Author Topic: International Bereaved Mother's Day  (Read 516 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
International Bereaved Mother's Day
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »
Last Sunday, May 7th, was International Bereaved Mother's Day.  With Mother's Day coming up this Sunday, May 14th in the USA, I thought I would post this. A friend of my sister-in-law posted this on Facebook and I have permission to re-post it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is International Bereaved Mother's Day. It is intended to be a temporary movement because the hope is that Mother's Day will someday include more options for those mothers who have experienced the death of a child no matter what age or gestation. We also need to remember those who have empty arms because of infertility. Mother's Day is sometimes overwhelming for me because of the deaths of three of my four children...our lives have changed drastically...we hardly recognize the family we have become...it is so different than we ever imagined and for the last 6 years we have not seen much change. Our son Nathan's birthday is May 12th and often is the same day as Mother's Day. It seems cruel in many ways. We have truly accepted the truth of our faith and that hope gives us comfort as well as the freedom to carry sorrow knowing that God walks with us and gives us strength. For all those mothers who share this pain, I offer the gift of remembering them in our prayers and saying their child's name out loud as well as weeping with them. Forever in my thoughts and prayers for the many other grieving mothers who I know, as well as those I have not yet met.     Roxann

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whenever holidays or special days come up in families, it often brings time of sadness for people, even if it is a joyful holiday.  Sadness over loved ones who have passed, and no longer attend these events.  Sadness over estranged relationships that they don't share holidays as others do. 

To all our members here at Sjogren's World - whether you are a mother, grandmother, adopted mother, foster mother, mother of fur-babies - Happy Mother's Day.

To those of you with grieving hearts and arms because you are not a mother, or have lost a child, or your mother is no longer living -  thinking of you and sending prayers of comfort.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: International Bereaved Mother's Day
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 02:52:00 AM »
What a beautifully written and sincere sentiment.

I often think, on Mother's, Father's or Sibling's Day, that there are so many people to whom these days bring up remembrances of loss rather than joy, even those who lost elderly parent's and can celebrate full lives and joyful memories.

While being empathetic, it's sometimes difficult not to feel guilty, but please remember, celebrating your own joy isn't meant to offend those remembering loss. Many times they too would like to remember the joy of someone's presence in their life, not dwell on the absence, so try to include them, talk about their loved one, let them know that person had and has a place in your life as well. Nothing makes me sadder than the thought of people avoiding the mention of someone because they think you don't want to be reminded.....you don't meed a reminder, that person is always in your heart, and it's nice to know someone else remembers, too.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Deb 27

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »
Well said, thank you.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, multi vitamin.

quietdynamics

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 08:59:17 AM »

I was fortunate that following a second miscarriage I came across a gathering ceremony for parents who had lost a child. It was at a Moravian Church in Bethlehem, Pa. At the end we formed a circle. We held handmade long lite  tapers during the service.. and at the end, one by one we each took our turn to blow out the candle... "let go". I faltered at blowing out that light, but, I did and felt relief. Sadness can cripple us and those around us.

Part of living life is learning to let go.. not forget.. but, "let go". 
It is a lesson I learned and helped me "let go" of other passings.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
What beautiful sentiments on this subject.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane, Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventil.