Author Topic: What do you do for pleasure?  (Read 221 times)

AnneNeville

What do you do for pleasure?
« on: April 01, 2017, 05:24:38 AM »
    Now that I'm not anxious, I can do all kinds of things that I couldn't before. That is bringing a lot of pleasure back into my life (and frustration, when I feel too tired and weak, but I mentally WANT to be doing stuff).

These are my main outlets:

• Socializing cats for a local animal shelter. I am the resident cat whisperer/psychologist, and I've pondered whether I could turn this into a part time profession, because I really have a knack for it.
    • Dancing Argentine tango with my husband. We LOVE to dance together. This one I'm not able to do well right now, because my double vision makes me motion sick and I feel weak and wobbly on the Prednisone, but I hope to get back to it soon.
    • Sewing, which I can do from home.
    I'm really expanding this right now, since I am not dancing. Since being under treatment, I have totally reorganized my sewing room, gotten new machines to enhance my sewing, and actually began cutting into some of my nice wool fabric that I had not allowed myself to cut before (out of anxiety that I'd ruin it). VERY rewarding to be able to return to this, and I am able to find support and advice from other people with chronic illnesses and vision problems who sew.

What do you do for pleasure?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:25:17 AM by AnneNeville »
Diagnosed with primary SS 2/2017 after 20+ years. Double vision from 6th nerve palsy, severe anxiety (now gone!), fatigue, dry eyes. Now: 20mg Prednisone (burst), 200 mg Plaquenil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Restasis, Xiidra.

Ohiocat

Re: What do you do for pleasure?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
Is there life beyond work?     :-\
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

Bigleyj

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »
I bought a blow up spa/hot tub. It's terrific! I use it nearly every day for at keast half an hour.  Bliss 😀
Female, 44 Yrs, Victoria, Australia. 
Diagnosed SJS Nov 2014, diagnosed skin-only Lupus Dec 2014, overactive thyroid medicated since 2011.
 plaquenil, carbimazole, escitalopram (esipram), second generation oral saliwell stent, vitamin D.
Came off low dose Valium mid-2015 😀

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:06:39 AM »
Currently I watch TV. Manage my emails and facebook posts. I watch my wife bowl.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:21:19 AM »

I have recently got out my embroidery again. It has been years since I have worked at it.
My dexterity with the needle is not well, currently I am looking for 2 needles that I have
dropped in chair, couch cushions  ..rug......Never even noticed it fell out of
my fingers. The bones in my fingers, hand and wrist do not tolerate much
sewing and I have to just set it down for a day or maybe a week till I can do more.

Some gardening I can still do if it's in the shade and I can sit on an upside down
milk crate. Mostly make my own hanging baskets and window boxes.

Bird watching at my feeders.

I would love, love .....to be able to just go for hours long walks like I use too.
Oh, I miss my 10 speed bike and would ride for an hour plus.....bliss.

):);

shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »
I sing in a group

I do scrap booking and make greeting cards.

I play quite a few online games - which I guess is wasting time - but it keeps my head occupied.
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »
I watch TV but am choosy about what I watch. I also read a lot, crochet some, do a fair amount of research on line on all kinds of things. I also am feeling some better and am going to the library about 3 times a week and read the papers and magazines and visit a little. I was raised 1/2 block from this library and now live about 3 blocks from it.

I love the smell of the library that hits you when you open the door. We have some boxes on a shelf in the entry where people bring their old magazines. It is a good place to get rid of the magazines and it a great place to dig through and pick out magazines to take home to read.

The library also has magazines to read that are different and good. I find that getting out is good for me and it helps me adjust to being out with people more. This year was hard and didn't get out much and I find that tends to make me more of a loner which isn't always good. Irish

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »

Ahh , yes the library. Our local library has an area that is really a large living room.

Lots of coushy chairs, a couch or two, end tables, lamps.....they have their regulars

who come to socialize, read the papers, etc.....when I go in there, it's like friends/relatives

relaxing together.

Yes, the smell....paper and ink' sometimes reminds me of school

shelly

medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Deb 27

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
I like to swim in the summer, go to the beach (with tons of sunscreen) and spending time with my dogs. I also like to make jewelry and scrapbook but haven't done much of that lately.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement.