Author Topic: Pilocarpine news (in the UK)  (Read 463 times)

oddsox

Pilocarpine news (in the UK)
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:23:29 AM »
Hi fellow UK members.
 I have just been told, Pilocarpine is now available from Alliance Healthcare.
We sure need it in this weather.   :o  Fingers crossed they don't have a problem distributing it like the other manufacturers have.
 :D :D  :D
Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos, Fibromyalgia.

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
Re: Pilocarpine news (in the UK)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:30:02 AM »
Hi,
    I couldn't live without my pilocarpine.  I do know the other cholinergic meds are used successfully as well.  Pilo was discovered in the 19th century and is one of the WHO's essential medicines.  WHO...WORLD Health Organizations.  Britain is subject to recommendations of the WHO as well as here in the US. 
    When I googled pilo probs in the UK, a bunch of articles from the '70s popped up regarding dispensing the liquid...in relationship for glaucoma OR for elderly patients who are unable to swallow pills.  Well...in nearly 50 years, a lot has changed---and especially in a) recognition of sjogren's, and b) the treatment of same.  Seems like a little "Lost in Time" for the UK Health system.  Seriously. 
     If I didn't use this med, I could not breathe properly, I could not sleep---and I couldn't eat.  ALL of those are essential to living.  I was not diagnosed until I was 71.  I was not breathing properly, sleeping properly, nor eating the correct foods due to being unable to swallow properly.  Zero to no lubrication in my esophagus.  This lasted nearly 30 years, even though it progressed over those years...that is to say...worst at the end prior to dx.
     Good luck with the progress going on with the UK having access to this medicine.  Hope it works for you.  :)
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene