Author Topic: Lacrimal gland swelling  (Read 305 times)

Sharon

Lacrimal gland swelling
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »
The swelling beneath my eyebrows has finally been diagnosed as lacrimal gland inflammation.
This after having it dismissed or wrongly diagnosed by about a dozen eye doctors over the past 2.5 years.
I was even laughed at by a few doctors when I suggested it was lacimal gland inflammation in the past
(what do I know- I'm just living with this on a daily basis... ::)).
However, nobody seems to know how to treat it.
Not even Prednisone has helped with this symptom.
Any ideas or experience anyone?
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Orencia, Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D & C, Ubiquinol 200mg, Omega 3...

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Lacrimal gland swelling
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:49:43 PM »
I would assume that you have used warm packs. Also, have you taken Restasis for dry eyes??? This might decrease the inflammation in the lacrimal glands as the Restasis is given or inflammation. Might be worth a try. I would check with your eye doctor. Irish

Sharon

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:29:52 AM »
Thanks irish, warm packs did not help and neither did Restasis (I've been on it for about 2 years).
The eye doctors have no other suggestions.
Sjogren's (+ RA?) positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth & eyes,, eyelid swelling & redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, severe joint pain, multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 

GgcJap

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:11:40 AM »
Just a thought and it might be totally irrelevant but Could it be fibrosis and not just inflammation? Could explain it not reacting to steroids.

GgcJap
38yo Australian M (living in Japan)
Blood work negative, biopsy negative,
Dry eyes, mouth, nose, random muscle pains at random times
Evoxac, Plaquenil

Sharon

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
Interesting thought GgcJap....at first the swelling would come and go and now it always seems
to be there to some extent (sometimes more) so there may be some fibrosis at this point as well.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »
Have you had ct scans or any other testing to see if the tubes from lacrimal glands are swollen shut or if they have stones. It seems like you would have pain if there was a back up of any tears, etc. I know we do't make much tears, but if there is a small amount produced and a swollen duct I would think there would be pain. Sometimes we just have to live with all of our owies cause so many of them have no fix or even explanation. Such is the life of autoimmune. That does't mean it is fun. Good luck. Irish

Sharon

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
Thanks irish, so true about no fixes or explanations for many of our woes... :-\
I had a ct scan about 2 years ago.
Things may have changed since but true there is no pain in that area.
My dryness has gotten worse the more inflamed it gets though.
Even if they found out the lacrimal glands had stones or the tubes were swollen shut-
what could they do about it?

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:38:05 PM »
Have you used other meds besides the Orencia?  I am wondering if Plaquenil or methotrexate has been tried. Forgive me if you have gone through this already on another thread. Irish

Sharon

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 06:51:28 AM »
Yes irish, I tried those meds in the past but suffered intolerances to them.