Author Topic: What do you do for pleasure?  (Read 986 times)

AnneNeville

What do you do for pleasure?
« on: April 01, 2017, 05:24:38 AM »
    Now that I'm not anxious, I can do all kinds of things that I couldn't before. That is bringing a lot of pleasure back into my life (and frustration, when I feel too tired and weak, but I mentally WANT to be doing stuff).

These are my main outlets:

• Socializing cats for a local animal shelter. I am the resident cat whisperer/psychologist, and I've pondered whether I could turn this into a part time profession, because I really have a knack for it.
    • Dancing Argentine tango with my husband. We LOVE to dance together. This one I'm not able to do well right now, because my double vision makes me motion sick and I feel weak and wobbly on the Prednisone, but I hope to get back to it soon.
    • Sewing, which I can do from home.
    I'm really expanding this right now, since I am not dancing. Since being under treatment, I have totally reorganized my sewing room, gotten new machines to enhance my sewing, and actually began cutting into some of my nice wool fabric that I had not allowed myself to cut before (out of anxiety that I'd ruin it). VERY rewarding to be able to return to this, and I am able to find support and advice from other people with chronic illnesses and vision problems who sew.

What do you do for pleasure?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:25:17 AM by AnneNeville »
Diagnosed with primary SS 2/2017 after 20+ years. Double vision from 6th nerve palsy, severe anxiety (now gone!), fatigue, dry eyes. Now: 12.5 mg Prednisone (burst), 200 mg Plaquenil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Restasis, Xiidra.

Ohiocat

Re: What do you do for pleasure?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
Is there life beyond work?     :-\
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

Bigleyj

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »
I bought a blow up spa/hot tub. It's terrific! I use it nearly every day for at keast half an hour.  Bliss 😀
Female, 44 Yrs, Victoria, Australia. 
Diagnosed SJS Nov 2014, diagnosed skin-only Lupus Dec 2014, overactive thyroid medicated since 2011.
 plaquenil, carbimazole, escitalopram (esipram), second generation oral saliwell stent, vitamin D.
Came off low dose Valium mid-2015 😀

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:06:39 AM »
Currently I watch TV. Manage my emails and facebook posts. I watch my wife bowl.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:21:19 AM »

I have recently got out my embroidery again. It has been years since I have worked at it.
My dexterity with the needle is not well, currently I am looking for 2 needles that I have
dropped in chair, couch cushions  ..rug......Never even noticed it fell out of
my fingers. The bones in my fingers, hand and wrist do not tolerate much
sewing and I have to just set it down for a day or maybe a week till I can do more.

Some gardening I can still do if it's in the shade and I can sit on an upside down
milk crate. Mostly make my own hanging baskets and window boxes.

Bird watching at my feeders.

I would love, love .....to be able to just go for hours long walks like I use too.
Oh, I miss my 10 speed bike and would ride for an hour plus.....bliss.

):);

shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »
I sing in a group

I do scrap booking and make greeting cards.

I play quite a few online games - which I guess is wasting time - but it keeps my head occupied.
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »
I watch TV but am choosy about what I watch. I also read a lot, crochet some, do a fair amount of research on line on all kinds of things. I also am feeling some better and am going to the library about 3 times a week and read the papers and magazines and visit a little. I was raised 1/2 block from this library and now live about 3 blocks from it.

I love the smell of the library that hits you when you open the door. We have some boxes on a shelf in the entry where people bring their old magazines. It is a good place to get rid of the magazines and it a great place to dig through and pick out magazines to take home to read.

The library also has magazines to read that are different and good. I find that getting out is good for me and it helps me adjust to being out with people more. This year was hard and didn't get out much and I find that tends to make me more of a loner which isn't always good. Irish

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »

Ahh , yes the library. Our local library has an area that is really a large living room.

Lots of coushy chairs, a couch or two, end tables, lamps.....they have their regulars

who come to socialize, read the papers, etc.....when I go in there, it's like friends/relatives

relaxing together.

Yes, the smell....paper and ink' sometimes reminds me of school

shelly

medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Deb 27

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
I like to swim in the summer, go to the beach (with tons of sunscreen) and spending time with my dogs. I also like to make jewelry and scrapbook but haven't done much of that lately.
Sjogrens and RA,  Morphea (skin scleroderma), Hashimoto's, 
Nexium, synthroid, HRT, plaquenil,  prozac, Restasis, Maxi-tears supplement, L-glutathionne, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, multi vitamin.

Nomad

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »
There is a library near where we are moving and I haven't gone inside yet, but the outside is very pretty. I can't wait to go inside and "rediscover" the library. Funny, at a time when people (especially young people) are getting away from the library, I long to go back.

I like to go to the movies, or rent one or watch something very interesting on Netflex.

On occassion, I like to read a good book.

SLE, Sj.  Syndrome, IC, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, ITP (low platelets)... Various meds and lots of vitamins. Trying to eat healthy; seems to help a little.

Pepita933

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »
I can see that we share many of the same hobbies.  I enjoyed singing in the band for the contemporary worship service.  I have 2 quilting bees that I go to 2 times a week.  I belong to the local quilting guild.  Each of these things envolve doing things for others and pulling myself out of my vegistaive state!

The service I sang in closed, and 1 of my bees looks like it will stop, time to find new things.  My daughter is planning her wedding for early next year so we have been working on all sorts of interesting projects like using Silouette Cameo to design and make her wedding save the date and invitations.  Macrame for a back drop for her wedding going to see her to buy a wedding gown. 

Guess I am busier than I thought!
Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, achalasia, osteo arthritis, degenerative disc disease, hypo thyroid,(no thyroid),

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 07:10:36 AM »
Dearest Sjogren's Angels,

Ahh, you all do some interesting things.  And even working, which is necessary and often fulfilling.

At 75, disabled in so many ways I enjoy:

3 book clubs

New York Times cross word puzzles

On line Bridge (Bridge Baron) and a bridge group that meets once a month.

TV Series watching (really some great shows!)

Family.  We are part of a very large family, and our son, his wife and four children live 115 minutes away.  We are also driving to Iowa to visit John's 91 year old brother and his wife, and attend his 60th HS reunion.

Travel:  To Germany.  We fly and have a rental car, so we can see things at our own pace.   Just being there is the point for me.  Museums and cathedrals and castles I've seen endlessly and can't enjoy now.

Exercise the salt water pool, and the Nu-Step exercise machine.

Eating out with coupons.

I enjoy many things, even with my disabilities.

Hugs,  Elaine

Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Amitriptyline-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-FishOil

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:28 PM »
Well, I sew when I can. I am working on restoring an old quilt for my brother in law. His grandma had made it for him, and he ask if I could do anything to make it better. I am working hard on it, but slowly. I also work on some quilt blocks for making us a quilt. I enjoy it.

I also like reading a good book. Sometimes I will read one about what someone went through with struggles in their own life.

I love playing majhong online. I forget how you spell that. lol..

Today my dear husband ask me to come out on the front porch to see the different dogs sitting together away from our own 3 dogs in the yard. I think at one point we counted 7 when the neighbors dogs came. We are very curious, that one looked much like a coyote. We live next to the woods. I think there are a few coyote dogs around as we call them.

Me and hubby will enjoy watching certain tv shows. We are selective.

It was nice reading what all of you do for pleasure.

We love watching the birds too. Oh, I re-potted an African Violet that I keep in my little kitchen window. I use to plant a few flowers next to our porch, but I wasn't able to even do that this year.

Hugs Everyone!
susanep  :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane, Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventil.