Author Topic: Call out about this years first trip MPLS to Baton Rouge  (Read 384 times)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Call out about this years first trip MPLS to Baton Rouge
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:29:16 PM »
We made it to Baton Rouge. The trip was more of a challenge than I would like. Jan drove the whole way. The first day from MPLS to Springfield, IL was the first full day on a lantus replacement called Basaglar. I was having some chest pain and a lot of head coming from my heart chakra on my chest. I turned the AC in the car down to 65 degrees in an atempt to cool down.

When we got to the hotel I was very shaky and thought that I needed something to eat. I was still shaky when we returned to our room I turned the Temperature down and slept for an hour and a half.

The next day I still had the high core heat. After calling my doctor, we went to Prompt Care. They sent us to the ER where we waited for them to decide that I was having trouble with the new insulin. The heat radiating from me was felt strongly by the nurse and the intern.

On the way to Memphis I learned that my new SPF 40 pants were not. I had a sun triggered Sjogren's reaction. I dropped the temp on my side of the car to 67 and covered my body with several blankets to block the sun. I used this strategy to make it to Baton Rouge. I will be using it on the way home.

We have had some very good meals recommended by a local tour driver. The air conditioning at the River Center is very cold. The bowlers love it. I will be bring a hoody with me from now on so I can watch.

Good Night for now.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Call out about this years first trip MPLS to Baton Rouge
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:38:15 AM »
I am glad that you made it to Baton Rouge but sorry that you had such a rough trip. Hopefully the weather will behave itself so you can have a great trip. I bet the music and the food are great down there. I would love to be able to travel but that is not in the cards for me so I will enjoy you stories.

Tell Jan she is included in all this well wishing. Hope your diabetes behaves itself. It is hard to be diabetic when there is a lot of good food around. Thankfully the seafood is low in carbs so can eat a fair amount of them. Take care. Irish

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
There was a Joe's Crab Shack near us on our first night here. It was the worst food we have had in ages. They had no lemon for Jan's crab. My butterfly shrimp was burned!?!

A local guide for another group told us of Jason's Deli. A great salad bar, and good soups, sandwiches, and lunch plates. We have had several lunches there.

Next was The Parisian. Great Rib eye, salads, craw fish, Shrimp, gator, and other dishes. One gal (Jen) ordered 3 entrees, and 4 appetizers. They loved the wine and craft brew. The alley driveway was a bit confusing and the outside reminded me of what a Crab Shack was developed from.

We next went to Sammy's. I thought it was just a small local road side dive. The Rib Eye was good but not melt in your mouth like at the Parisian. The blacken gator was fixed a little different. They had a good stuffed baked potato that everyone loved. Afterword Jan and I had a strawberry cheesecake that was large and good. Jean and Jen shared a slice of homemade milky way. OMG was that good.

Jan made her average three times in nine games. Twice in doubles and once in singles. Her highest series was a 500. We do not know if she will get any money back as this is the first week of the tournament.

I was able to pick up Lantus on Monday. Later on tonight, after sundown, I will load our minivan for tomorrows trip to NOLA. We will try to arrive by 9:30 am as that is when the first bus tour starts. We are looking at a hop-on / hop-off. The bus trip is 2 hours but we can have guided tours at some stops or roam as we like.

I would like to get home as soon as we can. When we get back home we will check into UV tint for the car. I will also need to check in with several doctors.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:54:33 PM »
At Jason's Deli, Jan and Jean liked: the Salmon Pacifica Salad with cucumber-dill vinaigrette; Chicken Pot Pie; Beefeater Sandwich. They are located in many states but this is the first time we were exposed to it.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
Man, the food sounds so awesome.  Have you found the food prices to be lower that around the Midwest?? I have heard that they are cheaper but that was awhile ago.

If that was me on that trip I would gain a minimum of 10 pounds and my blood sugars would be off the map. But sure would be fun. I love shrimp and just about everything else I can get my hands on. Except blood sausage!!  Safe traveling. Irish

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 03:36:46 PM »
We did a 2 hour tour of NOLA it covered the central business district (CBD as they call it). If I could walk better I sould of taken all of the side trips on the 3 day pass. At the end of the bus tour, one of the hosts suggested that we try Middendorf's restaurant on Interstate 55 about 30 minutes out. I had my usual Rib Eye, which had so much pepper and spice that after cleaning it off I could not finish it. I burned for an hour after. Jan had the sea food platter. She fell in love with the thin sliced fried catfish. I thought it looked like thin yellow crusted leather. She has had it again for lunch today and is hoping to find it for supper.

