Author Topic: searching for new non pc job  (Read 211 times)

Lotus1

searching for new non pc job
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »
At 59 yrs I'm determined to find a new non office job to at least escape the computer with my dry eyes.
This is a real challenge with a hubby who can only work 1 hour a day with his health issues.
The thought of losing my secure 4 days/week government position is overwhelming, the pay needs to be similar.

Think I'll need to be brave and walk into businesses face to face asking for work.

Will I chicken out & plod along in discomfort another 9 yrs, mmmm.

Just sharing my feelings.  Thanks for listening.

Lotus1

A Mom on Spin

• She's Come Undun
Re: searching for new non pc job
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:32:32 AM »
Lotus1,

I'm sorry about your eyes.  The pc screen can be really taxing and aggravating to dry eyes. 

Just a thought. .  . Can you speak to someone in HR or perhaps an ombudsman about your condition and see if there's another job within the government they can transfer you to for medical reasons?  I would think the government would be set up to grant medical accommodations.  This way you would be able to keep accruing your pension.

Liz
www.amomonspin.com
Primary SJS. RA & lupus. Positive ANA, SSA, CCP, SJO-70, RNP/SM, & anti-phospholipid antibodies. Small fiber neuropathy, bi-lateral carpal tunnel. 
Meds: Placquenil, restasis, gabapentine, pantoprazole, Effexor, Celebrex  
Supplements:  V D, omega 3, biotin, calcium, magnesium

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:42:20 AM »
Try wearing HD (Yellow or blue blocker) sun glasses with the computer screen. That was my next step before I was laid off. If I have a busy computer day I will put on HD glasses.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:26:40 AM »
Dearest Lotus,  My general sense is that you won't find a job 'out there' that doesn't involve a PC and is equal in benefits to your secure government position.

And IF you do find it, my guess is that it won't 1) pay enough and 2) will go to someone younger.

I'm sorry to be such a downer.  But as a former director of HR with an MBA, my experience and my 'sense of the market' tells me that you are just 'touching base with reality' so that you will in fact be prepared to 'tough it out'.

People do this all the time.  ADVICE:  Don't quite current job.  Explore the market before making any decisions.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Blepharitis-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega Fish Oil,

SjoGirl

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »
Lotus I hate to say it, but I agree with Carolina. Two years ago I was downgraded from a FT job to 3/4 time and then halftime (halftime = no benefits), which I believe was all due to fact that I have SjS and medical insurance costs to cover me were high.

I've tried interviewing for jobs and barely get interviews, during one two people asked me why a "professional like you who is sooooo experienced would want the job" in other words you are OLD.

I am fortunate to have found PT work and am doing some consulting, but would not have health benefits were it not for my husband.

In addition to glasses you might learn some exercises to help with PC muscle pain if that is an issue. I have found those to be helpful.
Raynauds, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Reclast (once), Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Gabapentin,Valacyclovir, Evoxac, Nexium, acetaminophen, Tramadol.

Lotus1

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »
Thank you all for your concern, suggestions & listening.

Yes, I know you're all right.  I'm 'dreaming' of finding anything without a pc, lights, air con and too old probably.

Liz, HR can't offer me anything else.  I asked about working from home even, but there are no work from home jobs.

Joe, I wear FL41 orange tinted big prescribed glasses which helps with glare.

It looks like continue plodding along like all of you do also.
I'm running out of patience after so many years of putting up with things.

I need to change my mindset, get positive, will work on it.

Blessings to you all as you soldier on with this illness.

Lotus1

araminta

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 03:24:13 AM »
I'm so sorry you are in this situation.   I'm in the UK so know nothing about the American job market, but I'm wondering if there's anything else in your life that could be changed to reduce your outgoings - downsizing where you live for instance, taking in a lodger?   But no doubt you've thought about that already.
Dry eyes (MGD),dry nose, dry mouth, labyrinthitis, rashes, dry skin, mouth ulcers, constant but fluctuating fatigue.  Blood tests and Schirmers negative and no Sjogrens dx yet.   Flax oil, multivitamins,  saline nasal spray, Hylo forte, Lacrilube, organic castor oil for eyes.

Lotus1

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 03:13:50 PM »
Liz, I never thought of approaching the ombudsman, mmm.

Yes, Araminta, thank you for your concern, we live in a duplex. 
Have been thinking about different options if needed.

BTW I live in Australia so our jobs aren't tied up with the medical system like the US.

I've increased my krill oil to 5000 per day & begun using collagen the last few weeks.
I'm noticing some improvement the last few days.
Wondering if I'll 'get over the line' like the person using the collagen protocol posted (no longer has dry eyes/mouth).

Here's the link to his blog he posted on the sjogrens forum in case you didn't see it & are interested:

http://www.whatyousjo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/My-Sjogren?s-Recovery-Journey-_-My-Recovery-from-Sjogrens-Syndrome.pdf

Will keep you all posted if I improve to the stage of defeating the dry eyes especially/mouth also so I don't get more lymphoma.

I'll be over the moon if I do accomplish my mission so you'll certainly hear about it LOL

Lotus1

SjoGirl

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
Hello Lotus,

Believe me I understand what can seem like unrealistic expectations. I occasionally apply for jobs then on days when I am deeply fatigued ask myself how I think I would get through the day if I did get the job.

FYI I've found reading about and trying to practice resilience helpful. FYI this piece from the APA: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/road-resilience.aspx

Good luck with working on developing a new way of looking at things.
Raynauds, Primary SjS, osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusions,stenosis, Carpal tunnel,  poly neuropathy, myoclonus, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, viral infection, Leukopenia. Reclast (once), Restasis, Vitamin D, B12, Gabapentin,Valacyclovir, Evoxac, Nexium, acetaminophen, Tramadol.

Deb 27

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:10:47 PM »
Lotus, I understand what you are going through. This disease and other AI diseases can be a real struggle. I've been struggling for several years now and it's rough, to be honest..... I have worked with some computers and they didn't seem to bother my eyes and others, very much so.  I did work this one job that on top of being very stressful, it did seem to really bother my eyes where previous jobs have not. I think it was the intensity with which I had to work. I turned 62 in January and while I don't really want to retire, the SJS and RA leave me with nothing at the end of the day. I am considering retirement. I have considered trying for disability but just don't have the energy or money to wait.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 10:01:56 AM »
I'm sure part of the problem in dry eyes when working with computers has something to do with the AIR dryness and quality in the room and in the building.

That might account for variations in 'dryness' working with computers from job to job

Just a thought.

There are many variables for dryness.  And some environments have more chemicals in the air from type of carpeting and cleaning solutions used.

Hugs,  Elaine
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:47:48 PM by Carolina »
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Blepharitis-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega Fish Oil,

Lotus1

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 04:40:13 PM »
Deb 27 it would be nice if you could retire.
I can't get a retirement pension until at least 67.5 yrs.  They keep increasing the retirement age.
I've emailed the opthalmologist advising the serum eye drops didn't work.  No reply yet.
No point going to another appt.

Yes, Elaine air con/heating & fluro lights don't help at all along with the computer.

Humorus hubby suggested we breed puppies & sell them.  I wouldn't be at the office.
A brilliant idea NOT!!

Lotus1