this and it blows their minds how simple and cheap the treatment is. I use this when I shower and I also put it on my feet and let it sit a few minutes and rinse. It disinfects and softens at the same time. If a person has smelly feet this is really handy also.

Hope you can find this a workable solution. Good luck. Irish
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:45:26 PM by irish »

Carolina

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:58:36 AM »
Dearest Irish!  OMG you do know so much.  Thank Goodness.

Regards, Elaine
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Achalasia-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Fis

Deb 27

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:18:50 AM »
I've been recently battling this too Caroline. Yep, just another annoying thing.  I live in the south and it's hot. I have never heard of shaving cream for it though!! Very cool Irish!!!!

I finally went to the doc and got prescription  anti fungal cream after using the OTC sprays not working as well as I had hoped. Mine got really bad before I was aware of it.

If it's not one thing, it's another. But, like you said, this is annoying.....

Feel better!! This too shall pass.....
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
This simple, inexpensive treatment for skin fungal/yeast infections has got to be the best kept secret in the Western world. I find it hard to believe that doctors haven't even heard of it.

It is so soothing and after treating the open irritated areas with this wash plus the creams using the shaving cream when bathing is often the only treatment needed to prevent further episodes. Hope it works well for people. Irish

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 03:23:03 AM »
We have used Barbasol since my student nursing days, very effectively, but I must say in later years, some of the younger nurses would look at us as if we were in our dotage and I'm sure they were thinking the Alzheimer's had set in an we had forgotten which areas we were supposed to shave!

While standard practice in the old three year hospital based nursing programs, I don't think it ever came up in the university programs LOL
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »
I totally get you, Linda. The Barbasol isn't high tech enough for them. Irish

Nomad

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »
Oh my goodness!

First of all...so sorry Caroline! So much on your plate.

Re shaving cream

We have a relative that is overweight and has perhaps minor mental deficits. She has bad foot odor. If she washed her feet with shaving cream , might it significantly help stop the odor ?
SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

quietdynamics

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:16:19 PM »

Great easy, who would of thought solution Irish.. love it!
Thank you Irish.. just shared this with my 24yr. old daughter.
I was using shaving cream to get crayon off wall ... the one and only time she did that.. as she needed to remove it.. no me.

We used shaving cream in the class room for young and special needs children. I saw how clean the desks/ tabletops were afterwards.  ;)
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

A Mom on Spin

• Amazon.com/author/lizwilkey
    • She's Come Undun
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »
I had a horrible case of this after My septic shock - too many areas too wet and sweat-drenched for too long. If I had only known there was such an easy fix!
www.amomonspin.com https://www.amazon.com/author/lizwilkey
Primary SJS. RA & lupus. Positive ANA, SSA, anti-phospholipid Antibodies. Large and small fiber peripheral neuropathy

Carolina

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »
Dearest Angels,

I got an anti fungal powder from Amazon.  I use it at least once a day.  Thanks for all the ideas.

Hugs,  Elaine

anita

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
Apple cider vinegar is also a great way to treat this type of rash...typically candida related.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran