Author Topic: Call out about this years first trip MPLS to Baton Rouge  (Read 995 times)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Call out about this years first trip MPLS to Baton Rouge
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:35:52 PM »
My wife is driving our dog Bailey and myself from Minneapolis to Baton Rouge We will be traveling through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Mississippi, and Louisiana primarily on I-55. This trip will be the end of April. What things should we stop to see? Should I call anyone? We plan on being in BRLA for 4 days. A side trip to NOLA. Stops in Memphis, other Cities along the route.

We have a new van that has lots of windows. Since I will not be driving, I will use a screen on my side window and a towel on my lap. I wear SPF 50 clothing and bring lots of water to drink on the trip. If we can travel you may be able to travel also.

It is about 20 hours of drive time. Plus time for rest breaks and food breaks.

Our next trip is to Campbell River, BC for a renewal of our vows on July 1. Going out we will be going through ND, MT, ID (north), WA, and BC. We have not decided on the trip back other than WA, and OR.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Call out about this years first trip MPLS to Baton Rouge
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:07:49 PM »
Boy, does that sound like fun for you folks. It will take planning and patience but you folks have the experience with these long haul trips so you will do fine., Glad you have a new vehicle cause that always makes for more fun and learning new ways to pack and store things. I remember you taking your recliner lawn chair along in the past...do you plan to do that again this time. I think I remembered that correctly.

Hope you have great weather and a very safe trip. Irish

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:35:56 PM »
You are correct Irish. I will be bringing my recliner. We may try some Ghost Hunting down south. I do a lot of planning. I have a book called "The Next Exit" that tells you what you will find at every exit on the Interstate. Some US highways are included. I found out that they have an app for $10. i try to book Handicap rooms in a hotel chain that allows dogs and provides breakfast. I look for favorite gas stops and cheapest Gas using an app. We have several favorite chain restaurants that I also mark. I check for rest stops, distances, mileage, and ETA. I try to estimate costs also.

I will also be bringing my walker this year.  Our van has 150 watts of AC so I am looking for a micro fridge for my insulin and some snacks. We pack a travel bag each of us and one overnight bag for the things we need each night. We have a small bin of emergency supplies.   
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, Goldenseal, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Boy, are your organized. You have the where, why, what and how much all figured out. Good way to travel----no surprises and keeps the cost down. One, thing is for sure, you are lucky that Jan likes to drive cause a lot of women don't like to. She drives and you ride shotgun and do the calculating.!!!!  What a great arrangement. Have a great trip. Irish

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »
thanks Irish. I am very lucky to have Jan as my wife for almost 45 years. What I try to have planned out are the things that I can controls. What I do not have planned are the things that I can not control like Sjogren's flairs, Fibro flairs, Sinus infections, heart attacks and bone breaks.

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »

My sister lives in Prairieville LA which is not far from Baton Rouge.  The only thing I
can think of is there is an island nearby that makes/grows peppers for Tobasco sauce !

Watch out for the mosquitos...they'll carry you away......and the annoying "love bugs".

You'll be there when the weather is still tolerable and not to hot to melt you.

shelly
medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »
"Love Bugs" what are those?

eye2dry

• Sjogrens, RA, hypothyroid
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:50:28 PM »

The love bugs are not harmful to you but are messy. They swarm in the spring
and mate and you can't sit anywhere, walk anywhere without crushing them,
swatting them out of your way.

If I remember right, they hook together and fly about/run about, wwhich makes
them even more bothersome.

My sister has two fences around her property/yard , which makes me feel better while outside.
They actually have alligators in the ditches and culverts on her road.

Never-the-less....beautiful....the trees with the Spanish moss,
old grave yards with the coffins made of stone or metal that sit above ground.

medications: synthroid- Cymbalta- plaquenil- lots of supplements

***Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am***

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:18:51 AM »
Good to know about the gators and walking the dog. Thank you.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 04:54:51 PM »
I bet that the area that raises the hot peppers is the same area where the Tobasco factory is. Some friends of mine toured that factory some years ago. Said it was interesting.

I bet they eat a lot of hot sauce on their good food down south. Irish

PS, You and Jan watch out for those crocs/alligators and have fun.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:56:54 PM by irish »

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »
Hot sauce and Sjogren's do not go together. Tobacco and alcohol do not interest me. Both contributed to dads death.

I am currently typing a list of Interstate exits and what can be found there. I will then work out sights and stops, Hotels and travel days. Packing lists will come in a couple of weeks. When I know how many days, I can pack my meds.

I am trying to figure out how to film the trip. I have not worked that one out yet. Hanging out the window of the minivan with a camera does not work very well.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 05:46:06 AM »
"On the road again!"  Joe and Willie Nelson.

Your trips are fabulous, Joe.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

Hugs,  Elaine
Female-75-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Achalasia-IBS-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-Intertrigo,Act.Purpura-Anemia-Copper Def-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-IVIG-Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-Copper-Cymbalta-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-B-12-Iron-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Fis

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 07:45:26 AM »
Elaine, I share them in the hopes that others will consider their options to enjoy life. A trip can be across town to see a movie or a play. A trip could be to an amusement park or going out to eat. It does not have to be just to see a doctor. Some activities can be done at night. I believe there are parks that night time shows of flowers with special lighting in some cities. Here we have a bridge that lights in a variety of colors.

I remember when I was young we would go to the end of the runway and watch planes take of and land. I have a friend who spends evenings in front of the fire ring at her cabin. Many summers we threw pot Luck BBQ's at our house. (It took a lot of Planning to run the Grill and avoid the sun).

Do not let this disease trap you in your house 24x7. Plan a walk (in the evening or at a shopping mall). Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed. Meet people and make new friends. Challenge yourself and push your limits. (I say this now as I am sitting in my sleeping recliner watching TV and typing on my Lap Top) <3 ;)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:05:56 PM »
Hanging out the window would make for bugs on the lens I would think. Irish

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »
Yep!. Picked up a dash cam today. I also got some video editing software to deal with movies and pictures. I have to upgrade the memory card on the camera from 8 hours to 32 hours (32Gb). It will also work off the car as a hand held video HD camera. Will it work for ghost busting? It logs accidents and warns of collision. It stamps the film with the GPS location and Time and Date.

The video edit software I have used before. It has a multitude of effects and capabilities. I have edited several videos for my use and family slide shows.