Author Topic: Salivary Gland Disorders  (Read 174 times)

Judie P

Salivary Gland Disorders
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
Just went today to a dentist who is familiar with Sjogrens.  He took a ton of x-rays and showed me that I had calcium-rich stones in my salivary glands.  I could actually see them!  How many of you have the same problem?  They evidently block the saliva from entering the mouth.  One of the causes of calcium stones is Sjogrens.  He knew that I had been diagnosed with Sjogren's two years ago through blood work.  However, he said he was double-diagnosing through the stones and did not need to do a lip biopsy.
Primary SJS, SS-A >8, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, asthma, Effexor, Vitamin D 1,000mg, magnesium, Motrin, Ayr Nasal Gel, Ayr nasal mist, Optique 1 eye drops

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Salivary Gland Disorders
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
I have stones and have had them for years. Actuallly, if you drink plenty of fluids and put heat on your glands and then massage them gently one can help move the stones along when they are small. This helps to keep the ducts more open and keeps the pain down. If you ever have excruciating pain ion the side of your face you will know that a stone is trying to pass through the ducts. It is very miserable.

Lots of these stones will pass on their own when they are very small and like fine sand or gravel. I had to have my right submandibular gland removed in 2009 because of stones and infection. Don't miss it one bit. Most people with Sjogrens probably have stones but are unaware of it because no one has informed them of this symptom. Also, many people don't do searches online to sort out the info on their health issues. Can't believe everything on line, but it does' help to make one think. Check with the university sites and the info is probably more truthful. Lots of misinformation online. Take care and good luck. Irish

cccourt1942

• Suffered from numerous symptoms for about 25 years
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:56:41 PM »
Judie
You are lucky to have found this dentist.  I never had any tests, just an ENT who called my sialadenitis (severe + frequent) sludge in my parotids. HURT> so bad hurt!  My ENT NEVER suggested I had SjS.  He would just say it was a common problem.  I suffered for 5 years with what I referred to my blowfish look (the sludge (or stones) ) would stop up the duct and my side cheek would look like someone had blown up a balloon.  Instant bacterial infection!  Finally a dx...but by that time 5 of my 6 salivary glands had atrophied. Actually...I was old at dx, and they had probably been in the process of that ultimate condition for decades.  Tell your friends and your local SjS group your dentist's name---and tell him thanks for all of us who need good medical/dental professionals treating Sjogren's.
ccc
Sjogren's, Psoriasis, Hashimoto's, Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Cold hands/feet,  fatigue,  pilocarpine-25 mg , Restasis, Plaquenil, Low dose Prednisone (2-3 mg daily) Xylimelt, Citrucel, Alcon-Naturale, Tears,Omega 3, Vit.D, Caltrate+D3, Fosamax, CoQ10, Zinc, Oxtellar. Levothyroxene

Sharon

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 02:44:43 PM »
I "blow up" in the salivary glands when I chew food or when I'm severely dry.
It was suspected I had calcium stones or other blockage or even plain old inflammation causing this
peculiar phenomenon, but nothing has been found to explain it in my case. I had US before and after chewing food, 3 sialographies, endoscopy of the salivary glands and finally MRI. Nothing. 
Sjogren's, positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth, eyelid swelling, nasal congestion, eye redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, joint pain
multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D 10,000 IU, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3, Curcumin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 06:52:18 PM »
Sharon, I wonder if swell up at these time because you are eating. The act of eating will stimulate the glands to secrete the saliva. With the Sjogrens our saliva is so thick and so little that sometimes we don't have much if any and other times we have more saliva.

The act of eating and chewing could set the flow of thick saliva in motion and this could cause the swelling I would think. The thick saliva moves very slowly and it could back up in the ducts and cause the swelling. I would think you could have pain at these times also. Good luck. Irish

Sharon

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 02:46:35 AM »
That's an interesting theory Irish!
I thought as well the swelling might be due to thick sluggish saliva triggered
by eating (No pain at those times). So I took Mucinex (guaifanesin) to thin the mucus out
but it actually made the swelling much worse and I began getting swelling even without chewing with the guaifanesin.
It's just bizarre.... ???
Any ideas what else I might try?
Sjogren's, positive ANA, RNP, RNP-A, APCA salivary gland swelling, dry mouth, eyelid swelling, nasal congestion, eye redness, photosensitivity, fatigue, joint pain
multiple sensitivities and allergic reactions 
Restasis, Paleo Diet, Vit. D 10,000 IU, Ubiquinol 100mg, Omega 3, Curcumin

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »
The swelling may just be from the inflammation. The inflammation of the salivary glands is associated with the influx of the white blood cells. This is probably what causes the pain and swelling in so many of our issues. When our body is in high autoimmune mode the antibodies increase resulting in more white blood cells. The white blood cells usually come to save us from infections, etc. but in autoimmune they get confused and actually try to kill off specific cells of our body. In Sjogrens the cells being attacked are the cells in the secreter glands. Many people do have swelling of the side of the face/neck that comes and goes. Irish