We spent last night (Wednesday) in Memphis. We got in so late that all we could do is order a small pizza for supper. We keep running into a lot of people on senior and other tours. This afternoon at one Love's in Arkansas, we found gas for $1.98/gal. So we had to fill up. It was $2.02 in Baton Rouge and has ranged up to $2.40 in Wisconsin.

We checked into the hotel in Springfield, IL again tonight. Jan may decide to spent two nights here to see everything. I have to chart courses for 1/2 day drive time if she does not want to spend a full day here. She is reclined in my chair and has been snoring for an hour. She is doing all the driving on this trip and I am randomly falling asleep. She pokes me to change the CD of what ever current book we are listening to. At each stop, we look for new books that we have not heard.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
So you are heading north now. Sounds like this has been a fast and busy trip. Also sounds like you have had some good food. Hope the weather stays for the rest of your trip. It was sunny and more warm today--maybe 50 but the wind is chilly. Tomorrow or Sat is supposed to be up in the 50's and ssunny but rain on Sunday and Monday.

Drive safe and enjoy the rest of your trip. Irish

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »
We got home tonight. Apparently Springfield, IL is hard on me. While in the the entry for the Lincoln Museum after seeing the exhibits I got an allergy attack. On the road home I got a call from Joe;s Crab Shack Corporate. They are sending us a gift card we can use anywhere. I also got a call from the ER in Springfield to see how I was doing. Generic meals on the way home. The road coming home were ruff and triggered a migraine. Having SPF 40 pants made a difference UV not triggering problems with pain. It was nice not being double teamed. We went through a lot of books on tape while we were driving.

The Lincoln Museum was a great tour. I wish we had more time to tour the other exhibits there. (The rail station, his law practice and grave site).

Our next trip is the end of June through the beginning of July. We will try to get UV block on car windows. I may sleep more. We do not plan on fancy meals for this next trip.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Glad you and Jan got home safely---though not very healthily for you. This was such a fast trip that I bet both of you are exhausted. Rest up so you can have a good trip in June and give us another play by play. Irish

P.S. Only the chronically ill will get to know so many ER's and hospitals as they travel the country. Don't know if this is something to brag about though...comes with the territory doesn't it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:22:34 PM by irish »

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
Thank you, Irish. We are relaxing, catching up on shows and planning the June trip.

You are correct about the ER rooms. I have seen many over the years.

Bailey was happy to see us today. She loved getting home and running in her yard. She spent most of the afternoon out hunting.

Traveling takes planning. If my meds were not changed I would not have visited the ER. Having SPF 30-50 clothing helps make the sun exposure less dramatic. I have a small screen that I put up on my window that helps. I wear SPF copper gloves and hat. Blue / UV sun glasses help my eyes. We have an overnight bag with Pajamas and bathroom comforts. We also have a bag of pillows, blankets, and CPap. I have a folding zero-G chair that I use for sleeping on the road. Our medications are packed in the overnight bag.

When the sun got to my legs because one pair of pants was not SPF rated I pulled the blanket from the pillow bag, dropped the temp on my side to 65F and covered with a blanket. This was a plan Jan and I worked out in case I jad to wear my Jeans. Plan solutions for the challenges that you may face ahead of time. Things do happen that we have not planned for. We need to know what to do when things go wrong. What counteracts a burning spice? What do you do if you get too much sun? Do you have a care giver traveling with you? What happens if you run out of medications?

With planning you can travel. Bring records of your meds, supplements, and doctors. When driving I Use "Next Exit", "Gas Buddy", and a good GPS that is up to date on its data.

A Cell Phone, is very nice. When we were on the road, we would see how we were feeling  and then call and book our hotel room. We would then plug the address into the GPS and know when we should arrive.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 07:05:59 PM »
We will all stay tuned for the next installment. Irish